Castrol Import Multi Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would share this with you guys. Took the wife fishing 30 miles offshore this morning. Caught several nice Wahoo which we will be having for dinner shortly. On the way back we docked at a local watering hole and had a couple of beers and some lunch. In pops a friend of mine who is a local charter captain with a couple of his clients for lunch.

Turns out the guys are from New Jersey. We start talking and they tell me they work for Castrol. I ask in what capacity and they tell me they are petro engineers. After a lengthy conversation I tell them I use Mobil 1 in 3 cars, 2 trucks, 2 boats and a motorcycle. They said Mobil 1 is a superb syn oil.

I told them I wanted to change the atf in my Titan and Frontier. They said to use Castrol IMV. They said that BP sent a group of engineers to Japan to meet with all the major Japanese auto makers when this fluid was developed. This was to ensure that this fluid would exceed the JASO-1A spec which is the standard for Japanese auto transmissions. They also said that it is a semi-syn fluid.

I was going to use Maxlife and it has a good following here. However, a few friends of mine have used it in Asian cars and experienced odd shifting behavoir. Also, Maxlife seems to meet every spec on the planet which I find odd. So, next week Castrol IMV goes into both of my trucks. I'll keep you posted on the results.

One more note, these guys from Castrol were outstanding and a joy to converse with. Not once during our 1 hour conversation did they bash or badmouth any of their competitors. Very professional and Castrol is lucky to have people like this in their employ!

Nice to know! Only problem is that the Castrol stuff doesn't meet the Matic S that my truck calls for. I know the tranny doesn't NEED the Matic S, but with the manual calling for it I want to at least use something with that spec on it (Maxlife does list the Matic S spec).

I've used the Castrol stuff in my wife's Honda tranny and it seems to work fine. Also, our local WalMart sells it in 1 gallon jugs (the one down the street only carries Maxlife?????).

I have Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle in my LS400 for more than a year with Lubegard red bottle. The shifting is as smooth as it was new.

I've got CIMV in my 09 Santa Fe. The 1-2 shift flare is gone now and the shifts are much crisper. My big disappointment is I didn't see any improvement in cold performance. The CIMV shifts just as erratically as the oem trans oil until it fully warms up. I am going to try a full syn trans oil next, which one I haven't mind my mind up yet.

It's on sale at AAP this month. Good stuff.

The Valvoline like any other "one size fits all" transmission fluids like Amalie's Wolf brand etc make me wonder too. They meet so many specs it is just a little bothersome to me personally. I know a lot of these fluids are compatible but not all of them can be, some trans. are very picky. Valvoline was having trouble with their CVT fluid in Nissans and AFAIK have stopped production for now anyway.

Sorry, I got off topic. I also know many people who love Valvoline ATF's. No bashing was meant.

I have the same general hesitation with the Castrol IMV ATF that I have with other universal fluids. It "meets" so many different specifications. From their website:

Quote:

Honda, Acura — ATF–Z1 (except in CVTs)
Toyota, Lexus — Type T, T–III, T–IV
Nissan, Infiniti — Matic–D, Matic–J
BMW — LA2634, LT71141
Mitsubishi — Diamond SP–II, SP–III
Hyundai — SP–II, SP–III
Volvo

Also meets requirements of

ATF+3®, ATF+2®, ATF+®
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V (Not for use where MERCON® SP is required).
General Motors DEXRON®–III H and prior (Not for use where DEXRON®–VI is required).
Allison C–4

How does ONE fluid can meet the requirements of: Honda's Z-1, Toyota's T-IV, Hyundai's and Volvo's fluid, AND Chrysler ATF+4, MERCON V, and Dexron III?

Further, Castrol IMV says not for use with Dexron VI, but Valvoline's MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF, which meets all of these same specs, DOES list Dexron VI as a specification it meets. The world of universal ATFs is awfully cloudy to me.

Using Castrol IMV in 3 vehicles!

Wifes '01 Lexus RX-300
My '04 Nissan Altima 2.5
Daughters '06 Mazda 3 2.0 w/4spd auto.

All trannys are shifting as before and there seems to be no Mazda spec on the label or website.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I have the same general hesitation with the Castrol IMV ATF that I have with other universal fluids. It "meets" so many different specifications. From their website:

Quote:

BMW — LA2634, LT71141
Hyundai — SP–II, SP–III
Volvo

ATF+3®, ATF+2®, ATF+®
General Motors DEXRON®–III H and prior (Not for use where DEXRON®–VI is required).
Allison C–4

How does ONE fluid can meet the requirements of: Honda's Z-1, Toyota's T-IV, Hyundai's and Volvo's fluid, AND Chrysler ATF+4, MERCON V, and Dexron III?

Further, Castrol IMV says not for use with Dexron VI, but Valvoline's MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF, which meets all of these same specs, DOES list Dexron VI as a specification it meets. The world of universal ATFs is awfully cloudy to me.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but Castrol is a semi syn ATF and Maxlife is a full syn ATF...

Last edited:
That may make the difference. I think I'm going to contact Castrol and see if the IMV meets the new Honda DW-1 fluid spec. Valvoline says that their MaxLife does, although it's not yet listed on the label. Maybe the IMV does also.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

Quote:

BMW — LA2634, LT71141
Hyundai — SP–II, SP–III
Volvo

ATF+3®, ATF+2®, ATF+®
Allison C–4

Not sure if it makes a difference, but Castrol is a semi syn ATF and Maxlife is a full syn ATF...

Is the Castrol labled as a semi syn?

Interesting that Subaru ATF-HP isn't listed. Our Subaru manual recommends Matic-J if ATF-HP isn't available, and Matic-J is in the list.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I use the Castrol IMV in my RX300, and it work's perfect! Smooth shifts, like always!

IMV worked great in my RX 300 too. But the 330 doesnt seem to like it, so it get`s the Taiota fluid....
grin.gif

I contacted Castrol, and they said their IMV is compatible with Honda's DW-1 as well as the Z-1, for what it's worth.

I'm beginning to wonder what the true difference is between DW-1 and Z-1.

I contacted Castrol, and they said their IMV is compatible with Honda's DW-1 as well as the Z-1, for what it's worth.

I'm beginning to wonder what the true difference is between DW-1 and Z-1.
I just dumped in some of Castrol's IMV in my Civic and its impressive. Shifts a lot better than it was thats for sure. And at under $5 a quart its a good deal.

Castrol IMF is working great in my 2000 Sienna - smoother shifts than maxlife that I was running for the past few drain and fills.

I drained my FF at about 15k miles and filled the AT with Castrol IMV ATF. I had that fluid until 50K mark, I believe I did two partial drains of 3 quarts each. The trans shifted just like new all that time.

My AT is now filled with Petro Canada only because I got it cheaper than Castrol.

This fluid is now in both trucks. Shifts are firm and crisp. The Frontier had a strange lag time when it shifted into overdrive. It is now gone.

I have never been a fan of Castrol oils. Tig and I are the longest users of Mobil 1 oil on this board. I have been using it since it was a 20wt in a silver can. That would be 1979. I do use Mobil syn atf in the power steering in both trucks.

I am sold on this fluid. I bought it online with a AAP coupon code. Cost was around $3.75 a qt. Doug Hillary stated a while back that Castrol made superb trans fluid and gear oils. Well Doug, I strongly agree with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back