Caravan, new or used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go for a new one. Incentives arent as good as they were a few years ago. I bought new because I got a great deal at the end of August and it was zero percent interest as well.

Do you know which features you want?

Originally Posted By: JC1

Ones that don't break.
wink.gif

Funny thing, I asked my son if he'd like electric doors--I had noticed that the door pull was kinda hard on the ones I tried, not dead easy. Surprisingly he said he didn't like them--doors move too slow! TBH, though, don't need electric doors, as it's not like he needs to get in and out on his own, there will always be someone there to help. But from what I can tell, they can be turned off so they can be ignored if it was a real problem. Power liftgate, again nice but needed? Not really. And no idea how that plays out if it breaks (does it work at all?). Nav? No, we have $100 Garmins. Backup camera, now that is needed--but TBH kits are dime a dozen. Nicely integrated systems though are nice, so if I found the right deal I bet I could find a DIY on a forum to swap in an OEM head unit. I do like power seats all of a sudden, but it's not like the world would end if I didn't have. Heated mirrors, those are nice but only one of my fleet has 'em and we manage. I don't want to put anything on the roof (too high up) so don't care about roof rack rails (would rather tow a trailer).

Honestly I think sto&go is the only option "needed", outside of being cheap, reliable, roomy. Electric mirrors and a spare tire, those should be standard but you get the idea.

Edit: I know what the wife would like: remote keyless entry. Her car doesn't have it, and she has mentioned that she'd like to have. One of these days I should "fix" that in her car, somehow.

Last edited:
When I bought my 2015 I didn't want any extras.taht would brake later on as well.

No power rear doors or liftgate and no rear AC.

Only musts where full stow n go and power windows on the rear doors.

Power locks and heated mirrors are standard. I changed the head unit with a JVC and added a backup camera. Cost me less than $500.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

What qualityconcern can you objectively assess and provide? The pentastar v6 seems like a decent design, and any vendor has “quality” challenges when they get too fancied up. Many vendors have slipped in quality due to infotainment warranty issues, for example.

This says it all and gathered from 2015 MY vehicles:
2018016a.jpg

I'd rather roll the dice on Kia than Dodge.

Fair enough, everyone has an opinion. Took a quick look, Kia runs about $26k to Dodge's $24k; and that's about the same if one loads up the Dodge with that lifetime warranty. At that point it's all about functionality, and it seems few fault how Dodge pulls off theirs.

Moving on: Dodge is 166, Lexus is 99. Less than 2x from best to Dodge(y). And even less from industry standard average of 142. Not quite a smoking gun. What's more surprising is that all cars have problems (99 out of 100 of the best will have a problem?). Methinks we need to find what the median is here and not the average. And how many were big vs small. Heck my 2011 Camry had a problem--the parking brake handle got loose. Had it tightened up during maintenance inside of warranty period. Egads has Toyota gone downhill!

$26K Kia, $24K Dodge? I'd take the Dodge, even it the numbers were reversed.

If you shopped CPO, they should have powertrain warranty out to 100k miles instead of 60k.

Ok, I have a fleet of government Caravans.

The caravan is "average" and the only real perks are that it is roomy and the ride is great. Fuel economy is poor and the wear is bad.

Reliability and fit-and-finish is "good" to "meh". I have a least two that look like a monday morning hangover build and other that are fantasticgood. Things may shake and rattle a little, the fit is meh.... but not the horror stories as some other Chrysler products. However, when you compare it to the Honda/Toyota offering... there is a reason why they can get twice the price. I have no doubt that in 5 years the interior will be a broken mess and you will have a lot of consumables. Granted, my use is more akin to a rental agency but the Caravans just wear badly. They run but often it is as an incomplete life.

As for Kia, I would personally take the Lambda 3.3 over the Pentastar 3.6. The Lambda is just the better engine as a robust option. Power is about the same with a slight edge to the Dodge but I would take any transmission over the Dodge's 62TE. That is a known issue.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

As for Kia, I would personally take the Lambda 3.3 over the Pentastar 3.6. The Lambda is just the better engine as a robust option. Power is about the same with a slight edge to the Dodge but I would take any transmission over the Dodge's 62TE. That is a known issue.

