Castrol EDGE EP 20K Synthetic Oil Users ?

For those using Castrol EDGE EP 20K Synthetic Oil (Gold Jug) - what are the things you like the most with using this oil ?

I'd like to try it in my F-150, but I never see enough information on the 5w30 flavor to get me away from the Valvoline Extended protection.

*The Valvoline EP stands for Extra Protection - but it is still a normal drain (shorter OCI ) oil . The Castrol EGE EP is a long drain oil .

Edge cut the piston slap noise I was getting on cold mornings down to half ,of what it was with pp. I'm sticking with Edge.
My buddy put it in his Ram 5.7 , it made a noticeable difference in his cold lifter tap.

*The Valvoline EP stands for Extra Protection - but it is still a normal drain (shorter OCI ) oil . The Castrol EGE EP is a long drain oil .
Actually, it is called Extended Protection just as I said:

Been tempted to buy it. Just from what I’ve seen on YouTube it might not “flow” as quickly as others in its segment, but might protect a little better? As with every oil comparison I’m not talking about anything major here. From what I remember seeing, it’s loaded up with moly and it’s total base number is high. Some speculation was tossed around that the base stocks don’t have much/any PAO and therefore the additive package is boosted to compensate.

The price is right for a 20,000 mile oil. I think it’s $24 at Walmart right now.

Been tempted to buy it. Just from what I’ve seen on YouTube it might not “flow” as quickly as others in its segment, but might protect a little better? As with every oil comparison I’m not talking about anything major here. From what I remember seeing, it’s loaded up with moly and it’s total base number is high. Some speculation was tossed around that the base stocks don’t have much/any PAO and therefore the additive package is boosted to compensate.

The price is right for a 20,000 mile oil. I think it’s $24 at Walmart right now.
Those cold flow tests are done at extremely cold temps. How many people wake up with those temps in the mornings? For most, the oil is fine and flow isn't an issue.

Those cold flow tests are done at extremely cold temps. How many people wake up with those temps in the mornings? For most, the oil is fine and flow isn't an issue.
Oh I agree, but it is entertaining. The Castrol Edge Extended Performance didn't flow at all in one of the cold flow test comparisons I watched (against Amsoil). The guy actually put a stick in it and the stick held straight up. Lol. But yeah it doesn't really mean anything to me, I never start my car in -50 degree weather.

Loaded up with moly? High total base number?

Loaded up with moly? High total base number?

My bad, I guess it's the Valvoline EP that's loaded up with moly. Although I have seen the TBN higher than 6.6 with the Castrol EP...more in the 7.6 range I believe.

VI improvers have a minimum size it will contract. Target is at 40 C. ( the xW rating) With cold flow tests there is comparisons between oils. And the manufactured oil did not design the oil to pass this test. So… What oil won? Just curious.

Is that the test where someone puts the jug in their freezer and later on pours it out and times the pour on a stopwatch?

Considering trying the Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 on my next change, have been using Mobil1 0W-20 EP in my 2020 Honda CRV, UOA's at around 4k are showing 3.5% dilution and a corresponding thinning below grade. This is obviously something I'm going to have to deal with as these 1.5t engines, at least mine have shown themselves as diluters regardless of the "fixes" that Honda has done. The MM has shown 50% at 4k, so running a 0W-20 that's thinned below grade another 2-3k obviously isn't a good plan for longevity. As I have a Hondacare 7-year 120k extended warranty I'm planning on staying with the Honda reccomended 0W-20, well aware that the MM is an algorithm, but obviously, considering the UOA's, is sadly optimistic. Have pretty much come to the conclusion I'm going to be doing changes at 3500/4k, hoping the Castrol might at least stay in grade until 4k, possibly worth a try.

Considering trying the Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 on my next change, have been using Mobil1 0W-20 EP in my 2020 Honda CRV, UOA's at around 4k are showing 3.5% dilution and a corresponding thinning below grade. This is obviously something I'm going to have to deal with as these 1.5t engines, at least mine have shown themselves as diluters regardless of the "fixes" that Honda has done. The MM has shown 50% at 4k, so running a 0W-20 that's thinned below grade another 2-3k obviously isn't a good plan for longevity. As I have a Hondacare 7-year 120k extended warranty I'm planning on staying with the Honda reccomended 0W-20, well aware that the MM is an algorithm, but obviously, considering the UOA's, is sadly optimistic. Have pretty much come to the conclusion I'm going to be doing changes at 3500/4k, hoping the Castrol might at least stay in grade until 4k, possibly worth a try.

i think mobil 1 has better noack than castrol edge (don't quote me in it).

maintain a 2020 CRv too. I'm resigned to changing the oil every 4,000 miles even though the car gets 20+ miles of wide open highway throttle every day. likely will switch to 30/40 weight oil when the powertrain warranty expires.

Back