Castrol 0w40 vs M1 0w40

Hello,
I'm aproching an OCI for my Maxima 09 with a VQ35DE, 96k miles. Slightly burning, 3/4 of a quart in 4k miles, short tripper, using the PUP 5w30 for the last 4 OCI, which I will stop doing. Didn't really like the thin weight of PUP and the burning I am experiencing. Plus the oil shearing nature of the VQ engine. PCV is new. Car is bone dry and never leaks from anywhere.
I decided to switch to 0w40 oils and anticipate changing my oil in 2 week. This oil will carry me through the winter months (likely till Feb or March next year).
As a side note, using Widman formula, I was surprised that at 32F Castrol and M1 0w40 having less viscosity than a plain M1 5w30 (the only other option if I would stick to 5w30), that gave me confidence in proceeding with 0w40.
Ambient temp in MD RARLEY gets below 0F in winter.
Which one should I go with? Local WM sells both for $22.38 and both available. Based on shear resistance, base oil quality, cleaning power, cold protection, etc.
Thanks. And excuse my noobness I always learn few things here everyday

I had that engine in an 06 M35 that had similar consumption since it was brand new, running Mobil 1 0w40 stopped the consumption. The engine remained quiet with no noticeable difference in fuel economy. These engines are known to varnish with spec OCI, Mobil 1 does a good job at cleaning and preventing it and has had many great UOA's on this site in this engine.
I like the Castrol 0w40 for Euro engines but Mobil 1 0w40 for this particular one.

Edit: It is not burning oil through the rings or valve seals, it is going up in the form of oil smoke the engine beats it to death and that is where the varnish is coming from.

Hello,
Plus the oil shearing nature of the..
As a side note, using Widman formula, I was surprised that at 32F Castrol and M1 0w40 having less viscosity than a plain M1 5w30 (the only other option if I would stick to 5w30), that gave me confidence in proceeding with 0w40.
Ambient temp in MD RARLEY gets below 0F in winter.
What made you chose a 0W- 40 oil for an engine you claim shears oil.?

What made you chose a 0W- 40 oil for an engine you claim shears oil.?
Viscosity at 100c in many UOA lower by 1 to 1.5 points in few thousands of miles. Starting at 10 will come down to 9. M1 starts at 12.9, if it comes down 1 point lower it will end up as 11.xx (well in 30 weight grade)

I had that engine in an 06 M35 that had similar consumption since it was brand new, running Mobil 1 0w40 stopped the consumption. The engine remained quiet with no noticeable difference in fuel economy. These engines are known to varnish with spec OCI, Mobil 1 does a good job at cleaning and preventing it and has had many great UOA's on this site in this engine.
I like the Castrol 0w40 for Euro engines but Mobil 1 0w40 for this particular one.

Edit: It is not burning oil through the rings or valve seals, it is going up in the form of oil smoke the engine beats it to death and that is where the varnish is coming from.

Thanks. For how many miles you used M1 0w40 for your M35? You still have it? What was your OCI?

2009 Maxima VQ35DE recommended oil is 5W-30.
I am a big fan of QSUD 5W-30 which I am currently using in my Golf year round @5K OCI.
Early on after I bought my car in 2015 I did experiment with both M1 0W-40 and Edge 0W-40 (both oils are VW 502.00 approved).
I also tried once Edge 5W-30 C3 but the engine seemed to run quite rough (sounded like a diesel) compare to 0W-40 oils.

After I learned about LSPI and how sensitive it is to composition of Ca detergent which is the main contributor to LSPI I decided to switch to QSUD. So far I am very happy with it. Engine runs smooth, whisper quiet and I am also getting better Aver. MPG compare to oils mentioned above by about 2-3 MPG.