I find this part odd as the Pentastar is more reliable, better HP, better fuel economy and it is MPFI vs GDI for the kia.

How many issues have you personally had with the dodge 6spd? I spent a lot of time researching minivan ATXs and this one seemed by far the most issue free from perusing the different forums on the net. Is your comment based on your experience or internet reading?

Ok, I have a fleet of government Caravans.

The caravan is "average" and the only real perks are that it is roomy and the ride is great. Fuel economy is poor and the wear is bad.

Reliability and fit-and-finish is "good" to "meh". I have a least two that look like a monday morning hangover build and other that are fantasticgood. Things may shake and rattle a little, the fit is meh.... but not the horror stories as some other Chrysler products. However, when you compare it to the Honda/Toyota offering... there is a reason why they can get twice the price. I have no doubt that in 5 years the interior will be a broken mess and you will have a lot of consumables. Granted, my use is more akin to a rental agency but the Caravans just wear badly. They run but often it is as an incomplete life.

I guess it comes down to, what breaks and gives up? Trim pieces are minor, transmissions major. I know the oil cooler is a problem (not sure about cooler lines too?). Which I don't understand why it would be a problem year after year, but it seems well known and possibly a fast fix (keep one on the shelf?).

I too thought the 62TE was pretty robust. Anything can break, of course.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

I find this part odd as the Pentastar is more reliable, better HP, better fuel economy and it is MPFI vs GDI for the kia.

How many issues have you personally had with the dodge 6spd? I spent a lot of time researching minivan ATXs and this one seemed by far the most issue free from perusing the different forums on the net. Is your comment based on your experience or internet reading?

Do you have any proof on the pentastar claims?
wink.gif

Similar applications suggest that economy is about a equal/wash and more dependent on the tranny. The Lambda family has at nearly 50bhp max on the pentastar in NA guise (305bph vs 348bhp) and about 10% more torques. Rumor of the turbo pentastar hasn't happened but the Lambda T exists. Hyundai and Kia have been pwning FCA across most vehicle reliability matrixs and the V6 vehicles tend to rate higher than the 4 bangers within the h/k ranking. Speaking of which, go back and look up the "Global Engine Alliance" interesting stuff...

As for experience... you want personally or via the fleet? I had a torque converter failure in a sebring and the transmission replaced on another (grew up in a chrysler family). So 2 depending if you consider the 40TE 41TE and the 62TE as the same family. So I would say "plenty" if you tossed in fleet experience. The 62TE is newer in our fleet (vehicles are sub 30K) but have had two issue under warranty. The 40TE have had at least 750K or more mile combined in the fleet but most have since been surplussed and I have only one left. The 40TE have had burnt clutchpacks between 70-110K requiring replacement. Granted, this is nowhere near the problems I have had with 2009-2013 Impalas. The Journeys with 41TE have not "failed" but are more shunned for being a clunking sort.

We have had the 'common' an issue with a failed/defective solenoid pack repaired under warranty. Another issue was a bit more challenging. It was kicking us into a limp home mode and often giving us an issue with a speed sensor. However, it would also have an intermittent issue with shuddering. It took our dealer and they "played with it" the corrected the sensors issue but something just isn't right with that van as it is prone to be a bit more lethargic about shifting (up/down). I think there is either something flawed within that slushbox or it was a botched repair.

As for the Lambda vs Pentastar... the Pentastar is a good engine (yay, Diamler Chrysler did something right... which is really the reason why folks like the pentastar as the old lH engines were such a hot mess and the 3.5 were 'meh' at best and more of an attempt to get you to the 5.7.), but the Lambda is the golden goose of Hyundai/Kia engines. A passing look at vehicles equipped with the 3.3 or 3.8 and there isn't any major engine issues. I have not hear anything either (the Theta yes, not for the Lambda). Fuel economy is about the same (20 combined fe.gov), comparing both minivans, which is more likely an item with the tranny but I have always been disappointed by the low 20s returned in the fuel reports. I get as good if not better hooning my Ginny with the larger variant. If you really want to point to the best engine of the two, the Lambda family has had better success despite being the older of the two.

