Castrol 0w30 2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi- 4436 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my uoa back from Blackstone and was suprised at the results. Used GC batch 02 on this run of 4436 miles. I currently have just over 15,000 miles on the truck.I am running Mobil 1 EP 5w30 this time around. Comments?

Aluminum 1
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 53
Lead 1
Tin 0
Moly 15
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 4
Silicon 8
Sodium 5
Calcium 2632
Magnesium 110
Phosphorus 712
Zinc 906
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity@220 61.3
Flashpoint 380
Fuel .5
TBN 4.7

Look good, but the flash point is a bit low. Cu is high from break-in. Viscosity is low too. Could be the fuel dilution.

I actually had a typo.

Sodium was 31 which they mentioned could be additive. I hope it's not Anti-Freeze

Aluminum 1
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 53
Lead 1
Tin 0
Moly 15
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 4
Silicon 8
Sodium 31
Calcium 2632
Magnesium 110
Phosphorus 712
Zinc 906
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity@220 61.3
Flashpoint 380
Fuel .5
TBN 4.7

I'd run the EP for the full 15K; that's what it's designed for with the long-life addative pack. The GC should be good for at least 10K, from other's OCIs. If warranty is an issue, then run a less expensive oil for the OEM OCI, such as M1 7500 for 7.5K miles. No sense draining good, expensive oil!

Your silicon is low enough so the higher iron/copper is most likely from break-in wear as Buster says. Though by 10,000 miles on an American V-8 I would have thought that the break-in was complete
dunno.gif
. And yes your flashpoint does look a bit low for so few miles. What type of driving do you do? But then again maybe this is typical for GC. Your TBN is, even by Blackstone standards, good so I'd say you could run greater OCI's without sacrificing wear numbers. This comes from my own experience in running Schaeffers 5W-30 Supreme Blend for one OCI of 4100 miles and the second for 8200 miles. the wear numbers were almost identical even with twice the mileage.

Whimsey

Mostly highway miles on this past run. My concern is for the 31 on Sodium. Do you think this is a cause for concern with only 15,000 miles?

I would not worry about the iron as this is normal for DC products. Usualy the only higher number from DC's modern engines is their iron reading. The copper is still initial break in and is more then likely either from a cam bearing or oil cooler and is not worth worring about at this point. THe other wear metals are perfect for this point in the engines life.

I would give it two more oil changes then do another UOA to see if metals keep trending down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back