Castrol Magnatec initial impressions.

We're heading to Houston this weekend for a Bachata dancing competition. Oil life monitor was at 15% so I changed it a lil while ago. I've always been curious about Castrol Magnatec, so I used Magnatec 5W-30. Anyone ever notice how strange this oil smells? Has that "rubbery" atf smell, exactly like the old Royal Purple Synerlec oil smelled. Wasn't Synerlec some kind've ester? Maybe Magnatec uses that same additive? As to initial running impressions, can't tell any difference from the PPHM and QSUD I normally use. This is an extremely smooth and quiet precision running engine.

On paper the Magnatec 5W-30 is thicker than the PPHM 10W-30.

Keep watch on my sig to see if I like it in the long run or switch back to PPHM.

Castrol MAGNATEC intelligent molecules can cling to your engine. The unique formulations are exclusive to Castrol, and can't be bought from other providers. We carry out extensive testing as part of our product development, and the unique formulations we create are not available to anyone else.

The use of ultra-refined molecules represents an improvement in the purity of the raw materials Castrol chooses to use in making MAGNATEC. The technical benefit remains the same – dramatically reduced engine wear during warm-up. As a technology leader, Castrol strives to maintain its position using the most up to date components and raw materials. In the case of Castrol MAGNATEC we have done this by pioneering the use of ultra-refined molecules.
;)

I just did an OC on my Escape using this in 5w30 a few minutes ago. Haven't even driven the car yet. Will see how it compares to Edge. I don't think I will notice anything. :LOL:

We're heading to Houston this weekend for a Bachata dancing competition. Oil life monitor was at 15% so I changed it a lil while ago. I've always been curious about Castrol Magnatec, so I used Magnatec 5W-30. Anyone ever notice how strange this oil smells? Has that "rubbery" atf smell, exactly like the old Royal Purple Synerlec oil smelled. Wasn't Synerlec some kind've ester? Maybe Magnatec uses that same additive? As to initial running impressions, can't tell any difference from the PPHM and QSUD I normally use. This is an extremely smooth and quiet precision running engine.

Keep watch on my sig to see if I like it in the long run or switch back to PPHM.
I got tired of the Molecular Force Field hovering around my engine all the time.
Seriously, one of these days I will have to try it.

Castrol MAGNATEC intelligent molecules can cling to your engine. The unique formulations are exclusive to Castrol, and can't be bought from other providers. We carry out extensive testing as part of our product development, and the unique formulations we create are not available to anyone else.

The use of ultra-refined molecules represents an improvement in the purity of the raw materials Castrol chooses to use in making MAGNATEC. The technical benefit remains the same – dramatically reduced engine wear during warm-up. As a technology leader, Castrol strives to maintain its position using the most up to date components and raw materials. In the case of Castrol MAGNATEC we have done this by pioneering the use of ultra-refined molecules.
;)
Wow!

Right of of Castrol's marketing website?

This is going to sound crazy but I recently put the 0W20 Magnatec in my Honda Accord 3.0 V6. Previous fill was RGT 0W20 and was in for 5k miles. Prior to the RGT the car had a diet of Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 EP in the 0W20 viscosity. After 1,000 miles into this oil change, the engine is much quieter..especially when cold. I also have been checking my gas mileage....I've had an increase of about 3mpg on this oil...same driving conditions...now that may be due to gas reformulation back to "summer" grade or something else. The last 2 tanks of gas I've gotten 29 and 27 mpg when usually the car will get 25 or so. I'm amazed...never used Castrol before...only reason I bought it was because it was on sale at Pep Boys when the retail store went out of business. Paid $7.50 for a 5 quart jug. Car currently has 220k on it....still runs really well.

According to Castrol's own slick sheets, the new SP formulation has changed dramatically as compared to the older SN+ formulation. The differences stand thus:

Old Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 Snip (24 May 2018 Slick Sheet):

old slick sheet.JPG

New Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 Snip (5 Mar 2021 Slick Sheet):

new slick sheet.JPG

I believe this new formulation is worth a try.

Note they "fixed" my recent gripe here ... its Viscosity, CCS @ -30C.

Its kinematic viscosity @ 100C jumped nicely, and the sulphated ash percentage is reasonable as well.

I wish they would have published the HTHS again. Nevertheless, I'm going to run this again ... for sure.

Best!

Last edited:
This is going to sound crazy but I recently put the 0W20 Magnatec in my Honda Accord 3.0 V6. Previous fill was RGT 0W20 and was in for 5k miles. Prior to the RGT the car had a diet of Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 EP in the 0W20 viscosity. After 1,000 miles into this oil change, the engine is much quieter..especially when cold. I also have been checking my gas mileage....I've had an increase of about 3mpg on this oil...same driving conditions...now that may be due to gas reformulation back to "summer" grade or something else. The last 2 tanks of gas I've gotten 29 and 27 mpg when usually the car will get 25 or so. I'm amazed...never used Castrol before...only reason I bought it was because it was on sale at Pep Boys when the retail store went out of business. Paid $7.50 for a 5 quart jug. Car currently has 220k on it....still runs really well.

No to 3MPG change from oil alone.

Magnetec is my goto oil for the wife's Volvo XC60 with the 3.2L Engine. 158,000 miles and purrs like a kitten! This is the ONLY oil this vehicle has been fed. I'm a believer in this oil.....it used to be blended now it is full synthetic.

;)
Send me a free hat and oil change stickers please. Oh, you don’t work for Castrol after all🤔🤔🤔

Give me EDGE 0w40

If changing to Magnatec can yield 2-3 mpg improvement, every auto manufacturer would be using it as factory fill and recommending it to their customers, so they could have a huge jump towards CAFE ratings.

I had the exact same results. I purposely changed oil brands every 5000 miles for 45,000 miles now, and magnatec was the quietest and best mpg. I'm on NAPA now with RGT next. I'm thinking of going with magnatec or Quaker State full time now that my "experiment" is winding down.

According to Castrol's own slick sheets, the new SP formulation has changed dramatically as compared to the older SN+ formulation. The differences stand thus:

Old Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 Snip (24 May 2018 Slick Sheet):

View attachment 50254

New Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 Snip (5 Mar 2021 Slick Sheet):

View attachment 50255

I believe this new formulation is worth a try.

Note they "fixed" my recent gripe here ... its Viscosity, CCS @ -30C.

Its kinematic viscosity @ 100C jumped nicely, and the sulphated ash percentage is reasonable as well.

I wish they would have published the HTHS again. Nevertheless, I'm going to run this again ... for sure.

Best!
Here is VOA 6/18 from member researcher. If the new SP GF-6 has the same add pack I would say it's pretty good oil.
Had Mo 60 and Ti 30. Not bad.

Let’s backup a little bit. This RC oil has worked well in my DIT engine, so that’s good enough for me...for the price.

No HTHS or Noack published for the SP formulation.

Surprise surprise.

The 2 parameters most people interested in oil want to know.
This new version is an OEM-approved D1G2 product, according to the slick sheet.

Therefore, I assume it meets GM satisfying, minimum and narrow range of HTHS. I assume D1G2 is likely stricter than its API SP donut and ILSAC GF-6A ratings?

I assume it's a 3.1 or 3.2 HTHS, though it's hard to know for sure. The earlier 2018 version was a 3.15 HTHS.

Perhaps Gohkan (sp?) can do his "calcs". Perhaps he can go further and compare the HTHS of various brands of SN/SN+ oils to the same-branded, newer SP versions?

That would be interesting.

Last edited:
Back