Castrol GTX Start Up is it a blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Castrol Start-up a blend and if so could I switch back to dino without the worry of seal leaks?
cheers.gif

Yes it is! I think this could be one of Castrol's best oil. They need to come down in price though. Something like $1.75-2 seems ok for that oil. According to Castrol, this oil has something like 25% ester.

My truck always starts on the first cylinder, no matter how long it sits.

With castrol startup, the first cylinder fire is significantly faster than with other oils, both dino and syn, all 5w-30. The engine was cold soaked at ~55 F, and cranked faster than I have ever noticed before for a cold startup. It might as well have been a warm start.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
What puzzles me is why they make a "startup" 10w30. If you want good flow at startup, use 5w30!

They make "Start-up" 10W-40 as well! Start up wear occurs anytime you start the engine.....cold or warm!

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Yes it is! I think this could be one of Castrol's best oil. They need to come down in price though. Something like $1.75-2 seems ok for that oil. According to Castrol, this oil has something like 25% ester.

At 25% ester it probably is worth the going price, but I called and could not get them to tell me how much ester was in it. How did you find out the percentage?

I forget if it was an e-mail from Castrol or their website. I really forget now!

I've been reading these various posts about Castrol Start-Up oil and noticed when I downloaded the MSDS sheets from Castrol's web site that the MSDS sheets for Start-Up and Syntec Blend are virtually identical. The ingredients listed in Section 2 looked to me to be the same...same oil and additive names, same CAS numbers, same exposure limits, and each ingredient has the same percentage of the total.

So, is that really say anything important about the similarity or differences between these two oils or not?
confused.gif

In a warmer climate I'd like to see a shootout between the Start-Up and the GTX High Mileage oil.

Betting the GTX HM will hold it's own . That oil has absolutely tremendous TBN retention
patriot.gif

I've been reading these various posts about Castrol Start-Up oil and noticed when I downloaded the MSDS sheets from Castrol's web site that the MSDS sheets for Start-Up and Syntec Blend are virtually identical. The ingredients listed in Section 2 looked to me to be the same...same oil and additive names, same CAS numbers, same exposure limits, and each ingredient has the same percentage of the total.
the bottle is different

I'd consider using this oil ... if Castrol would be more up-front and honest about its composition.
confused.gif

No, I'm not holding my breath.
wink.gif

We all know that for cold flow-ability, you need to go with a synthetic base oil ... or at least a good blend.

My guess is Castrol has come up with a synthetic blend ... but don't want to call it such because of all of the misinformation "out there" about synthetics causing leaking and the inability to switch, etc ...

Myths + corporate secretiveness = Lots of unanswered questions about this oil.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
My guess is Castrol has come up with a synthetic blend ...

Start Up is nothing more than a domestically blended version of Castrol GTX Magnatec, which has been produced in other parts of the world for years. It's a blend of conventional Group II/III and Group V.

Castrol Australia Magnatec Page

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
What puzzles me is why they make a "startup" 10w30. If you want good flow at startup, use 5w30!

They make "Start-up" 10W-40 as well! Start up wear occurs anytime you start the engine.....cold or warm!

Maybe the thicker 10W "clings" to the metal?

quote:

Originally posted by farfel:
Maybe the thicker 10W "clings" to the metal?

The weight of the oil is irrelevant. It's the polar nature of the ester base oil that makes it "cling" to the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back