Castrol GTX in a GM DI engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to several websites, GTX appears to have a very good NOAK Volatility percentage. I have read on these forums that the GM direct injection engines should be run with an oil that has a good NOAK #. But, I have also read that these engines are hard on oil. Is GTX stout enough to use in these engines with a "normal" OCI... say 4,000 miles?

Depends on if you follow the school of thought that NOAK is the only variable needing addressed. I personally beleive that an oil that can clean as it evaporates and recondenses is the better bet, but cost of acquisition may be a concern. In my thinking this should mitigate the valve deposits from DI and prolong the time period before you need a thorough cleaning of the IM and valves which can run between 120$ for a chemical cleaning to upwards of 600$ for a mechanical cleaning at your dealer. But, if NOAK is the preferred method to control deposits then GTX 10w30 with its low NOAK for 3K OCIS should be as good as anything else. Another option may be Mobil 5000 10w30, which is slightly less expensive and arguably more thermally stable.

ATMNOACKPourPointComboSM.jpg

GM recommends 5W30 while the NOACK number posted here is 10W30. Will it introduce any problem if 10W30 is used while 5W30 is recommended by GM for warranty?

What oil is recommended? My CTS with the 3.6DI requires synthetic Mobil 1 or equivalent.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
No. It's just cold cranking spec. Use 5w-30 or 0w-30 in cold.

Yeah, I use 0w-30 in my GM DI motor.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
What oil is recommended? My CTS with the 3.6DI requires synthetic Mobil 1 or equivalent.

Do you mean oil brand or spec requirement?
Mobil 1 is stamped on the oil cap, but I don't use M1.
My oil spec is GM4718, but it is possibly different for the 2.4L, while the same for the Cadillac's, IIRC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
No. It's just cold cranking spec. Use 5w-30 or 0w-30 in cold.
According to PQIA , Castrol GTX 5W30's NOACK is 13.2. Isn't it too high for a DI engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back