I keep detail fill ups and mileage in Google Sheets and noticed that the actual MPG is little lower than the car computer numbers for Since Refuel and Extended Period are.
Here's the comparison of QSUD, Edge and M1 to help you eventually decide which one to use.
OILS.jpg

I sold it not too long ago, it was getting old (bought in early 07 as a leftover). I used the 0w40 over 60K in it. 3-5k OCI depending on when it fell eg just before winter or summer.

I am a big fan of QSUD 5W-30 which I am currently using in my Golf year round @5K OCI.
Early on after I bought my car in 2015 I did experiment with both M1 0W-40 and Edge 0W-40 (both oils are VW 502.00 approved).
I also tried once Edge 5W-30 C3 but the engine seemed to run quite rough (sounded like a diesel) compare to 0W-40 oils.

After I learned about LSPI and how sensitive it is to composition of Ca detergent which is the main contributor to LSPI I decided to switch to QSUD. So far I am very happy with it. Engine runs smooth, whisper quiet and I am also getting better Aver. MPG compare to oils mentioned above by about 2-3 MPG.

I keep detail fill ups and mileage in Google Sheets and noticed that the actual MPG is little lower than the car computer numbers for Since Refuel and Extended Period are.
Here's the comparison of QSUD, Edge and M1 to help you eventually decide which one to use.
View attachment 30423

Those are for the old formula numbers for Mobil 1 0w40. The calcium is what does the cleaning and it has a lot.

GradeSAE 0W-40
Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D8741.34
Density @ 15 C, g/cm3, ASTM D40520.8456
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92226
Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C 1x10(6) sec(-1), mPa.s, ASTM D46833.6
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44512.9
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44570.8
Mini-Rotary Viscometer, Apparent Viscosity, -40 C, mPa.s, ASTM D468421600
Phosphorus, mass%, ASTM D49510.1
Total Base Number, mgKOH/g, ASTM D289612.6
Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270186

Nominal Phosphorus Level, 1000 PPM. Nominal Zinc Level, 1100 PPM

Those are for the old formula numbers for Mobil 1 0w40. The calcium is what does the cleaning and it has a lot.

GradeSAE 0W-40
Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D8741.34
Density @ 15 C, g/cm3, ASTM D40520.8456
Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92226
Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C 1x10(6) sec(-1), mPa.s, ASTM D46833.6
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44512.9
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D44570.8
Mini-Rotary Viscometer, Apparent Viscosity, -40 C, mPa.s, ASTM D468421600
Phosphorus, mass%, ASTM D49510.1
Total Base Number, mgKOH/g, ASTM D289612.6
Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270186

Nominal Phosphorus Level, 1000 PPM. Nominal Zinc Level, 1100 PPM
Yes, Calcium does the cleaning but has a detrimental effect on LSPI. Because of that, the newest oil formulations drastically limit the amount of Calcium in favor of higher amount of Magnesium which is also very good detergent without effect on LSPI.

go with whatever's easiest to find, i'm led to believe they should perform similarly. i have run PP Euro 0W-40 as well with great results, and its UOA performance in terms of wear metals was nearly identical to M1 0W-40, so that's also a viable option.

Yes, Calcium does the cleaning but has a detrimental effect on LSPI. Because of that, the newest oil formulations drastically limit the amount of Calcium in favor of higher amount of Magnesium which is also very good detergent without effect on LSPI.

True but in the car he want to use it on it is a non issue.

There is Euro Edge 5w30 also, HTHS of 3.5. In the OP's car though I believe I'd try the Mobil 0w40 first.

View attachment 30423

Isn't high Calcium bad for LSPI?

Edit: Never mind, I didn't see it was already discussed.

Mobil1 0W40, Castrol 0W40, generally Euro oils are loaded with Zinc too which according to some have positive effect in preventing LSPI.
But do not forget, these oils are used in Euro turbo engines, and they do not have a lot of LSPI incidents compared to Asian engines. Only engine I can remember that was prone to it was old VW 1.4 turbo/compressor engine.
Regardless, this engine does not have anything to do with LSPI.

Back