Carbon cleaning intake valve pics - 73K of full SAPS Euro oil use

Sure it was a new CLA45 AMG? Could it have been a CLA35 with AMG badging? Last model in the states with the M139 engine (the actual 2.0 4cyl, high power output AMG engine), I believe, was in 2021. Depending on your mods, I may see a potential advantage to an actual CLA45 AMG with the M139, anything else is easily beaten. I don't think MB USA is bringing over the M139 GLA/CLA variants to N.A. for 2022 HOWEVER, they are badging the 35's as AMG because they can add the AMG styling and it comes with the "AMG enhanced" 2.0L turbo engine (not an actual AMG engine as compared with the M139). Really wish we could get the new A45 S here.

Your valves don't look too bad in the "before" pic but they look great in the "after" pic. Thanks for sharing. Are you using a catch-can or AOS? I don't know how my valves look (2015 MB M133 DIT engine @about 45K miles), the PCV port on the intake manifold was too small for my borescope.

Anyhow, what are your mods? what kind of power are you putting down?
Thanks
Yep - CLA45 AMG sedan...the one with the ~380hp listed (at the crank). Had 30-day tags so new may mean a few years old/not current model year.

No catch can.

My mods: Golf R "IS38" turbo. Unitronic software. Downpipe/intercooler/intake, etc...."FBO". My car makes about 360 at the crank but keep in mind it's lighter than that Merc by ~300 pounds. He had a passenger. The cars are v. close in power but it's so fun to see someone look over at my car with the "WOAH!" face when they were expecting an easy kill!

20220218_083915.jpg

Yep - CLA45 AMG sedan...the one with the ~380hp listed (at the crank). Had 30-day tags so new may mean a few years old/not current model year.

No catch can.

My mods: Golf R "IS38" turbo. Unitronic software. Downpipe/intercooler/intake, etc...."FBO". My car makes about 360 at the crank but keep in mind it's lighter than that Merc by ~300 pounds. He had a passenger. The cars are v. close in power but it's so fun to see someone look over at my car with the "WOAH!" face when they were expecting an easy kill!

You have some Dragy times on yours?

You have some Dragy times on yours?
Oh yes.....all you can ever want! Bottom line: my PR 1/4 mile is 12.10/113.43. That's ideal conditions (cold and near sea level), down a bit on weight, running E25. 0-60 best is 3.91. Thing rips for what it is!

Oh yes.....all you can ever want! Bottom line: my PR 1/4 mile is 12.10/113.43. That's ideal conditions (cold and near sea level), down a bit on weight, running E25. 0-60 best is 3.91. Thing rips for what it is!
Nice! Right on par with that CLA45 based on C/D's results on a '20 (which appears to be same engine as '22)...3.7s 0-60 and 12.2s 1/4

Nice! Right on par with that CLA45 based on C/D's results on a '20 (which appears to be same engine as '22)...3.7s 0-60 and 12.2s 1/4
Exactly. We were rolling/moving and was just playing around but from a roll I was pulling ahead.

Reactions: MSH
What fits into those 1/2 radius machine cut into each side of the port? What ever fits in there, does it still follow the couture of the port walls like there were no radius cut into the port? How did you clean them, walnut blasting? Did you do it?
They actually make an adapter that fits into the port with an opening to put the walnut nozzle and hook up a shop vac. Many diy guys 3D print their own.

They actually make an adapter that fits into the port with an opening to put the walnut nozzle and hook up a shop vac. Many diy guys 3D print their own.
Yes, I have seen a video of a guy doing his Mini with one of those. It doesn’t take much blast time and they are as clean as the posters pics, at that is even with a loaded up carboned port/valve.

Looks a bit better than the one I recently did.

Shops usually get intake time plus .5 per cyl for the walnut blast. Cost usually ends up being in the $1500 neighborhood.

Not sure about the 1.8, but water pump replacement doesn’t require intake removal on the ea888’s. There isn’t any labor overlap between the two operations.

Looks a bit better than the one I recently did.

Shops usually get intake time plus .5 per cyl for the walnut blast. Cost usually ends up being in the $1500 neighborhood.

Not sure about the 1.8, but water pump replacement doesn’t require intake removal on the ea888’s. There isn’t any labor overlap between the two operations.
While you can do it without pulling the intake it's got to be easier doing it - I've seen DIYs doing it both ways. $600 labor for water pump and thermostat housing and $300 carbon clean. Genuine VW parts so about $650 or so there.

Last edited:
While you can do it without pulling the intake it's got to be easier doing it - I've seen DIYs doing it both ways. $600 labor for water pump and thermostat housing and $300 carbon clean. Genuine VW parts so about $650 or so there.
First visit: R/R'ed water pump and thermostat assembly after removing the throttle body and throttle body pipe for access.

Second visit: R/R'ed intake manifold to clean intake valves.

Third visit: R/R'ed intake manifold again due to one failed injector. 😂

There isn't a need to remove the intake to replace the water pump. With the throttle body and throttle body pipe out of the way, there was adequate room for access. There is definitely more room with the intake off but the extra space is just a luxury.

Gotta wonder if ever doing a full rebuild - if a good job of polishing would reduce/delay the CBU …

No catch can.

View attachment 90564
Nice ride! I am sure they were shockingly surprised!

Install a good PCV catch-can and see how they look 70K more miles down the road compared to how they looked before this cleaning.

Back