Castrol 0w-30 updated spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at the Castrol USA site and saw where the 0w-30 Syntec will meet ISLAC GF-3 when the new oil starts showing up at Autozones and hopefully Walmarts .

It does not lose any of the other specs in doing so . SAE 0W-30: is for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3; BMW LL-01 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.

I have the two generations of the German made oil here without note of the ISLAC GF-3 spec and am curious if anyone has ran across the new labeled bottles of the 0w-30 yet ?

BTW , every one of those Syntecs meet ISLAC GF-3 ... He He even the 20w-50 Syntec
shocked.gif

This is what the web site has had listed for the Syntec 0w30 since the German stuff started showing up. Look closely at the way it's worded: Meets "the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3." That is not the same thing as meeting ALL the GF-3 requirements, which encompass "engine protetction" specs as well as fuel economy specs. Here is what the web site says about Syntec 5w30: Meets "all requirements of ILSAC GF-3..." See the difference?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

Here is what the web site says about Syntec 5w30: Meets "all requirements of ILSAC GF-3..." See the difference?

Yep I see the difference now that you have pointed it out . Thanks .

I'll still be interested in seeing the new oil getting out . When I find the new stuff I'll send in a VOA .

EDIT

I say the new stuff . They might just keep importing it from Germany ???????

[ March 09, 2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

I was going to post this as a new topic, but it fits in well here. I was in an Autozone over the weekend and bought 6 quarts of GC. From what I read here I knew to look for the red label and look out for the yellow label. When I double checked my selection I notice two bottles with RED labels did not state "Made in Germany". In fact the wording was much the same as the yellow label stuff with a worse pour point etc.

Motorbike,

Do you know when the "new stuff" will be coming out?

[ March 10, 2004, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: SSDude ]

quote:

Originally posted by james1:
I was going to post this as a new topic, but it fits in well here. I was in an Autozone over the weekend and bought 6 quarts of GC. From what I read here I knew to look for the red label and look out for the yellow label. When I double checked my selection I notice two bottles with RED labels did not state "Made in Germany". In fact the wording was much the same as the yellow label stuff with a worse pour point etc.

That is some old stock . For a brief period the red label oil was distributed and had the yellow label content .

I just picked up some new label oil that say's " Out Performs " on it and on the back it still says Made in Germany except it's in a different location on the label . The wording on the front label " Outperforms " replaces " Protects in Ways Others Can't " that is on the older bottles of the red label A3 German oil .

Is this the new stuff ? Don't have a clue but until we see a bottle without the Made in Germany on it if it has the newer label like above I presume it's all newer oil than the first generation A3 German stuff .

I think it's here to stay though and another tidbit FWIW , Autozone will special order it for you if you prepay , just like any other non stocked auto part .

This would be terrific if the GC 0W-30 (or equivalent) becomes the standard product.

If it does, it seems that the 5-30 and 10-30 would become irrelevent. Maybe price differential??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back