Carbon cleaning....questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to give my 4.6L Ford Modular v-8 a carbon cleaning bath at 85,000 miles...there are many shops which perform a fuel injector cleaning..such as Goumot service...does this also clean the deposits from intake and throttle body area? if not, what kind of service is available for doing that? Is there any need to change the fule filter after such a service?
Is there any danger involved in a decarbonizing servcie? or should I just put a can of BG-44k in the tank?

Also, I'm getting ready to change the spark plugs, isn't it better to get the carbon-cleaning done BEFORE getting the new ones?

Pls advice me on this; thanks in advance.

I'm curious about the BG-44 compared to a professional cleaning also. Would this be considered good maintenance, or more of a fix for a current problem? Nissan doesn't recommend any fuel or oil additives for my '97 Maxima. At 78,000 miles, how dirty can my injectors be?

Dave

52 VERS 3 BOTTLES OF NEUTRA. hmmm, why spend 52? you can do the same with 3 bottles of neutra and get better results. That's why toyota keeps the neutra in stock as they have those proffessional cleaners and after they don't work, they bring out neutra. (they are required to use so much of toyota's chemicals each month.).

1 in the oil, one in the fuel, and one can be sprayed into the intake carefully while engine is running. Will produce a pile of black smoke clearing out carbon build up and all for under 10-15.00 bucks. Just be careful when applying the intake as it must be sprayed not sucked directly in or you can hydrolock your engine with any solid liquid and that is not a good thing. If done properly, awsome results.

Actually, you can do that with just about any good fuel cleaner such as lucas,amsoil?,chev techron. As for putting those into the oils, I dont think they can do that as neutra does, but for intake cleaning, the above works.

All modern cars get carbon build up that usually cannot be easily or thoroughly cleaned with a product that is diluted in the gas tank. A fuel induction or carbon cleaning service uses specifically designed products to dissolve the carbon etc. They are usually introduced through a vacuum port near the throttle body and slowly dripped into the system over a 10-20 minute period while the engine idles. Another companion product is used in the gas tank and the throttle body may or may not be spray cleaned. I just had my 95 Explorer, 74,000 miles, done at a local station for $70 and although it had no problems before ( regular Neutra doses) it was smoother, and more felt more powerful on the old but-o-meter. Then I found this link with a home do it your self version of the same product: http://www.carfood.net/trimfaq.html The trimaxx2000 cleaner they offer, among other products, is the same stuff used in many professional places and you can get the kit with the bottle and chemical for two cars for about $52. I plan to get it for my other vehicles.

I forgot to reply that yes these carbon cleaning/fuel induction services are safe and clean all the stuff out from your intake system including fuel injectors, intake manifold, valves and tops of pistons.

Good. There are many shops that use the machines to do this. And there are cheaper means as well.

If you always use or least on a regular basis use a fuel additive that lubricates the upper cyl.
you can keep this to a minimum and also protect your injectors. I use a cleaner every tank, and I don't plan on ever needing one, well maybe once or twice in a Million miles.

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
I want to give my 4.6L Ford Modular v-8 a carbon cleaning bath at 85,000 miles...there are many shops which perform a fuel injector cleaning..such as Goumot service...does this also clean the deposits from intake and throttle body area? if not, what kind of service is available for doing that? ---snip---

As far as the filters and such, I'd have all new installed before.

BG makes an intake cleaner in a can that your mechanic can spray in while you keep the revs up, it will produce a white smoke and clean anything up there... or you can try this nutra stuff, I have never but it sounds doable.

Also, before you do the injectors and such, I would take the air intake cover off the ThrottleBody and have the mechanic clean this from the air side real good before the cleaning.

Interesting info here

Not sure which of the various types of injectors are on your Ford, or how accessable they are, but general concensus is that pulling them, and having them cleaned of-car is the most effective way to go

I'd wait on the plug change, and change the oil after any cleaning process. Seems like I recall a few reports of O2 sensor contamination after some cleanings? maybe others can comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back