Castrol EDGE does it all...

I seem to recall not too long ago a question mentioned about EDGE; does it have all of the same "good stuff" in it that GTX Ultraclean and Magnatec have. I don't remember seeing an answer though. If this was already resolved and I have duplicated someone else's work, forgive me.
I sent an e-mail to Castrol, here was my question:

Does EDGE have the same benefits of GTX Ultraclean (sludge clean up) and Magnatec (cling)?

Here is the response from them:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE is as good and even better at fighting sludge and deposit build up. It contains the same sludge buster technology as Castrol GTX ULTRACLEAN and is even more effective at resisting the effects of high temperature and the strains and pressures delivered by the engine.

By being a synthetic oil, along with the sludge and deposit performance, Castrol EDGE provides superior levels of oil burn off protection, meets tougher European standards for protection and includes our patented liquid titanium additive to help reduce wear, increase film strength and reduce friction. The titanium additive has also been demonstrated to improve anti-sludge performance.

Sludge protection is called out as a distinguishing feature for Castrol GTX ULTRACLEAN. However, it certainly translates to Castrol EDGE with even more protection in many areas.

Both Castrol EDGE and GTX MAGNATEC formulations contain the intelligent molecule that protect the engine from start-up in the ILSAC / API SN PLUS grades. Castrol EDGE adds Titanium, our patented titanium molecule technology that has demonstrated anti-wear and friction reduction performance, to the mix so both products are great for stop and go engine operations.

Castrol EDGE is our premium product line.

Castrol Consumer Relations

That's good info from Castrol. They sometimes seem to be less than forthcoming with information. Thanks for sharing.

Still unclear to me how much more superior is Edge to Magnatec. The last VOA of Magnatec I’ve seen, it had all titanium and moly and intelligent molecules (joking, it wasn’t on the VOA)

Makes me wonder what the point is having the Magnatec line? I too have seen Magnatec uoa’s that look impeccable. Both are grp 3 oils I’m guessing too?

Lots of marketing talk but Castrol is good. In fact, any API certified full synthetic changed every 5 - 7k miles with a good filter will do the job just fine.

Lots of marketing talk but Castrol is good. In fact, any API certified full synthetic changed every 5 - 7k miles with a good filter will do the job just fine.

Indeed, but "just fine" definition is different from one owner to the other, there's an oil that is doing its job and there is an oil that performs better, and maybe even cheaper or more readily available.
I'm, for one, overtime trying to find the "finest" for my application.

If I remember correctly Magnatec had more titanium than Edge.

That's what I've noticed in a few VOA's posted here at BOITOG.

Magnatec:Titanium - 30 ppm
Edge: Titanium - 10 ppm

Much higher dose of boron in Magnatec too. There are a few other differences between them in terms of calcium, magnesium, cST and TBN

Sludge buster technology. I wonder if there's like these rival gangs inside a Castrol oil molecule fighting it out like West Side Story. So a sludge buster molecule walks through intelligent molecule "turf" and a knife fight breaks out...

Or the intelligent molecules try telling the sludge buster molecules how to behave and act... And the sludge buster molecules secede to just do their job without micro management from the intelligent molecules... :LOL:

Both Castrol EDGE and GTX MAGNATEC formulations contain the intelligent molecule
Quaker State is the formerly intelligent oil:

Indeed, but "just fine" definition is different from one owner to the other, there's an oil that is doing its job and there is an oil that performs better, and maybe even cheaper or more readily available.
I'm, for one, overtime trying to find the "finest" for my application.
"Finest" definition is different from one owner to the other. Does 1 ppm more phosphorus make a difference. Or maybe 2 ppm more calcium over 150,000 miles? Or 3 ppm Moly. Thousands of Blackstone lab reports have determined that using an API certified full synthetic right off Wally's shelf and filter changed at good OCI is all your vehicle needs. And if there were severe oil related problems changing oil and filters at good OCI BITOG would be littered with such testimonies. If experimenting with different oils to find the "finest" keeps your powder dry, great. I'm in no position to tell anyone how to live or what to do. I'm not sure how you're going to accomplish it without buying several vehicles, applying the same principles, exposing them to the exact same conditions over the exact same mileage, doing a complete teardown and measure wear down to the 0.00001 mil on each vehicle to determine the oils efficacy. But I'm pretty confident that when I need a valve cover gasket at 150,000 miles the cams will probably look and measure fairly close to when my vehicle rolled off the assembly line after using PP and OEM or WIX filters changed at 5 - 7k mile OCI.

Have a great day.

Back