cars with high mileage

342k miles on a 2008 Prius, been in the family since about 160k. Replaced only brakes, tires, oil/filter, changed ATF, spark plugs, and thermostat/coolant one time. Occasionally clean the intake/TB and MAF. Original traction battery still works great.

Around 275k miles started adding Rislone with oil changes to address oil consumption (was using about a quart/1500 miles), then did a piston soak around 320k. No longer using Rislone, but it now seems to be stable burning a quart of 5w-30 every 4000 miles. Fuel economy is about 42mpg in summer, 36-38 in winter, with a 90% highway commute @ 75mph.

Needs a front wheel bearing and some exhaust repair (leaking near the manifold) but otherwise she’s still rattling & creaking down the road.

1993 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4cyl 22R-E engine with about 163,461 miles. OCI once a year 2015 Toyota Avalon XL, 3.5L V6, 117,184 miles. OCI once a year about 5,000 miles.
Oil is Mobil 1 ESP or PUP with OEM Toyota Filter.

2006 Pontiac Matrix 1ZZ engine. 10-15k oil changes with Motul xclean efe 5w-30 synthetic and either Toyota long filter or Fram Ultra synthetic filter. Guess it's a baby compared to those of you south of the boarder, but it has 242,000 kms doesn't burn a drop of oil and all I've done to it is brakes, intake manifold gaskets and maintenance.

My son will be driving soon was gonna give it to him, but I really love this little beater and I wanna see how long she'll go for. I do face the typical Odometer stopped at 299,999 in a little while, but I can get it reprogrammed to 0 and start again (I'll just place a sticker in the door jam with date and mileage it was rolled back.)

Let's see...my '99 Civic has 260k, '97 Grand Cherokee has 208k, and my '96 Camaro has roughly 215k. All original engines and transmissions.

Parent's cars that I've been maintaining both have over 220k each as well.

2012 F150 3.7 V6, just hit 215k miles, bought it 3 years ago with 151,646 miles, got screwed on the price and had to replace the tranny at 156k but you live and learn. Not a lick of trouble since, keeping it for the long run.

My 07 Ram 5.7 has 222K and still run great. My 87 VW Cabriolet has 188K and can take it anywhere and still uses no oil between changes. My 1986 VW Wesfalia has 186K on it but I did a Motor rebuild at 160K due to fear of stretched Rod bolts. My wife's Mazda 5 is a 2012 and has 141K on it with no issues.

My 2011 Mazda 6 has 176k. Other than routine maintenance it’s needed a front Bank 1 O2 sensor, mass airflow sensor, valve cover gasket, instrument cluster, left and right CV axle, a front subframe (under recall) and a rear subframe (replaced with junkyard part).

The manual transmission gets 75W90 Redline every 50k and the oil gets changed with synthetic every 7-10k miles.

1996 Tacoma 3.4l, 296k, 10k synthetic, regular routine maintenance (plugs, filters, belts, fluids), replaced front brakes 2x, one wheel bearing, ball joint and radiator. Original everything, including the clutch and rear brakes.

1998 BMW M3, 201k, routine maintenance (plugs, filters, belts fluids) original everything except front and rear brakes 1x.

2012 Honda Fit, 144k, routine maintenance by the MM (plugs, filters, belts, fluids, valve adjustment), original everything except front brakes 1x.

My uncles ‘05 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins, bought new, he passed 9 months ago and his son now has it. He’s only put 1k on it since he passed and its now sitting at 478, 150 miles. Its had countless AC compressors, new fan clutch and radiator, tranny rebuilt at 440k by a great rebuilder in Biloxi (went out due to him pulling a heavy load and not putting it in tow/haul, was just a busy morning and slipped his mind, he was adamant about using tow/haul and setting the parking brake everytime he parked) its on the original injectors, turbo and CP3 pump, injectors and CP3 will need to be replaced soon, and its bone stock besides a 4 inch exhaust. Its been a great truck. The key is so worn that its sometimes falls out the ignition and the engine stays running, my cousin and I always laugh about if we had a dollar for everytime that engine was started or the parking brake applied in 17 years.

