Castrol EDGE does it all...

A lot of marketing yes but it does confirm Edge has the esters or whatever it is in Magnatec. Most Edge offerings are Grp III entirely (like Magnatec) but 0w40 does have some PAO as well.

Magnatec is in my mind the best oil going in an entry level offering from a major.

UltraClean has a healthy slug of calcium in it, more than any other entry level oil I'm aware of.

Both Castrol EDGE and GTX MAGNATEC formulations contain the intelligent molecule that protect the engine from start-up [\quote]
One molecule, a few, some special ones, but what about the rest of the molecules?

The oil "protects engine from start-up." ? Then how does the engine start?

I'm, for one, overtime trying to find the "finest" for my application.
If you step back and look at this quest of yours, isn't it a futile effort ? When do you stop searching/testing ? When you do, maybe the next oil would be better.... At some point, you'll decide something is "good enough". You have to.
If I remember correctly Magnatec had more titanium than Edge.
Honest question - is more Titanium better ? With two identical engines, one using Magnatec and the other using something else, what difference(s) will there be ?

If you step back and look at this quest of yours, isn't it a futile effort ? When do you stop searching/testing ? When you do, maybe the next oil would be better.... At some point, you'll decide something is "good enough". You have to.

Honest question - is more Titanium better ? With two identical engines, one using Magnatec and the other using something else, what difference(s) will there be ?

It is futile in the sense that oils are being reformulated to meet new certifications and specs. It’s a moving target.

Titanium? In what form?

Makes me wonder how much better edge really is. I think I'll be buying magnatec 5w30 A3B4 in bulk next time it sells for $19 per 5L here. There's no way edge 5w30 A3B4 is $16 better. That's the way they make their best profits. One product is slightly better, gets all the marketing hype and is for all intents and purposes, their best but by how much in reality?

Reminds me of how a hearing aid company I worked for years ago had the same circuitry for their entire range and only required software unlocking to unlock the rest of the features and sound channels. But customers didn't know the insides of the $1000 aid were the same as the $5000 aid.

Makes me wonder how much better edge really is. I think I'll be buying magnatec 5w30 A3B4 in bulk next time it sells for $19 per 5L here. There's no way edge 5w30 A3B4 is $16 better.
where the heck is this dystopian place where edge 5w30 euro is $35 per 5L? must be an autozone or something

I purchased some GTX Magnatec 10W30 a while ago and it's Noack is 6.9
Not sure if Edge or anyone else can beat that price wise!

[Ar] 3d2 4s2

Or in longhand if you prefer: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d2 4s2
The labs have shown that it's iron titanate that creates a "lube" boundary layer, so I am scratching my head how Titanium is of any great benefit in engines that are mostly aluminum, or mostly not iron.

The labs have shown that it's iron titanate that creates a "lube" boundary layer, so I am scratching my head how Titanium is of any great benefit in engines that are mostly aluminum, or mostly not iron.

Here's a study (unfortunately it's not an engine study, just a COF one) that demonstrates the effectiveness of titanium oxide nanoparticles on reducing COF in an bench test using aluminum:

You may find it useful.

where the heck is this dystopian place where edge 5w30 euro is $35 per 5L? must be an autozone or something

I'm in Australia and it's generally $50 standard price but very frequently $35 on sale.

Attachments

• edge 5w30.png
    edge 5w30.png
    448.9 KB · Views: 78
Back