Castrol Edge vs Valvoline EP.

Back in the 80s, I've used Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Exxon supoflo & Havoline but never a Castrol oil until I got a Jag. Next time for an OCI, I will use Valvoline on it for 5K OCI :D

I’ve got Magnatec in it now,got about 150 miles or so till oil change time (olm is at 5%). So far it’s been the best running of the bunch (Magnatec,QSUD,PPHM). I’m guessing Edge should have “the edge” over Magnatec:D Haha couldn’t resist;)
I was thinking the same thing, an I did that similar swap. The Edge was terrible. Worst stuff ever. Look at my post on a UOA I am sending out. I should have the UOA soon. Def a D.I. issue, but the oil didnt cut it regardless.

Got QSFS in there now. 10W30. Highly recommended for 20 and 30 grade applications.
A Real Synthetic with ASTM D97 pour point of - 54 deg C and KV40 of 67cSt/
Even better than the Valvoline Advanced I was running which was very good indeed.

Between Valvoline Advanced and Edge I would run not walk as fast as you can from that black bottle.

- kas

I was thinking the same thing, an I did that similar swap. The Edge was terrible. Worst stuff ever. Look at my post on a UOA I am sending out. I should have the UOA soon. Def a D.I. issue, but the oil didnt cut it regardless.

Got QSFS in there now. 10W30. Highly recommended for 20 and 30 grade applications.
A Real Synthetic with ASTM D97 pour point of - 54 deg C and KV40 of 67cSt/
Even better than the Valvoline Advanced I was running which was very good indeed.

Between Valvoline Advanced and Edge I would run not walk as fast as you can from that black bottle.

- kas
What characteristics about the Edge did you not like? Which car was it in?

What characteristics about the Edge did you not like? Which car was it in?
It had good cold start and low drag during 5 min of warmup driving. Other than that NOTING to recommend it.
It was loud, rackety harsh, poor fuel mileage - just horrendous. Ford Ecosport 2 liter Mazda/Ford engine

If you didnt see this - here is 3 drops of used Edge on a kleenex at 2000 miles. Previous OC with Advanced was only run 2K also.

20220321_133209.jpg

It had good cold start and low drag during 5 min of warmup driving. Other than that NOTING to recommend it.
It was loud, rackety harsh, poor fuel mileage - just horrendous. Ford Ecosport 2 liter Mazda/Ford engine

If you didnt see this - here is 3 drops of used Edge on a kleenex at 2000 miles. Previous OC with Advanced was only run 2K also.

View attachment 95053
I had a similar experience with Castrol Edge Black Bottle 0w20 in a 2021 Honda Civic. At 1,000 miles it looked like that.

Nearing 3000 miles, the current Magnatec is still dark clear amber, with a reddish tint. Olm is at 5%.

Between black bottle Castrol and VEP Id pick the Valvoline.

Truth be told though…I’m pretty sure no motor is going to be able to tell the difference with reasonable oil changes.
Agree. It's wholly personal preference, IMHO.

And there's nothing wrong with expressing that preference and how it was derived (or not). This forum survives on that! :)

Nearing 3000 miles, the current Magnatec is still dark clear amber, with a reddish tint. Olm is at 5%.
Not sure how you've liked the Magnatec in your vehicle, but why not continue with this oil under its new moniker: Castrol GTX Full Synthetic?

Personally, I've found this oil to be very good in my current GM vehicles. Ran it for several OCI's about 1 to 2 years ago... liked it. It had the certs.

Otherwise, I like what I'm hearing and reading about Valvoline EP. On its face, it appears to be very good for a nominal or slightly extended OCI.

Not sure how you've liked the Magnatec in your vehicle, but why not continue with this oil under its new moniker: Castrol GTX Full Synthetic?

Personally, I've found this oil to be very good in my current GM vehicles. Ran it for several OCI's about 1 to 2 years ago... liked it. It had the certs.

Otherwise, I like what I'm hearing and reading about Valvoline EP. On its face, it appears to be very good for a nominal or slightly extended OCI.
I was actually thinking that same thing. Edge and the GTX Synth are the same price at my nearest WM. I think the Valvoline EP is as well. I have a half quart of Magnatec leftover in my "stash" and I'll use that up along with Edge if that's what I end up with.

Just my opinion... I'd take Valvoline EP over Castrol Edge black bottle.

Now... If this was heads up between Valvoline EP and Castrol EP gold bottle... Flip a coin.

I have a 2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5L Turbo which requires 0w20 oil. The first oil change I had done when I first purchased the car was Castrol Edge with Fluid Titanium Tech with a M1 M1-113-A filter. It performed okay with oil change at about 3,500mi. The second and most current was Castrol Edge EP (Gold Bottle) with M1-113-A filter and I’m currently around 4,100 miles. The oil is darker than I’ve noticed before and the engine is a little bit noisy lately, however the oil level is still full with no burn off. The vehicle has about 36k miles on it. I went to WM last night and purchased a 5qt Jug of Valvoline Full Synthetic Extended Protection and to Menards to purchase a Purolator Boss (15k mi) oil filter. I’ll report back once changed. Probably won’t be going back to Castrol. Also not a big fan of non-synthetic filter medias. To me and in my own opinion, it seems like oil would filter faster through the synthetic media vs cellulose(and blended) and have a better filtration rate. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m still learning and trying to keep from voiding my GM Powertrain Warranty.

Last edited:
Back