Castrol says no to dexos license

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quaker State says their older synth QTP and QHP are the same as QS UD, I was told this today. So, Dexos is really no big deal since a run of the mill A5 synth like QTP already meets it. I suppose it's not worthwhile to the oil cos to test against, and licence for, it.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Kuddos to Hyundai for being so high up on that list... Although I knew that because I own one and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.
thumbsup2.gif

i like hyundai too, but wht isn't kia right up their also. same engines and transmissions!

GM is no longer the respected powerhouse company it was when I was a kid. It is probably real easy for the oil companies to tell them to take a hike with the new certs. People are still going to buy and use their favorite brand of oil. BP gets to hold onto the cash. If they were FF it would be a different story.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Kuddos to Hyundai for being so high up on that list... Although I knew that because I own one and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.
thumbsup2.gif

i like hyundai too, but wht isn't kia right up their also. same engines and transmissions!

Same engines and transmissions, not necessarily the same everything else. Also different factories.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Complaining about GM's quality control while ridiculing an attempt to improve it. Interesting.

Yeah you will find that with the typical GM detractor. They'll argue both ends against the middle. It's probably a sign that they don't really have a good basis.

How is this improving quality? This is all about money, not building quality cars. Look at the TSB where Mobil 1 is being taken off the filler cap. Why have Mobil 1 on the cap and get money from one company, when you can make a new standard and get money from multiple companies (except those that won't play- bravo!) This isn't about quality, this is about corporate greed, nothing more.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: gregmp
GM cars are on par with ford and honda now. Toyota is way behind.

Not exactly...

How much faith can you put in the J.D. Powers survey when Land Rover is tops? While I admire the legend, everyone I know that has ever owned one has to have a romance with it to live with the thing ..especially if it's new.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Not exactly...

How much faith can you put in the J.D. Powers survey when Land Rover is tops? While I admire the legend, everyone I know that has ever owned one has to have a romance with it to live with the thing ..especially if it's new.

Ummm..that chart is problems per 100 vehicles, so the Land Rover is dead last, not tops. Unless you are kidding and I didn't get it..

Last edited:

Not exactly...

crackmeup2.gif

Exactly. Initial Quality, like in the first couple of months? It's meanlingless.

StevieC, I'm glad you are having a good experience with Hyundai cause mine was the exact opposite. Sure, initial quality was good... hence why the test drive sold me on the car. However, my 2001 Elantra was the absolute worse car I have ever owned and I ended up dropping it off a year early (on a 4 year lease) with a fat check just to get rid of it. It ended up taking up so much of my time to deal with, and add the number of times it left me, or my pregnant wife stranded, the almost 4k cheque I had to write was a relief just to never see that car again.

I could go into the issues we had, but it would have to be a separate thread. There are just too many to address in a single post.

Those JD surveys are nonsense. They are based on customer feedback, and who isn't thrilled about their shiny new car in the first couple of months.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy

Not exactly...

Ummm..that chart is problems per 100 vehicles, so the Land Rover is dead last, not tops. Unless you are kidding and I didn't get it..

Ooops. Read it backwards. I thought highest rating for quality would be truly the highest rating on the chart. I guess it would be "tops". Skip read. My bad.

I sold new and used Kias from 4/01 until about 2/02 IIRC. At the time I wouldn't have owned one if you gave it to me. I felt the same way about Hyundai at the time, having sold them used. My buddy thinks Kia/Hyundai are the best cars going. I think they've come a long way, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the word "best". JMO

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
How is this improving quality? This is all about money, not building quality cars.

It's awfully tempting to think like that, I know.

This seems like a really odd way to make money, don't you think? I don't know about you but I find it hard to imagine they have enough clout for this kind of thing to be a safe bet financially.

On the other hand, it's not hard to think of Dexos as something they needed in order to facilitate long drain intervals and good engine designs, and it also seems comparable to what other companies (VW, BMW, Mercedes) have been doing for years.

Remember 90% of all statistics can be made up on the spot ..50% of the time.

A survey that includes 10 minutes after the initial perception can have different results.

"Where do we draw the line this time?"

"Who's paying us the most?"

Good point Gary. A little OT but along the same lines. I remember you mentioning this about tests. If you run them enough times you'll eventually get the results you're looking for. I've used that line many times for several years in my own business. I also add that if you make the test, it's even easier to get the results you want.

When I bought my 01' Elantra they dealer was very determined about getting the initial customer survey back. They even offered me a free oil change if I brought it in before 3 months! Now I know why
grin2.gif

This thread has been a good read,but oil is getting way yonder too complicated there is enough to be debated on brand or sae vis. alone without do i need all these certs. to maintain my car or truck(if you will)properly and as stated many times before the general motoring public will not know or for that matter even care,they just pay there 29.95 and go on with it and for those of us who prefer to diy there are now nearly endless debate factors involved in a choice of our next oc if things keep going their current direction of travel we will be buying oil by vehicle brand not by oil company or vis.

And another one bites the dust due to going WAY off topic! (BTW thanks to the Members who notified us on going far away from the subject matter "Castrol says no to dexos license")

Any comments? PM me.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back