Castrol GTX HM SP

I was wondering how much the SP formula will vary from the SN Plus for Castrol 5w-30?

Looks like the SN Plus was pretty stout at almost 9 TBN and 2200 in Ca + Mg
I suspect the SP is identical to SN plus? However listed approvals are few.

The SN version at PQIA was all calcium based with a lower TBN.

I also wonder what the NOACK would be? I am suspecting must be between 13 and 15 since it is SP and not DEXOS.

I got caught up in the oil buying frenzy last week and now have a a lot of this oil. It is not DEXOS approved but I may use it for application calling for DEXOS. Never used this oil before so was curios with what others experience with this oil is.

It also looks stouter than the SP chevron. Supreme I got last week.

You can find the PDS on Castrol's website. They often have two per viscosity like they show in the case of their Edge 10W-30. They have the SN Plus version from 2019 and the current SP formulation.

You can find the PDS on Castrol's website. They often have two per viscosity like they show in the case of their Edge 10W-30. They have the SN Plus version from 2019 and the current SP formulation.
I must not be looking in the right place as I only see the current PDS?

OP, just to be clear, did you purchase the SN-Plus version or the SP version ?
SP but all I could find was a VOA for SN Plus so was wondering how much of a difference there was since there is also a VOA of SN out there which is radically different then the SN Plus.

OK, I like to follow specifications and approvals when push comes to shove, it’s all you’ve really got. Looking at VOAs is fun, but you don’t know the fundamental chemical form of the additive, so you can’t really judge it’s effectiveness or it’s purpose.

So both are LSPI friendly semi-synthetic 5W30 oils, that’s a good start.

Now going from API SN-Plus & ILSAC GF-5 to API SP & ILSAC GF-6, the new oil must show better deposit control, better wear resistance including passing a new timing chain wear test, and show more resistance to oxidative thickening. That’s win, win and win.

Now maybe the old SN-Plus oils would have passed those newer tests anyway, I don’t know. However the new SP oil definitely does pass the new tests and meet the higher standards, it’s the one to buy. I think SP is a big step forward over SN & SN-Plus.

I totally agree on approvals, certs, etc. being paramount in evaluating oils. However, as previously mentioned I got caught in a buying frenzy and not having used this particular brand was just trying to get an idea of how this oil would perform since they do not have the regular approvals I normally look for.

For most people and most regular applications, going from a good oil to a great oil means you can extend the oil change interval (oci). For non severe service. You regularly hear of people going 10k miles on M1 synthetic.

So if you are worried, then just change the oil a little earlier. I have some API SP 10W30 semi-synthetic that I plan to run 5k to 6k miles.

I totally agree on approvals, certs, etc. being paramount in evaluating oils. However, as previously mentioned I got caught in a buying frenzy and not having used this particular brand was just trying to get an idea of how this oil would perform since they do not have the regular approvals I normally look for.
Perform? What do you expect this oil to do -make your engine sing? It's motor oil. It will do what any other motor oil will do.

Perform? What do you expect this oil to do -make your engine sing? It's motor oil. It will do what any other motor oil will do.
Nitpicking words are we. So based on your pedantic comment all motor oils are the same and approvals mean nothing.
Hey I might as we'll use the can of 1970 Valvoline I have laying around in my track car as it is motor oil and according to you "it will do what any other motor oil will do."

C'mon man, be reasonable. You are purposely twisting what I said. Any reasonable person would correctly assume any motor oil made in recent years which would include SL, SM, SN, and SP.... You are purposely being ridiculous in your response.
Nitpicking words are we. So based on your pedantic comment all motor oils are the same and approvals mean nothing.
Hey I might as we'll use the can of 1970 Valvoline I have laying around in my track car as it is motor oil and according to you "it will do what any other motor oil will.

Hey I might as we'll use the can of 1970 Valvoline I have laying around in my track car as it is motor oil and according to you "it will do what any other motor oil will do."
No.. I think he meant more like "if it meets the spec for your vehicle, go ahead and use it. Chances are, it'll perform like any other oil that meets the specs and you won't be able to tell the difference, shy of lab analysis.

Does Castrol still tout emission system friendliness in their GTX HM ?
Low amount, or desired form of phosphorus, or whatever ?

Yup, they still do.

"WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CASTROL GTX HIGH MILEAGE?

• Phosphorus Replacement Technology to help extend the life of the emission system
  • Superior dispersancy that fights sludge build up
  • Exceptional oil burn-off protection exceeding industry standards*
  • Seal conditioners to help reduce leaks
  • Advanced additives that minimize engine wear
  • Improved fuel economy**

* Based on API and ACEA volatility specifications

** In 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades versus industry specifications"

Last edited:
Back