Castrol Edge 5W40 VOA

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Probably a few here but my point of doing this one is it's as close as I can get to the dealer bulk Castrol 5W40 VW uses (should be the same?) and I use this in my Atlas as the dealer has done the oil changes thus far and it's good to have a baseline.

CASTROL EDGE 5W40-201012[12298]-page-001.jpg

12.66 is on the thin side for a 40wt oil
Be a 30wt oil about 1/2 way through an oil change most likely

12.66 is on the thin side for a 40wt oil
Be a 30wt oil about 1/2 way through an oil change most likely

From what I've seen on BITOG, all the Euro 5w40s are usually close to, or right on the border, with 5w30s. Not sure why this is the case.

As to OP, thank you for the VOA. I would be curious to see a VOA of the dealership oil seeing how VW has switch to Mobil for their oil. From what I know, VW dealerships always used Castrol Edge 5w40 "Professional" (same as the normal Edge but with a dye), but seeing how their bottles are the same as Mobil now, I am curious to get a VOA of what the dealerships are now stocking.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I had a question. I was under the impression that Castrol Edge 5w40 was of ACEA A3/B4 spec. If so, then why is TBN showing at 7.9? Doesn't A3/B4 require a TBN ≥10.0? Am I misunderstanding something here?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I had a question. I was under the impression that Castrol Edge 5w40 was of ACEA A3/B4 spec. If so, then why is TBN showing at 7.9? Doesn't A3/B4 require a TBN ≥10.0? Am I misunderstanding something here?

Likely just lab variance with testing is how I would chalk it up. I've run several VOAs on VW502 00 oils and the TBN always is a bit lower than the spec sheet shows.

Likely just lab variance with testing is how I would chalk it up. I've run several VOAs on VW502 00 oils and the TBN always is a bit lower than the spec sheet shows.
Makes sense, and good to know. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Take into consideration guys that Blackstone said that bcs. most of analysis they do is UOA, their method is more accurate doing UOA than VOA.
KV100 is far off what Castrol claims, which is 14.2 as well as TBN, which probably indicates what Blackstone said that VOA won't be as accurate.

In light of that new PDS, I can see what they did with this oil. They basically dropped down to pretty much W30 viscosity in order to get MB229.5 and still sell 5W40 package.
So Noack here is probably around 10%, and HTHS between 3.5-3.6. Since this is Castrol, they will not post HTHS numbers, so it is a guess.
I am now not sure why they are also selling 5W30 A3/B4 next to it as that is pretty much same oil.
Overall, mediocre package. Nothing stands out here. Not sure why buying this next to Mobil1 0W40FS or Castrol 0W40 on same shelf.

Back