castrol, m1, rp, liquid moly, or penzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been on a quest to find some of the best oils out there and find out which is better for my car, i have a 2004 volvo v70 2.5t. I absolutly love this car and want to keep it running as long as possible. I only have 115k miles on her and have been using m1 0w40 euro . But i have heard that castrol and rp may be better along with liquid moly. Any thoughts?

115K on Mobil 1 0W40 Euro. I doubt there "better" oils than what you are using. Does your V spec the weight oil you are running? Pennzoil 0W40 Euro might have more moly.

You can't go wrong with what you are using, also Pennzoil 0W-40 Euro formula is another excellent oil.

You are already using one of the best. There are other great oils out there too, which you mentioned, but switching is not going to gain you a single thing other than the fun of experimenting if you wish to do so.

Use one oil for 200K and make a decision. Oil skippers(can't make their mind up) prove nothing about the real quality(they think UOAs will give them a quick answer) of an oil. For me, I have used M1 oils for 40 years at 10K OCIs and have had great success with all the various engines I have owned.

Last edited:
Ravenol
Originally Posted by Volvoguy69
.....find some of the best oils ......... But i have heard that castrol and rp may be better along with liquid moly. Any thoughts?
Certainly not Royal Purple. ...
Look at what ingredients go into an oil, and the specs they meet, together, and you end up with Ravenol DXG 5w30 for your particular engine's Volvo HTHS recommendations. Ravenol puts all-PAO/ester base oils, with tungsten+moly FM, star polymer VII chemicals, etc., in a premium product. .... blauparts.com or amazon.com
After 100,000 miles, I would put in Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10w30 in the sump May 1, 2019, since its a thicker oil, for summer, and it cleans carbon & gunk off the ringlands. Just once with the Restore oil. ... ryderfleetproducts.com or cummins service centers ... and its expensive due to its high special POE & whatever else is in their patent or is secret. ... You asked for the best.

Nearly the best: Mobil1 Annual Protection 5w30, may be about as good as the Ravenol DXG, it is hard to tell exactly.

Again, form a judgement as to "best" based on:

1. Specs they attain, dexos1 being the top in the ILSAC class your Volvo calls for.

2. Ingredients used: We see base oils used, and PAO+esters are considered tops.

3. Reputation of the company, Ravenol, Mobil, Castrol, all good.

Those three things together, not just one.

Last edited:
So you're suggesting that he pay $10+ per liter for a oil that essentially only carries D1G2 as its sole approval besides SN. What objective evidence is there that this oil is that much "better" than any other D1G2 oil?

Originally Posted by kschachn
So you're suggesting that he pay $10+ per liter for a oil that essentially only carries D1G2 as its sole approval besides SN. What objective evidence is there that this oil is that much "better" than any other D1G2 oil?
+1

Originally Posted by kschachn
You are neglecting the corroboration provided by the base oil composition & company reputation. Like I've said several times, and some just can't get it, you look at ALL the information available, don't just fixate on specs alone. .... That is how one can find the "best". I agree if you're just looking for "Good Enough", then any dexos1 Generation2 oil would do fine. The OP asked about the best.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Einstein

Last edited:
OK well I guess we will just have to disagree on that. I for one am not capable of reading the tea leaves of base oil and company reputation and making a technical leap to how that actually influences the performance of the oil in a specific application. If I were able to do that then I'd be an ongoing advocate for a certain boutique blender that also uses a particular type of base stock and relies on their reputation to market oil.

Maybe I just have a thing for oils that obtain approvals and specifications and market them as such. That's all I have, I am not able to read a PDS or marketing material and substitute that for an approval.

It calls for 5w30 in colder temps, and 5w40, and 10w30 in warmer temps. Being in south texasi run summer oil year round ( 0w40)

This is my first time on this forum and Yall have been very helpful thank you. I will remember to tell my friends about the bitog site

Originally Posted by Linctex
You can't go wrong with what you are using, also Pennzoil 0W-40 Euro formula is another excellent oil.

++++ Either of these …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back