castrol edge first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im currently using Edge picked it up on the huge rebate, "valve train noise" does seem quieter too in my Ranger. But I really think its all in my head, gotta admit if you belong to this forum you kind of have an unhealthy obsession for motor oil!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattd
And just a side note, this stuff pours like water when i was filling the car.

Any 0W-20 or 5W-20 seems like it would........

......... particularly the thinnest 0W-20.
smile.gif
(I wonder if it "Splashed" like water too? Its not supposed to, IIRC.)

Now, be sure to put this super-thin Castrol Edge 0W-20 in ALL vehicles, particularly those that formerly saw use of 15W-40 or 15W-50, since "Thin is in," year-round.
thumbsup2.gif

lol.gif

Quote:
If it was an oil pressure issue, and insufficient oil pressure was reaching my valve train, shouldnt the oil pressure light be on?

It would have to be so low the engine was in danger oif imminent failure. Like "10psi under load or at RPMs" or some other such amazingly low number, that something, somewhere, was VERY wrong (Oil Pump died for some reason most likely.) The "Oil Pan Light" should NEVER come on, so it was likely low but now SO LOW it was going to make the pistons turn into the head/block, or something like that... due to "No Oil." They may have discolored a bit, though. .. naaah, that needs heat, and overheat when you "keep driving it" .. even then, they stay fine, most the time.
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
Is it possible its too thin for this engine?

YES IT IS! (Possible.) Particularly if EDGE 5W-30 or EDGE 10W-30 DOESNT EVER make this NOISE!

This Oil WILL kill some engines.

One engine's "5W-20 made it quieter and run great and it throttles up easier and i get better MPG thanks BITOG i now use 5W-20!" is another engine's "I put 5W-20 in my old car instead of the 15W-40 i usually do or 15W-50 for summer and 1000 miles later it has rod knock and is so loud and yup now its dead. Shoulda stuck with what worked."

Quote:
Or am i just nuts?

You could be nuts, and experiencing these symptoms simultaneously, related to the CAR and oil,m not being nuts. Perfectly normal. And i speak from, experience. Dont let people make you feel bad about being nuts.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
great post. other than that one time, it has not made that noise. i just wont rag on it when cold. i plan on doing a uoa around 6-7k miles to see where i'm at. not sure if i should drain it out for something thicker in the meantime...

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
The show stopper for me regarding Edge is that the company is now part of BP.
BP has always owned Edge the company invented it.

HH- 0W20 Edge is not going to kill an engine that was spec'd for a 20 grade oil. Those who want to use a 20 grade oil in an engine spec'd for a 30 grade, 40 grade, or 50 grade oil should read Dr. Haas's writings about it, and any other info they can find on the subject. He made the change to a 20 grade oil from "thicker oil" based on actual oil pressure gauge readings UOA reports and testing. It is working very well for him. It is not something someone should blindly dive into because it worked for someone else. IMO the best thing to do is stick with the mfg recommended grade of oil, or follow the above suggestions.

Todays 20 grade oils are quite good, it has been discussed countless times here on Bitog. In an old sloppy engine in need of work or just tired, a thicker oil might be a better choice.

Edge is $10.00/QT in my area. So unless its literally magical i don't see a point from straying from what i would normally use. Maybe if its on sale?

Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
its in your MIND!!
lol.gif

X2, amazing how switching oil people think they found the holy grail of oil
crackmeup2.gif

I have tried Edge, and use it as my standard oil of choice now, even though I have M1 in the sump now only due to the advanced auto deal.. BUT I was one of the very first to report how much less noise on startup my 02 accord has with Edge.. You can search back my post in what I think about startup noise and how much faith I have in it, however when you combine this "magic" oil advertising 8x less wear than M1 with so many post about reduced engine noise etc.. I think Edge has brought something to the plate so to speak that other oil manufactures either are or will need to contend with.

As for the price, magic all that other stuff you should compare the tier group of oils, Edge is in the top tier group, as is PU, M EP etc, and your not going to get this group of oils for conventional prices... so the price gouges are really baseless, and as you see I could car less about a little startup noise, and other loyal M1 users also concur about the reduced mechanical engine noise using Edge...

Results, Castrol has made a great product in edge, and if it were anything but a castrol product the mods would be combining the many post into one thread because of this new great oil.. yet people think Castrol (as said in this very thread here) is bad bad bad.. and it's not from the oil spill either it's peer pressure from this forum.. a few members could say accel is the best oil in the world, and before you know it the entire forum would be accel oil die hard lovers.. if M1 made accel it would already be that way.. and the reason i say this is because M1 users are very very loyal and they have reason to be EM was/is etc has been on the cutting edge of technology for years, and introduced the type of long OCI type oils we use today to teh general public first.. But Castrol Edge should not be degraded if you have never used it, and not because Castrol makes it

hmm, Syntec to Edge the first few 100 miles I noticed a bit louder valve train noise in two cars. It seems to have gone to normal. But this could be just from getting used to it.

Just loaded in EDGE 10w30 in my 06 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution today. No comments other than it pours very quickly. Hope its a robust product. Purchased at Kragen /$8.95

BTW, My first post
grin.gif

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back