I am not had nor hear the GDi issues, actually more timing chain items but that isnt all that common compared to most make. There hasn't been any mumor about any GDi issues with these engines either (at least on the Genesis forums). It will be interesting to see how it handles the turbo on the 3.3 but we are a few years out on that.

Do you have any proof on the pentastar claims?
wink.gif

Yes. Several family & friends have owned them with zero issues among other documented data points.

Similar applications suggest that economy is about a equal/wash and more dependent on the tranny. The Lambda family has at nearly 50bhp max on the pentastar in NA guise (305bph vs 348bhp) and about 10% more torques. Rumor of the turbo pentastar hasn't happened but the Lambda T exists. Hyundai and Kia have been pwning FCA across most vehicle reliability matrixs and the V6 vehicles tend to rate higher than the 4 bangers within the h/k ranking. Speaking of which, go back and look up the "Global Engine Alliance" interesting stuff...

As for experience... you want personally or via the fleet? I had a torque converter failure in a sebring and the transmission replaced on another (grew up in a chrysler family). So 2 depending if you consider the 40TE 41TE and the 62TE as the same family. So I would say "plenty" if you tossed in fleet experience. The 62TE is newer in our fleet (vehicles are sub 30K) but have had two issue under warranty. The 40TE have had at least 750K or more mile combined in the fleet but most have since been surplussed and I have only one left. The 40TE have had burnt clutchpacks between 70-110K requiring replacement. Granted, this is nowhere near the problems I have had with 2009-2013 Impalas. The Journeys with 41TE have not "failed" but are more shunned for being a clunking sort.

We have had the 'common' an issue with a failed/defective solenoid pack repaired under warranty. Another issue was a bit more challenging. It was kicking us into a limp home mode and often giving us an issue with a speed sensor. However, it would also have an intermittent issue with shuddering. It took our dealer and they "played with it" the corrected the sensors issue but something just isn't right with that van as it is prone to be a bit more lethargic about shifting (up/down). I think there is either something flawed within that slushbox or it was a botched repair.

As for the Lambda vs Pentastar... the Pentastar is a good engine (yay, Diamler Chrysler did something right... which is really the reason why folks like the pentastar as the old lH engines were such a hot mess and the 3.5 were 'meh' at best and more of an attempt to get you to the 5.7.), but the Lambda is the golden goose of Hyundai/Kia engines. A passing look at vehicles equipped with the 3.3 or 3.8 and there isn't any major engine issues. I have not hear anything either (the Theta yes, not for the Lambda). Fuel economy is about the same (20 combined fe.gov), comparing both minivans, which is more likely an item with the tranny but I have always been disappointed by the low 20s returned in the fuel reports. I get as good if not better hooning my Ginny with the larger variant. If you really want to point to the best engine of the two, the Lambda family has had better success despite being the older of the two.

I am not had nor hear the GDi issues, actually more timing chain items but that isnt all that common compared to most make. There hasn't been any mumor about any GDi issues with these engines either (at least on the Genesis forums). It will be interesting to see how it handles the turbo on the 3.3 but we are a few years out on that.

In short, since this is about Kia Sedona and Chrysler/Dodge minivans, it sure looks like you don't. You quickly moved goalposts to try and paint a point which means you had nothing to base your comments on with this discussion.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Go for a new one. Incentives arent as good as they were a few years ago. I bought new because I got a great deal at the end of August and it was zero percent interest as well.

I have to agree with buying new at end of the year.

In short, since this is about Kia Sedona and Chrysler/Dodge minivans, it sure looks like you don't. You quickly moved goalposts to try and paint a point which means you had nothing to base your comments on with this discussion.

In what way did I move the goal posts? You specifically mentioned the Pentastar vs Lambda conversation and I followed up with more detail.

If you are going to talk engine preferences, when why not talk about the engines within their respective family. It isn't like the minivans are the only source for the engine/tranny combo.

