Castrol Edge 0W20, 4264 mi, '18 CRV

This sample had 3.5qt of Edge black bottle 0W20 and about 1/4qt of Castrol Edge 0W40 added to get it to the full mark. Of note, there was a 2500 mi round-trip road trip from the midwest to the southwest right at the beginning of this OCI. The OLM was at 60% when I changed it. I was really pleased to see the metals drop to below universal averages. Viscosity, despite the low flashpoint, stayed in 20 grade territory. I think that says a lot for keeping OCI
edit: Blackstone had an unusually fast turnaround time for this UOA. Took the sample in the morning on 8/6, dropped it in the mail 8/6 around 2pm, it delivered on 8/8, and results delivered on 8/10.

18 CRV 080622.PNG

This one looks good, but that last sample….
Yeah...it was brutal winter during that OCI, with a week straight below zero and a low of -18F. All short trips in a small town where everything is 1-3 miles away. Short trips plus cold weather = high fuel dilution, low viscosity and potentially increased wear.

Yeah...it was brutal winter during that OCI, with a week straight below zero and a low of -18F. All short trips in a small town where everything is 1-3 miles away. Short trips plus cold weather = high fuel dilution, low viscosity and potentially increased wear.
This just goes to show extended oils aren't for everyone. At least you appear to be informed and are aware of the quirks of the 1.5.

Numbers look good. Just a little thin on exit. You could try a thin 0-30 if you wish.

That horrid fuel dilution in those engines and the fact they have turbo.
Honda has same issues like VW, in 2003.
Right, I get the part about the fuel dilution and turbo. But what makes an ACEA C3 oil better for TDI engines?

Right, I get the part about the fuel dilution and turbo. But what makes an ACEA C3 oil better for TDI engines?
They are far more stout than anything ILSAC. Top oils carry European approvals like MB229.51/52, BMW LL01 or LL04 etc.
C3 are Low-SAPS oils with minimum HTHS of 3.5. They are usually borderline XW40 oils. They have lower evaporation loss (Noack), better base stocks etc.
Go for oil that has MB229.52 approval. Mobil1 ESP 0W30 available in Auto Zone and AAP is excellent choice. MB229.52 besides HTHS, Low Noack, deposit requirements etc. has LSPI test too.

They are far more stout than anything ILSAC. Top oils carry European approvals like MB229.51/52, BMW LL01 or LL04 etc.
C3 are Low-SAPS oils with minimum HTHS of 3.5. They are usually borderline XW40 oils. They have lower evaporation loss (Noack), better base stocks etc.
Go for oil that has MB229.52 approval. Mobil1 ESP 0W30 available in Auto Zone and AAP is excellent choice. MB229.52 besides HTHS, Low Noack, deposit requirements etc. has LSPI test too.
Looks like walmart.com sells both PP Euro LX 0W30 and M1 ESP 0W30 for $7.97/qt, which multiplied by 5 is about the same as AZ and AAP sell for the 5qt jug of ESP. And since I'd only need 4qts, that brings the oil cost down to $31.88. PP Euro L is $26.44 for a 5qt jug, even better deal, but giving up MB 229.52 for 229.51. It's nice to have more options.

Looks like walmart.com sells both PP Euro LX 0W30 and M1 ESP 0W30 for $7.97/qt, which multiplied by 5 is about the same as AZ and AAP sell for the 5qt jug of ESP. And since I'd only need 4qts, that brings the oil cost down to $31.88. PP Euro L is $26.44 for a 5qt jug, even better deal, but giving up MB 229.52 for 229.51. It's nice to have more options.
Yeah, not bad price for those oils.
Only thing is thst AZ and AAP have filter included.

Get 8 quarts to get over $35 and free delivery.

Go with 0w-30. There is a rebate on mobil 1 right now, $8 back per 5 quart. 0w-20 for this engine is asking for trouble.
To be fair anything is going to be asking for trouble if you don't get the car up to operating temperature and get all the excess burned off. But then again I too have switched the majority of the fleet over to 0w30. With the short trips that are taken in extreme cold weather the 0w-20 might start up a tad faster but if you got heavy fuel dilution it could thin it out more than desired especially with forced induction.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering as of Oct 1 , 2022 what brand oils you know of still carry that ACEA C3 and are commonly available
other than the Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 (I know is a great choice - not always on shelf at my walmart). Seems some companies change these approvals as often as we change
socks in some cases.

Last edited:
LIttle help if you do not mind. I read your posts about ILSAC & ACEA C3 motor oils. So I am interested of course. Problem is I do not know how to find more info. When I request which oils are ACEA C3 motor oils..... many brands pop up? Is this marketing games by manufacurers or where am I getting lost trying to find good info on what offerings are truly ACEA C3 motor oils? You listed two you prefer. What others qualify as real ACEA C3 motor oils in 2022?
There are many. But they are required mostly by European manufacturers or American and Asian manufacturers in Europe.
C3 is starting point. European manufacturers then develop their own approvals based on ACEA sequence. If you are going for C3, go oils that have MB229.52 approval.
It is not marketing trick. Long story short, API couldn’t cut it anymore in the beginning of 90’s.

There are many. But they are required mostly by European manufacturers or American and Asian manufacturers in Europe.
C3 is starting point. European manufacturers then develop their own approvals based on ACEA sequence. If you are going for C3, go oils that have MB229.52 approval.
It is not marketing trick. Long story short, API couldn’t cut it anymore in the beginning of 90’s.
thanks... I since have found some good info on exactly what you describe about keeping approvals etc.....

thanks... I since have found some good info on exactly what you describe about keeping approvals etc.....
Here is a list of MB229.52 approved oils:

Looks like there are two that are readily available and reasonably priced in the US:
Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 and 5W30
Pennzoil Platinurm Euro LX 0W30

There are options from Castrol, Quaker State and Valvoline, but I have a feeling they would be really hard to find in the US.

Back