Castrol GTX 10W30, 5,268 miles, 1999 Accord 2.3L 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Honda Accord 4cyl 2.3L EX Auto
Oil: Castrol GTX 10W30
Filter: Purolator PureOne PL14459

Oil Analyzers was the lab used.

This sample had about 3 months of time on the oil, 5,268 miles. 1/2 quart of makeup oil was added over the 5,268 miles. I'm looking to go to 10,000 mile OCI with this oil/filter combo. What do you guys think?

Aluminum: 2
Chromium: 0
Iron: 3
Copper: 1
Lead: 24
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 3
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 1
Silicon: 10
Sodium: 79
Calcium: 2112
Magnesium: 11
Phosphorus: 612
Zinc: 715
Barium: 0
Cadmium: 0
Vanadium: 0
Antimony: 0
Lithium: 0

Properties:

cST Viscosity @ 100 C: 11.5
Fuel %: Water %: Soot %: TBN: 4.32
Oxidation: 9
Nitration: 15

COMMENTS:
Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval.

Something is wrong here....your lead is VERY high, and your viscosity is higher than it should be (virgin visc. is 10.6cst.), BUT the oil doesn't appear to be stressed - no excessively high silicon, and no evidence of coolant contamination...

IF the lead is simply wear, then it points to the oil being too thin to protect the bearings - it would seem something like a 10W-40 is warranted. But seeing as how Honda's usually prefer thinner oils, with older models doing well on 5W-20, that doesn't seem right.

I'll have to defer to more seasoned 'analysts'...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Pb is high.

Use any fuel additives?

Engine has 96,000 miles on it, no fuel additives have ever been used that I know of.

I did run some seafoam through the entire car 6 months ago in the crank case for 200 miles, 1/2 tank of gas, and some through a vacuum line. However, there have been 3-4 oil changes since then.

I'm going to call OAI to ask about it. No flash point was given on the report.

The lead is striking. Everything else looks great. I'd be tempted to get Terry in on this one.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Something is wrong here....your lead is VERY high, and your viscosity is higher than it should be (virgin visc. is 10.6cst.), BUT the oil doesn't appear to be stressed - no excessively high silicon, and no evidence of coolant contamination...

IF the lead is simply wear, then it points to the oil being too thin to protect the bearings - it would seem something like a 10W-40 is warranted. But seeing as how Honda's usually prefer thinner oils, with older models doing well on 5W-20, that doesn't seem right.

OK, checked with OAI. They tell me that Pb content averages are based on 70 samples of Honda vehicles and that 32 ppm is their flagging point. 32 is considered normal, but is the point at which they suggest keeping an eye on it. He said 24 was actually good for this particular car .

The cSt at 11.5 shows it as a 30 wt oil, which it was. I've sent samples from a V6 Honda Accord as well as a 2001 V6 4Runner in for analysis as well with this same Castrol GTX 10W30 oil. I expect those two analysis back in a day or two and can compare it's cSt at 100C to this one to see how they stack up. The other two samples were 6mos old but only 2500 or so miles on each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
The lead is striking. Everything else looks great. I'd be tempted to get Terry in on this one.

Whos' Terry? How do I have him take a look?

Originally Posted By: Speedy1975
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Whos' Terry? How do I have him take a look?

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

The only thing Terry is going too tell you is that your lead is high we all know that. Give Valvoline Maxlife a try and see if that helps lower the lead .

Originally Posted By: Speedy1975

OK, checked with OAI. They tell me that Pb content averages are based on 70 samples of Honda vehicles and that 32 ppm is their flagging point. 32 is considered normal, but is the point at which they suggest keeping an eye on it. He said 24 was actually good for this particular car .

The cSt at 11.5 shows it as a 30 wt oil, which it was. I've sent samples from a V6 Honda Accord as well as a 2001 V6 4Runner in for analysis as well with this same Castrol GTX 10W30 oil. I expect those two analysis back in a day or two and can compare it's cSt at 100C to this one to see how they stack up. The other two samples were 6mos old but only 2500 or so miles on each.

The amount of lead isn't actually the issue - it's the relation of lead to other wear metals, mainly iron. If you Iron is low and your lead very high, it would seem to point to the oil being 'too thin' to protect the bearings.

As for the viscosity, yes, 11.5 cst is still within the range of a 30 weight oil. But dino 5W/10W-30's shear down in service, so it SHOULD be closer to the bottom end of the 30 weight range. The only time an oil thickens up is much, much later in an interval, when the oil starts to oxidize from contaminents, heat stress, etc...if I had to guess, I'd say this was a 10W-40 that sheared down to 11.5 cst in 5.2k miles BEFORE I'd say it was a 10w-30 that oxidized back up to 11.5cst.......

The amount of lead isn't actually the issue - it's the relation of lead to other wear metals, mainly iron. If you Iron is low and your lead very high, it would seem to point to the oil being 'too thin' to protect the bearings.

As for the viscosity, yes, 11.5 cst is still within the range of a 30 weight oil. But dino 5W/10W-30's shear down in service, so it SHOULD be closer to the bottom end of the 30 weight range. The only time an oil thickens up is much, much later in an interval, when the oil starts to oxidize from contaminents, heat stress, etc...if I had to guess, I'd say this was a 10W-40 that sheared down to 11.5 cst in 5.2k miles BEFORE I'd say it was a 10w-30 that oxidized back up to 11.5cst.......

I wondered if it could have been 10W40 in the container by mistake, but I know for a fact the container was labeled 10W30. I'll see how the samples from the 4Runner and the V6 Accord come back. If they're also in the 11.x range, then I'll say that this Castrol GTX 10W30 is not shearing much.

I expect those two back any day now.

Originally Posted By: jarvk22
The only thing Terry is going too tell you is that your lead is high we all know that. Give Valvoline Maxlife a try and see if that helps lower the lead .

Are you familiar with Terry's services at all?

The plot thickens:

I received the report from the 2001 Accord V6 yesterday. The goofs at OAI combined it with the report from the 2.3L and questioned why the mileage was off. DUH it's a different vehicle!!!!

Based on that screw up, I've began questioning the report in this thread in regards to the Pb wear metal and cSt at 100C. They are going to re-run the viscosity and wear metal tests to confirm original results. The V6 Accord looked as you guys expected with Pb at 6 and cSt 100C at 10.4.

I'll post the V6 Accord analysis up in a separate thread.

I may need to find a new lab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which OAI lab are you working with?

nevermind
06.gif

(I'm still on drugs...)
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Which OAI lab are you working with?

nevermind