Castrol Edge 20,000 mile drain interval

I would trust doing a longer OCI in a port injected engine than on a DI engine based on my 2 Fords. The oil in my PI 2.5 Escape looks good at 7K while my DI 2.0 Focus is pretty dark (soot) at 5K.* The 2.5 has a 5.7 quart capacity while the 2.0 has a 4.5 quart capacity.

*I know oil color doesn't mean much but apparently soot can shorten timing chain life so I change the DI engine's oil more often.

It's strange that these long OCI oils are hitting the market at a time when people seem to be shortening their OCI due to DI engines being harder on oil. I'll stick with 5K OCIs on my DI and 7K on my PI engines. On my daughters Mazda 2.5 the oil doesn't darken as fast as my Focus so I've gone 7K but that's based more on availability of the vehicle to change the oil. All of this is on store bought synthetics like Mobil1, PP, QSUD etc...

PS: I would never (and have never) gone 10K on any oil no matter what the manufacturer claims. Also, now I see why AA and Walmart put the 20K Edge Gold on 'CLEARANCE'....a label change.
Yet, on these "mileage" bottles, there's the disclaimer to follow manufacturer's recommended oci, especially under warranty. From Oil blender marketing standpoint, they are targeting the "less maintenance as possible/more is better" crowd. From a vehicle manufacturer marketing standpoint, they are targeting the "less maintenance as possible" crowd, for a targeted vehicle life. I recall a comment made in a post somewhere on BITOG that longer OCI receive better CAFE "credits", whether this is true or not, I don't know.

What's interesting about these 10,000 mile OCI's that manufacturers state, they still state "severe service" a lower OCI is needed. Toyota states this and follows up on their website: https://support.toyota.com/s/article/What-are-the-oil-chan-7604?language=en_US. I would argue that most people actually operate at least one parameter under "severe service".

So yes, could an off the shelf oil go 20-25k miles, sure, but I would suspect under ideal driving conditions (highway only at reasonable speeds, moderate ambient temps, easy accelerations, long operation times, etc.) UOA's can confirm this or not, if you want to believe every single aspect of these.
I would have more trust in a specialty/boutique oil, but again not all boutique oils are created the same. Again, UOA can help create this decision.

There's a mix of truth and marketing baked into all of this.

I'm also thinking that the cost for a reformulation is a major one. Probably they conducted some extra testing and concluded that the current oils they have in hand can indeed make it to those numbers.
They prolly reformulated atleast once a decade

I think most people go to a quick change and get the cheapest.
Generally, yes. Also there are people that would pay double to triple for the Synthetic Oil change because it's universally better. But many of these places just use mid-tier synthetic (not that their is anything wrong with these synthetics) but that are generally a few dollars more off the shelf.

Yet, on these "mileage" bottles, there's the disclaimer to follow manufacturer's recommended oci, especially under warranty. From Oil blender marketing standpoint, they are targeting the "less maintenance as possible/more is better" crowd. From a vehicle manufacturer marketing standpoint, they are targeting the "less maintenance as possible" crowd, for a targeted vehicle life. I recall a comment made in a post somewhere on BITOG that longer OCI receive better CAFE "credits", whether this is true or not, I don't know.

What's interesting about these 10,000 mile OCI's that manufacturers state, they still state "severe service" a lower OCI is needed. Toyota states this and follows up on their website: https://support.toyota.com/s/article/What-are-the-oil-chan-7604?language=en_US. I would argue that most people actually operate at least one parameter under "severe service".

So yes, could an off the shelf oil go 20-25k miles, sure, but I would suspect under ideal driving conditions (highway only at reasonable speeds, moderate ambient temps, easy accelerations, long operation times, etc.) UOA's can confirm this or not, if you want to believe every single aspect of these.
I would have more trust in a specialty/boutique oil, but again not all boutique oils are created the same. Again, UOA can help create this decision.

There's a mix of truth and marketing baked into all of this.
Exactly.

Of course they're going to have a disclaimer for the user to go with the manual's OCI while under warranty. I would be, frankly, stupid for them not to. I don't see this as dubious marketing.

Does this mean Castrol is using a PAO base stocks now after all these years?? I’m starting to get excited. But will wait for more info to be available

I see Castrol EP.. has more approvals or certifications, then Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc.. For example. "ACEA" What does that mean just that it passed more approvals?

So what are they telling us? That it will outperform another oil with a 6K mile OCI? No one gives a rats-a$$ if an oil can run 20K miles. :rolleyes:

I posted earlier today that th HM version also updated to 15k mi protection. Clearly the website info in a previous post here is older to much older than this label and possibly formulation change. Time will tell.
Interesting. I'm using Edge HM right now from a jug with the updated logo/label and it says 10,000 miles. This was purchased maybe four weeks ago, so it seems they've already revised the new labeling very quickly.

I was at Walmart today and saw that GTX Full Synthetic (silver bottle) is back on the shelves after being absent for a long time. My Walmart has also had Castrol as an end-cap positioned product in the automotive department, and judging by how fast it moves, they seem to be knocking it out of the park with this new label design and increased shelf space/promotion. Anybody else noticing it, or is that just local to me?

I was at Walmart today and saw that GTX Full Synthetic (silver bottle) is back on the shelves after being absent for a long time. My Walmart has also had Castrol as an end-cap positioned product in the automotive department, and judging by how fast it moves, they seem to be knocking it out of the park with this new label design and increased shelf space/promotion. Anybody else noticing it, or is that just local to me?
I mean, I prefer Castrol over M1 in my toyota. Seems to run better

@cheesepuffs2 at the Walmart by me that has a tire and lube, they sometimes put the Castrol on the end cap, when they are running some sort of special on the synthetic oil change, in their tire and lube department. To be honest, since I switched over to Mobil 1 a few years I never did try any other synthetic. Which High Mileage oil are you referring to, Black bottle?

@cheesepuffs2 at the Walmart by me that has a tire and lube, they sometimes put the Castrol on the end cap, when they are running some sort of special on the synthetic oil change, in their tire and lube department. To be honest, since I switched over to Mobil 1 a few years I never did try any other synthetic. Which High Mileage oil are you referring to, Black bottle?
The black bottle HM, yeah. I can post of a photo of it later, I still have the jug.

Back