cars with high mileage

Brother in law has an '03 Camry LE 4 cyl....210k hard, abused miles. Lived it's entire life on SuperTech conventional and either ST or Fram OC filters.

He also has an '04 Sienna XLE with the 3.3 6....about 200k on it. Saw SuperTech conventional the 1st 15 years of it's life. When they pay us a visit I service it for them. The last couple of years I've throw in SuperTech HM synthetic and a TG filter. Neither vehicle uses any measurable amount of oil in between OCs.....and that can be a long time for the Camry. Sometimes I think they're deliberately trying to kill that thing.

They also have an '02 Prius with a gazillion miles on it....handed down to them by an aunt. It never leaves the city, as it's a 3rd car. I kid you not....bet the oil hasn't been changed in 2 years or more. Never have been able to get my hands on it because they live several hours away.

96 Crown Victoria

360,000 + miles on original motor and transmission

Vehicle will be retired soon because of rust issues.

I had 332k miles on an 89 Caprice. 305 TBI. Original engine. Trans was a used one I installed at 290k when I bought it from the second owner who ran it low on Trans fluid (pan gasket was leaking). Her uncle bought it new. Conventional oil every 4-5k miles until I bought it and switched to synthetic. It used some oil but ran smooth as glass and started at minus 30 no problem. Never once broke down before I had to retire it due to rust. I replaced it with an 83 with 160k, over 10 years ago which I just sold at 240k to a friend in exchange for a paint job and body work on my truck. Also original engine in that car.

320,000+ miles on my 2008 Nissan Altima two door coupe.

Got it with 39,990 miles in Nov 2012. Orginal CVT in the car too. Still runs really, really good. Everything inside works just fine.

Used to run Castrol EP and or Pennzoil Ultra 5w30. Since that time I have run twenty six other different oils in the VQ 3.5 L motor. CV axles replaced on both sides... And all 3 catalytic converter replacement too.

Still very happy to drive the car.

See list in my signature below.
Also, my brother put about 330k on an '85 VW Jetta, and has more than that on a '95 Avalon. Neither had significant engine problems. They also had 3 high-mileage Camrys, two of which died of sudden engine failures.

My wife's dear departed 2000 Accord SE that was at 330k before the box van incident.

My 2003 Accord V6 that's still trucking along somewhere over 230k (Not sure the wife has yet to replace her Accord so she's driving mine :mad: )

The baby of the family is my 08 TL Type S with 177k. I didn't really mean for it to be a daily driver, but here we are.

Although I haven't had this car since 2006, I had a 1988 Honda Accord Sedan 2.0L 2bbl & 4 spd auto with 340,000 miles before it rusted so badly that it was unsafe to drive after 18 years.

Still with the original engine & tranny un-touched as were the wheel bearings, starter, brake MC, P/S pump.

I did replace many brake parts, suspension parts, fuel pump, gas tank, radiator, alternator, AC condenser(compressor was acting up), exhaust parts etc. I sold it for $900

I bought a 1997 GMC Sonoma from a buddy, it had 98k. I drove it to 198k and traded it in because we had a baby on the way and needed the back seat.
Next was 2005 Chevy Colorado crew, bought with 6,400 miles. Twelve years later I sold it to my brother-in-law with 204k on it. I believe he's up to 216k now. (He uses as a work truck for rental properties and some farm duty)
My wife bought a 1999 Volvo S70 brand new. We just donated that to charity in July with over 276k on the odometer.

My purchased new 2002 F150 has over 210k with still no oil loss between changes. Its entire life used M1 15-50 with 8k-10k changes. Trans has M1 ATF and diff has M1 75-140. M1 goes into everything i own including the lawn mower. My Brothers Honda element has over 400K

I hear things like this and I look at our first Toyota a 2019 Highlander that blew two engines before it rolled 10k miles. Some of it is luck of the draw

I hear things like this and I look at our first Toyota a 2019 Highlander that blew two engines before it rolled 10k miles. Some of it is luck of the draw
In old days it was a monday or Friday engine that blew so appeared as luck getting a good engine. Modern manufacturing is night and day better to a larger extent. When you say 2 engines in a row blew i suspect they had a bad batch of components that snuck thru the quality filters. So that the third engine could last forever if treated properly. Of course if it was a dud design the is no fix for that.

In old days it was a monday or Friday engine that blew so appeared as luck getting a good engine. Modern manufacturing is night and day better to a larger extent. When you say 2 engines in a row blew i suspect they had a bad batch of components that snuck thru the quality filters. So that the third engine could last forever if treated properly. Of course if it was a dud design the is no fix for that.

no it was the Toyota 3.5L they use it in everything. We actually blew 3 this year two Toyota 3.5s and a Dodge Pentastar 3.6L all fixed under warranty. The Toyota threw a rod bearing at 2,700 miles. Needed a gasket kit after that to fix oil leaks then blew a HG and they swapped that engine. The Pentastar had a rocker fail and wiped a cam. At least the Dodge made it to 73k miles. I have always used FS oil and changed before factory recommended intervals. Mostly use PP but a few changes of Edge EP and QSUD. Now I stalked up on NAPA Syn because I don’t think that matters anymore weather it’s a top tier brand or a store brand made by a top tier company.

Last edited:
I had an 87 Olds Toronado Trofeo FE-3 that I put a little over 350,000 miles on it. Never used or leaked a single drop of oil. I always used Castrol GTX and a Fram orange can of deliciousness.

Daily driver 1997 Saab 9000 with about 360,000 miles. (Automatic transmission gave out around 300K miles, replaced with junkyard trans.) Occasional drivers 1986 Saab 900S with 300,000 miles (manual trans rebuilt in 2004 at about 140K miles) and 1999 Jeep Cherokee with 250,000 miles (all original drivetrain). The Jeep is the latest model vehicle I've ever owned.

1997 4Runner.. 302k miles, original engine and trans... NO RUST! burns no oil between 5k changes
2002 4Runner 208k miles, original engine and trans, NO RUST! burns no oil between 5k changes
2008 Lexus LX570, 185k miles, no issues, burns no oil between 10k 0W-20 changes

I just hauled a big load of lumber in my 96 Ram diesel with 438k. At this point I’m comfortable enough with it that I’d drive it across country.

My father sold his 91 Chevy Suburban (350 gas engine) with 450,000 miles. Lots of brake jobs couple alternators etc. but never had the trans or engine out of it. Ran 15w-40 diesel rated oil in it most of it's life. Rotella Kendall and DA Lubricants inc. were the 3 mail flavors.

I had a 1990 Ranger with 290k on the original engine and tranny. I sold it a few years back to a guy who worked in construction. I like to think it is still on the road somewhere.

My sister just retired my '99 Villager with 217k...she drove it for 5 years (had 126 k when she got it). Engine and trans were still great but it needed suspension work and was rusting...not worth it. I kept it in pristine condition when I owned it...after 5 years of her abuse I called it the "rolling dumpster". She let me drive it to the recyclers on it's final voyage...seemed appropriate.

Reactions: JC1
Mercury Sable Wagon with about 229,500 on the clock for the 3.0L 24v, runs great but have to take care of a lot of ticks tomorrow and change the oil to make sure she makes it through the winter...

Back