Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE

I emailed Valvoline directly today, and they sent me the PDS for this fluid. The tech on the phone yesterday did not have it, but they did email it to me today.

This is a slightly thicker ATF. It lists applications like MERCON/MERCON V, DEXRON II/III, Nissan Matic D and K, Hyundai SP-II/III/IV, Toyota T-III/IV, Honda/Acura Z1 (but not in CVTs), and some others. Viscosity at 40*C is 34.9 cSt, and at 100*C is 7.2 cSt. Viscosity index is 178.

Note, this is not a thin ATF. Therefore, it does not meet requirements of DEXRON VI, Toyota WS, Honda/Acura DW-1, Nissan Matic S, etc.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I bet the two Nissan Matic fluids are the same way: almost all ATFs will meet Matic J, but only certain ones have the right viscosity and shear stability to meet Matic S.

Well, I think your guess is a good one. Any vehicle that called for Matic J is backspeced to use Matic S, but not the reverse. Apparently, Matic S is supposed to be synthetic, where Matic J is semi-synthetic. From what I've read, the Nissan/Infiniti dealerships' new stock is supposed to be Matic S; they're not to be getting Matic J brought in anymore.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
UPDATE

I emailed Valvoline directly today, and they sent me the PDS for this fluid. The tech on the phone yesterday did not have it, but they did email it to me today.

This is a slightly thicker ATF. It lists applications like MERCON/MERCON V, DEXRON II/III, Nissan Matic D and K, Hyundai SP-II/III/IV, Toyota T-III/IV, Honda/Acura Z1 (but not in CVTs), and some others. Viscosity at 40*C is 34.9 cSt, and at 100*C is 7.2 cSt. Viscosity index is 178.

Note, this is not a thin ATF. Therefore, it does not meet requirements of DEXRON VI, Toyota WS, Honda/Acura DW-1, Nissan Matic S, etc.

Does it just list Matic D and K? What about J? D and K are spec'd for the FWD cars. J and S are the RWD trannies.

It actually only lists Matic D and K. If you have a question about Matic J, I would email them directly about it. I, too, found it odd that Matic J wasn't on there.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, I think your guess is a good one. Any vehicle that called for Matic J is backspeced to use Matic S, but not the reverse. Apparently, Matic S is supposed to be synthetic, where Matic J is semi-synthetic. From what I've read, the Nissan/Infiniti dealerships' new stock is supposed to be Matic S; they're not to be getting Matic J brought in anymore.

This Infineum article was linked in another thread. The last page shows a chart with viscosities for "old" and "new" fluids. Indeed, the viscosity of Nissan's ATF fell from about 7.5 cSt @ 100*C (Matic J) to about 5.8 cSt @ 100*C (Matic S). Cold viscosity was reduced as well, from about 72 cSt @ 20*C to about 61 cSt @ 20*C.

I wanted to update this post because I used some of this fluid tonight. Last time I changed the ATF on the CR-V, I found the aluminum washer to be leaking and all I had on hand at the time was an 18mm fiber washer. I used it and it seemed to work. When I serviced our Acura's ATF recently, I used one of these fiber washers on its drain plug and it leaked like a sieve. The fiber washer actually split in two. And I didn't torque it down much at all. So I became paranoid about this washer on the CR-V and bought an aluminum washer today for it...so I wouldn't drain the transmission if the fiber washer decided to give up going down the road. I also thought I'd try a few quarts of the Valvoline IMV ATF. I bought two quarts of it and completed the fill with some of the gallon of Valvoline MaxLife ATF I have on hand.

I will say that the shifting from the transmission is immediately smoother with just two quarts of the IMV fluid. Where the MaxLife produces a very firm shift, the IMV fluid almost mimics the OEM DW-1 fluid in its smoothness. I only have two quarts in it now, but there was a marked increase in shift smoothness. I personally thought the DW-1 was too soft/loose (especially in the Acura), and while I don't mind the shifts on MaxLife, I wouldn't want them any firmer either.

It's apparent to me that Valvoline's IMV product is a more friction-modified fluid than the MaxLife ATF. The MaxLife adheres to Dex III and other fluids that aren't as friction-modified as some of the Asian transmissions (or at least Honda units). While this seems to produce no harm to the Asian transmissions, and indeed may extend their life through better clutch wear, shifting is markedly firmer, at least in my experience.

If you are looking for an OEM-like shift quality, but want easier-to-find fluid, the Valvoline IMV may be a good choice. It's not exactly cheap, at $6.49/qt at Advance Auto (I think AutoZone may have it for $6.29/qt). But it is easier to acquire if you don't have a Honda dealer nearby. And I think it's superior fluid anyway, and will likely hold its properties longer than DW-1 does.

I think my perfect blend might be one quart of this to two quarts of MaxLife on each drain/fill.

My believe is that many older auto tranny likes thick fluid, and Maxlife's thinning makes it difficult for some older tranny to shift smoothly, so they use similar base and additive for a thicker version to compete with Castrol IMV.

I'm very tempted to use this in the KIA. I did 3 drain and fills over the course of 1000 miles this spring. First was with MaxLife. It was good, but the shifting was too soft for my taste. 500 miles later, I went with Eneos SP3, and the shifting firmed up a lot. 500 miles after that, I went with KIA SP3 from the stealer at something like 9.00/qt. I also threw in some Lubegard Red. The transmission shifts perfectly, but the fluid is already starting to darken, which isn't unheard of with SP3, and the rush-hour traffic driving I do.

I think I may have to do a drain and fill of this in the KIA this spring to see how it does. If it works, it will be my new KIA AT fluid of choice. Hopefully it holds up better than the KIA SP3. If not, I'll probably stick to the Eneos fluid. Its a lot cheaper than the stuff from the dealer.

If they offer it in a gallon jug for under $20 I'll throw it in the Aisin in the Fusion next time, otherwise I'm gonna use MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer
I'm very tempted to use this in the KIA. I did 3 drain and fills over the course of 1000 miles this spring. First was with MaxLife. It was good, but the shifting was too soft for my taste. 500 miles later, I went with Eneos SP3, and the shifting firmed up a lot. 500 miles after that, I went with KIA SP3 from the stealer at something like 9.00/qt. I also threw in some Lubegard Red. The transmission shifts perfectly, but the fluid is already starting to darken, which isn't unheard of with SP3, and the rush-hour traffic driving I do.

I think I may have to do a drain and fill of this in the KIA this spring to see how it does. If it works, it will be my new KIA AT fluid of choice. Hopefully it holds up better than the KIA SP3. If not, I'll probably stick to the Eneos fluid. Its a lot cheaper than the stuff from the dealer.

Hokiefyd said the IMV shifts softer than the Maxlife so you may not like it (since you say the Maxlife shifts soft in your Kia). I would think the Eneos would be identical to OEM since it claims to be an SPIII fluid. They have Eneos at my local NAPA for $5.49 a quart and I'm thinking of using it in my Hyundai. I may use Maxlife even though it's thin because the car only has 30K on her. If she had higher mileage I'd probably use Castrol IMV which is slightly thicker.
The castrol is doing great in my b-i-ls 200K Corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back