Castrol Edge vs Valvoline EP.

Tip off " I've noticed the engine is a little bit noisy lately...." Oil may be thinning with fuel. Good old school oci.

Tip off " I've noticed the engine is a little bit noisy lately...." Oil may be thinning with fuel. Good old school oci.
Great point. Personally, I would never run such a small displacement turbo-charged engine, especially a GM DI engine, past 3000 or 3500 miles.

Heck, I won't dip into the 40 percentile on my current small GM SUV's OLM with a non-turbo 4-cylinder -- it's engine oil is thoroughly contaminated with soot by that time.

Reactions: FZ1
often i hear about hydrolifters being stuck, noisy etc. people pick others and problem disappears.
"inteligent molecules" are commonly a joke target..
i never bought one (why risk it), so i can´t confirm or deny.

Castrol Edge now $33 per jug at WM ... Way overpriced as compared to M1 , Pennzoil or Valvoline synthetics .

Don’t worry, the rest are catching up. Valvoline is now $29 here for a jug of VAS.

often i hear about hydrolifters being stuck, noisy etc. people pick others and problem disappears.
"inteligent molecules" are commonly a joke target..
i never bought one (why risk it), so i can´t confirm or deny.

🎣

Small hoard of Edge, purchased when it was 2.00 qt.
Last change at 6400 in a 2011 Avalon. Worked just fine, as did Supertech, QS, Maxlife, blah blah.

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5L, 0W20
I bought the vehicle with approximately 28k miles. First Oil Change was Castrol Titanium (Black Bottle) and M1 Filter. Vehicle ran beautifully. No startup noice, no performance issues and no oil burning. Second Oil Change was Castrol Edge EP (Gold Bottle) and M1 Filter. Same performance, no burning. Most recent change was Valvoline EP with Purolator Boss. I've noticed more engine noise when starting vehicle. Not a huge difference in performance, but doesn't seem to run as smooth as Castrol EP. Might be the oil filter, might be my vehicle prefers one over the other, might be the oil. I may try Royal Purple, or go back to Castrol EP and Fram Ultra filter. Of course, I'm always open to recommendations. I'm barely at 39,500 miles as of the time of this post.

Back