Carjacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you carry, you have to realize there are no-shoot situations, even with armed assailants. My first rule of combat, is for my family and I to survive. Carluver, you weren't there, I was not there. But with your weapon holstered and hidden, facing an armed, weapon in hand attacker, the odds are against you.

Even if the attacker only has a knife, within about 21 feet, you are at a disadvantage if your weapon is not in your hand. You can be killed with an edged weapon with in 21 feet , before you can draw and shoot.

The OP survived so he made the right call.
i understand the nuances of self defense with a handgun. i have taken classes and studied self defense shooting in depth in the 37 years i ahve had my CPL.

what the op did was reasonable as the guy got the drop on him and he was unarmed. he really had no choice . he lived so he is here to post what happened. the opposite side of the coin could be " unarmed Bitog member shot while complying with car jackers demands".

i tell everyone that will listen if they can walk away then do so. Shooting someone ,even if you are in the right, is a very messy thing and best to be avoided.

My 380 concealed carry says he will-not get my vehicle.
I would have given him the car and my wallet if he demanded it!
Even with my concealed weapon. It's also what I was taught in my CWP class.
You use your weapon to defend your life, not risk your life by pulling a gun while someone already has one pointed at you. Your chances are slim indeed. Risk your life over a car? Or possibly be disabled for life?

Also its kind of iffy if you did manage to shoot the person as taught in CWP class, was your life really in jeopardy? You better be able to prove it. Were you defending your home and family from an intrusion or simply trying to prevent a car theft? This can get you in legal trouble and very costly in civil liability all over an insured car and possibly the money in your wallet.

Sometimes a cool head is more important than the emotion of the moment and a dose of swallowing ones pride can save a big headache. :unsure:

Last edited:
That's EXACTLY what I thought! Perp would have got in my car, ground the gears a few times and stalled it. Then I would probably get shot...
Same here.

332132264_717883516649400_4910248871016373265_n.jpg

The criminal had his gun out and pointed at the OP.

If he’s willing to shoot you, you will get shot before you’ve drawn your .380…you’re not that fast.

Nobody is that fast.
Yeah I carry everywhere but sometimes it doesn't work out. You can't be situationally every second you're out. I attended a class given by an FBI agent. He said if someone gets the drop on you, you might as well have left the gun home. Never forgot that.

Even if the attacker only has a knife, within about 21 feet, you are at a disadvantage if your weapon is not in your hand. You can be killed with an edged weapon with in 21 feet , before you can draw and shoot.

The OP survived so he made the right call.
We were curious about the 21 feet deal so we did a drill. One of us 7 paces away at right angle to the shooter. With no warning rush the shooter and pass behind as he has to draw and shoot a target 5 feet in front of him. Conclusion: you may get a shot off but you're going to get cut. Any closer and we couldn't get a shot. If someone has a knife get the gun out now.

OP did it right.

Side question for everyone: If you got your car back would you keep it?

Not sure what a “clean shoot” would cost me, in a situation like this, where drawing leather is justified. But I am guessing more than replacing my vehicle.

Not everything can be reduced to numbers, but even in todays car buying market, i’d rather deal with a slimeball car salesman than a shooting aftermath.

Last edited:
Wow - only one choice there … Survive …

We thought we had a vehicle stolen - called police and then OnStar … OnStar disabled car at first stop - a drive in grocery … Turned out son’s friend grabbed the keys and borrowed the car … (girl’s to pickup) …
After the big burly Sheriff got done chewing that hide - I had little else to add. 😳

At least you are safe. Cars can be replaced. Once it’s gone I’d rather it just never come back and get paid by the insurance company.
I agree, the best theft claims are the ones where the vehicle is never found. If you get it back in decent condition how do you know there isn't fentanyl or used needles under the seats? Will the police use a drug dog to assist? Did the guy drive it like crazy and thrash the suspension or engine? There will be a long line claims if you get it back because every little issue might be from the theft.
but it's so obvious that SOP is to look for fraud.
Every theft or fire claim is assumed to be fraud, red flags pop up in the system and are assigned to special adjusters internally.
even if you are in the right, is a very messy thing and best to be avoided.
I've read the best thing to do when you shoot someone is to say "I have been attacked, I invoke my fifth amendment rights, talk to my attorney" when the police talk to you. I guess in this case you might want to add your vehicle was stolen but that's about it? Maybe some LEs here can advise.

Last edited:
Glad you made it out unscathed.

The biggest issue here is the perpetrator likely got away with it, meaning he will do it again and maybe the next guy won't be as lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back