Castrol Magnatec initial impressions.

Here is VOA 6/18 from member researcher. If the new SP GF-6 has the same add pack I would say it's pretty good oil.
Had Mo 60 and Ti 30. Not bad.
That VOA would have been for the older SN+ version. I have used this older version oil with success. It's good stuff, though it was a bit thick for winters in Alaska.

That's not the case with their new SP version; the viscosity, CCS @ -30 deg C is 2000+ points lower. IMHO, this cold-start viscosity is in my "very good" range. :)

Last edited:
I use it in my kids cars. 0W20 in the Sentra and 5W20 in the Sportage. It’s a very quiet oil in both cars and the price is good.

This is going to sound crazy but I recently put the 0W20 Magnatec in my Honda Accord 3.0 V6. Previous fill was RGT 0W20 and was in for 5k miles. Prior to the RGT the car had a diet of Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 EP in the 0W20 viscosity. After 1,000 miles into this oil change, the engine is much quieter..especially when cold. I also have been checking my gas mileage....I've had an increase of about 3mpg on this oil...same driving conditions...now that may be due to gas reformulation back to "summer" grade or something else. The last 2 tanks of gas I've gotten 29 and 27 mpg when usually the car will get 25 or so. I'm amazed...never used Castrol before...only reason I bought it was because it was on sale at Pep Boys when the retail store went out of business. Paid $7.50 for a 5 quart jug. Car currently has 220k on it....still runs really well.
Maybe it's the gas....I usually buy BP 87 octane....go figure.

After reading all these posts I think maybe I should use the Magnatec and see if my car likes it. Good comments.

But doesn't Magnatec have those smart clingy intelligent whatchamadoodles doohickey thingamajiggies?:D

According to Castrol, Edge has all of Magnatec's magic plus more goodies. Ironically though, I've not had Edge run quite as quietly as Magnatec, nor do you see nearly as many comments about quiet for Edge as you do for Magnatec.

I do know that Magnatec was the only oil that made any impact on the clattery start up of our Kia which I had for 100k (with no issues). The quietest ever running oil in it was Edge extended gold bottle though.

For whatever reason Magnatec seems to rack up better looking UOA's in Ford Ecoboost engines than anything else here as well, excellent stay in grade properties and low "wear" numbers.

I wish they made a Euro Magnatec.

According to Castrol, Edge has all of Magnatec's magic plus more goodies. Ironically though, I've not had Edge run quite as quietly as Magnatec, nor do you see nearly as many comments about quiet for Edge as you do for Magnatec.

I do know that Magnatec was the only oil that made any impact on the clattery start up of our Kia which I had for 100k (with no issues). The quietest ever running oil in it was Edge extended gold bottle though.

For whatever reason Magnatec seems to rack up better looking UOA's in Ford Ecoboost engines than anything else here as well, excellent stay in grade properties and low "wear" numbers.

And weird thing is,Edge doesn’t have that odd aroma like Magnatec has,so there’s definitely something different in Magnatec’s add pack.

Looking at UOAs between the two, edge has less “intelligence molecules” but still has some. I suspect it’s due to extra cleaning agents.

And weird thing is,Edge doesn’t have that odd aroma like Magnatec has,so there’s definitely something different in Magnatec’s add pack.
I never noticed a funny smell with Magnatec, but I never really stuck my nose up close to it. I will try this next time I open a bottle...is the smell like maxlife ATF or something else?

It's an almost fruity smell to me, it's been consistent with Magnatec it's been mentioned before. And I don't smell it with Edge either.

I never noticed a funny smell with Magnatec, but I never really stuck my nose up close to it. I will try this next time I open a bottle...is the smell like maxlife ATF or something else?
Just a really strange smell. Reminds me of what the old Synerlec RP smelled like. PPHM imo smells like indoor house paint.

Just a really strange smell. Reminds me of what the old Synerlec RP smelled like. PPHM imo smells like indoor house paint.
So I just stuck my nose in the Magnatec jug and now see (smell) what you mean. Not sure what this odorant is but it is interesting.

Back