CARQUEST BLUE / PREMIUM FILTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work I read about the carquest premium oil filter and I was shocked.

Tell me what you think about this info?

They tell me at work they are the same thing as the Mobil 1 Oil filters. A guy cut one open and said they are basically the same thing if not better and they are solid.. However the gasket is sorta small. Also the price is not bad... They are not a 4$ filter but there are not over 10$ for most of them.. Also when you buy a oil filter combo that comes purolator Classis or Pure One and sometimes the spcial says the filter cant cost over $7.99 but if you tell sales person to get you are carquest BLUE or RED it will let you get the discount.. I saw this the other day when a customer had a toyota and the Purolator Classic filter was like 18$ so I went and got hims a Carquest Red and it gave him the deal and same when its ia Purolator ONE.. Tell the sales person to give you a Carquest BLUE / PREMIUM

I might have saved you some $$$$

anyways what you think of the specs?

10555794_cqb_84356_pri_larg.jpg

CARQUEST Premium Oil Filters give you the level of quality and performance from the trusted CARQUEST name.

Product Features:

99.5% efficiency rating at 20 microns
Blended media proven for up to 10,000 miles in taxi cab fleet testing
High efficiency and durable cellulose/synthetic blended media for longer drain intervals
Silicone anti-drainback valve has 3X the durability verses nitrile for engine start-up protection
Metal end caps
Internally lubricated gasket
Precision coil spring relief valve

Last edited:
They were made by Champion Lab. Now they are being made by Purolator aka M+H. I bought and ran a Carquest Premium oil filter that was made by Champion Lab and it was just fine. I thought just yesterday about getting another Carquest Premium oil filter because they are only $8. Though I would want the older Champion Lab made one if I could get it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
They were made by Champion Lab. Now they are being made by Purolator aka M+H. I bought and ran a Carquest Premium oil filter that was made by Champion Lab and it was just fine. I thought just yesterday about getting another Carquest Premium oil filter because they are only $8. Though I would want the older Champion Lab made one if I could get it.

Did you read about the oil change deals??

Like when they have 5 QTs of castrol high milage and a purolator Classic for a special price???

Well they always put a cap on the amount the filter can be.. Like $7.99 well if you have a expensive filter and it wont let you get the deal just tell sales person to get you the carquest Prem / blue or the Carquest RED one... and you can get the oil plus filter for that special what ever that price my be..

Yeah that is a great point David1. I really did like the Carquest Premium filter. If and when I get another oil deal there then I will certainly ask for the CQ blue. I do like AAP. Their sales are better than everywhere else I think. Though the people that work at the stores near me are not very great at all. My local O Reilly's has great people working there. One guy looks just like Cy Robertson. He's funny as all get out and very nice too.

Last edited:
They were never quite as robust as the Mobil 1 filters but fairly close when recently made by champion labs, but unfortunately they saw a better deal on an inferior filter and decided to give the contact to someone else.

They used to be made by Wix (the CQ Blue was the same as the Wix/NAPA Gold) with a few model numbers by Donaldson? Then around mid 2015, Fram started making them (Fram and Champ were sister companies), and at that time it was about the same as the Mobil 1 filter (Mobil 1 is currently made by Champ Labs).
Since around mid/late 2016, new ones are made by Purolator, not exactly sure which level Purolator they are equal to (Pure One?).

The same as the Blue? I didn't know the Pure One has syn-blend media.

Does the Napa Gold have syn-blend media?... anyone know?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The same as the Blue? I didn't know the Pure One has syn-blend media.

maybe not Pure One...

But Bosch Distance Plus, which is also Purolator...

and is a syn-blend media.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

Well they always put a cap on the amount the filter can be.. Like $7.99 well if you have a expensive filter and it wont let you get the deal just tell sales person to get you the carquest Prem / blue or the Carquest RED one... and you can get the oil plus filter for that special what ever that price my be..

The manager here will give you any cheaper filter. They used to exclude cartridge filters, but the newest special for Castrol Edge includes them.

Last edited:
When they were made by WIX (Affinia) and Baldwin (Clarcor) they were better than M1 filters. As someone else posted they changed to FRAM after WIX/Baldwin and now to M&H (Purolator). I am glad I scooped all of the ones that I did for my Powerstroke before they switched. I would raise a very skeptical eyebrow now taking into account that M&H's quality has slipped in the past few years.

Yep the Wix and Fram/Champ ones were good. But now they are made by Purolator and many have shown to tear from use so they don't filter at all. This is not a new issue and they know abut it. So I would not use.

The new Purolator CQ Blue is probably a reboxed P1 (the CQ Red is a reboxed Classic). I wouldn't use either.

I heard AAP was lenient on the filter price cap on the oil change deals. Some people have gotten a more expensive filter with no extra cost price difference. It could vary by store though, so YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back