My uncles ‘05 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins, bought new, he passed 9 months ago and his son now has it. He’s only put 1k on it since he passed and its now sitting at 478, 150 miles. Its had countless AC compressors, new fan clutch and radiator, tranny rebuilt at 440k by a great rebuilder in Biloxi (went out due to him pulling a heavy load and not putting it in tow/haul, was just a busy morning and slipped his mind, he was adamant about using tow/haul and setting the parking brake everytime he parked) its on the original injectors, turbo and CP3 pump, injectors and CP3 will need to be replaced soon, and its bone stock besides a 4 inch exhaust. Its been a great truck. The key is so worn that its sometimes falls out the ignition and the engine stays running, my cousin and I always laugh about if we had a dollar for everytime that engine was started or the parking brake applied in 17 years.
Now that’s an interesting history! Thanks

1993 Toyota Tercel - 364,000km.

I haven't driven it regularly for about 5 years but have let others do so when they needed a vehicle for a while. I had it back on the road for about a year recently but got something else so it's been stored at my parents yard for 6 months. They're moving to a condo in a couple of months and I don't want it at my place so I expect it may be time to sell for cheap.

I bought it in 2007 at 170,000km really cheap, as it had been neglected - transmission oil was black and burned, oil had been run low..... I rebuilt the engine and had the transmission rebuilt as well, at 180,000km. It's been mostly trouble free since then, and has been treated to regular maintenance. I had to replace the CV axle boots a few times (aftermarket ones are cheaper but seem to be junk). Both door handles broke multiple times - again, I bought aftermarket and it has been junk. The distributor went last year and I put a used OEM one in. The alternator also went out and I had a local shop rebuild it.
The interior is getting a bit rough but is still workable.

At this point, it needs a valve stem seal job and is due for a timing belt. I happen to have the parts for that on hand so I think I'll do the timing belt and associated parts, replace all the seals and gaskets I can access while doing that job, do the valve stem seals at the same time, replace the coolant and also a bunch of hoses I have on hand....and then put it up for a few hundred bucks for someone who needs transport.

The tires are ready for replacement and there aren't a lot of choices in 13" nowadays so that'll be the one cost for whoever wants it.

My 2010 Honda Civic has 226,000. It's my go-to-work vehicle. Runs nice and mostly ran SuperTech, Mobile, and Amsoil during its lifetime. OCI 10K or longer. Currently need its oil replaced, sitting at around 12K with Amsoil. Added about 1 quart during this run. Good little engine..

I just traded a 215k miles 2000 F150 with 4.6 engine that is still performing well. Only issue was the rear differential bearings.
I also have a 250k miles 2003 Honda Accord with 2.4 engine that still performs well.
The secret to vehicle longevity is to diligently perform maintenance at or before recommended intervals and use quality products.

Put 300K miles on a 2005 4.6 Crown Victoria. Only major repairs were the Water Pump and AC Accumulator at around 170K miles. Ran 5w20 Mobil 1 AFE and sometimes Motorcraft. Was the best vehicle mechanically I ever owned.

My goal is to hit 300,000 in a vehicle, fell short with my 1999 Honda Accord at 289,000 before I sold it. Thing just became too much of a headache for a daily driver (doesn’t help that I live in the rust belt either).

Currently at 104,000 in my 2016 Toyota Avalon. Zero repairs so far. Did 5,000 mile oil changes using whatever name brand sunytheitc I could get on
sale (lot of Pennzoil Platinum, RGT, some Quaker State, and now a couple runs with Mobil1 EP for 10,000 mile intervals). Engine doesn’t use a drop. My goal is to beat the rust - been doing two fluid film treatments a year since I bought it two years ago used - so far so good, but I’ve seen rust win too many times to count.

Not super high mileage vehicles but combined almost 260k miles
2010 Ford Crown Vic 4.6 with 120k miles was a former patrol car but is currently filled with HPL HDEO 15w40 and i think that will be the plan going forward OCI will be determined via UOA

2017 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost with 142k miles was purchased at 18k miles and ran exclusively on Amsoil SS but occasionally the boosted line up, switched things up on this last OCI and ran Valvoline EP and the next fill will be some flavor of HPL

No major repairs with both vehicles.

Before I traded in my 2007 Honda Accord SE with a 2.4 last year.. It had 386000 on it ans still ran great...Original water pump and alt. no engine work ever done just routine maint....

My Avalanche has 208k an my Tahoe has 237k
Still very reliable. I still tow my 4k + lb camper regularly with them.

Back