Reliability? Kia easily (JD power give the Kia 5 dots (best score), Dodge two dots (worst score). CR, well Kia is still like two correct and FCA is in the lower 1/3? Power is within +/- 10bhp and, in theory, the Caravan has a edge with more torque lower down... but most 0-60 springs from C&D and or MT show the Kia at 7.4/-7.9 and the Caravan at 7.9... so whatever advantage the Caravan has is lost in the delivery. Fuel economy is a wash as Caravan is one more highway, but the Kia is one more city... so even.

Both engines have a broad range of applications. I actually own a Lambda engine and follow the community. Combine that with my fleet of 7 pentastars, I can speak to both engines and provided my preference. When you get into the granular about engine/transmission pairing, then yes, you can talk beyond the "marketed name". To say you can't pull information about a Caravan from the Journey or a Sedona form a Sorento is kinda boggling.

I oversee a small government FLEET of vehicle, many are Caravans with 2005-2015 model ranges from the 3.3 with the 41TE to the 3.6 with a 62TE. I have had well over 1m miles on these combined. I have had multiple Chevy Uplanders, Tahoes, Impalas, Ford Taurus, Explorers, PI, Transits, E-Series, and a few Nissans. I have had about 15 or so of the darn things. The 62TE is literally an adapted 41TE to meet fuel economy targets.

Yes. Several family & friends have owned them with zero issues among other documented data points.

Yeah, I *hear* that all the time.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
How would Honda, Toyota or a Kia minivan fare in fleet use? I believe Overkill posted his Toyota Sienna rental experience and it did not fare too well with interior wear and tear.

That is kinda tough. Commercial fleets rotate their stock earlier. So having a government fleet that runs the lifetime of the vehicle (15 year or 160K+ in my case) is rare. We are even moving away from that model and adopting an EHI-syle plan where sell with 50% value since the used market is bonkers compared to the government fleet purchase option.

I wonder if Georgia (state) has a Kia fleet. Maybe Kentucky etc has Toyotas. Maybe, I don't know their purchasing items. Here in NC, it is all domestic + nissan.

How would Honda, Toyota or a Kia minivan fare in fleet use? I believe Overkill posted his Toyota Sienna rental experience and it did not fare too well with interior wear and tear.

That is kinda tough. Commercial fleets rotate their stock earlier. So having a government fleet that runs the lifetime of the vehicle (15 year or 160K+ in my case) is rare. We are even moving away from that model and adopting an EHI-syle plan where sell with 50% value since the used market is bonkers compared to the government fleet purchase option.

I wonder if Georgia (state) has a Kia fleet. Maybe Kentucky etc has Toyotas. Maybe, I don't know their purchasing items. Here in NC, it is all domestic + nissan.

Well, that's why I brought this up. You make some great points, but your view is highly skewed by your fleet experience, which is mostly domestic. Fleet and personal ownership are two different things, but you draw your conclusions mainly from comparing the two. We would need someone that manages Toyota, Honda or Kia in their fleet to have any meaningful comparison.
Also, Dodge and Chrysler minivans simply dominate the landscape both in fleets and personal use, it is normal that there will be more problems reported.

Well, that's why I brought this up. You make some great points, but your view is highly skewed by your fleet experience, which is mostly domestic. Fleet and personal ownership are two different things, but you draw your conclusions mainly from comparing the two. We would need someone that manages Toyota, Honda or Kia in their fleet to have any meaningful comparison.
Also, Dodge and Chrysler minivans simply dominate the landscape both in fleets and personal use, it is normal that there will be more problems reported.

I dunno, if they can't go 150k without major issues, it's kinda disappointing. Just how hard is fleet use? Just transporting a few people at time, right? That's what it's meant to do in the first place.

It sounds like minivans just aren't built to last--well nothing is, but they are subpar compared to a sedan.

On the flip side, I'm starting to get the wife warmed up to the idea of taking two vehicles if need be. Which is a shame as I had gotten myself ready to trade out of my truck!

I dunno, if they can't go 150k without major issues, it's kinda disappointing. Just how hard is fleet use? Just transporting a few people at time, right? That's what it's meant to do in the first place.

It sounds like minivans just aren't built to last--well nothing is, but they are subpar compared to a sedan.

On the flip side, I'm starting to get the wife warmed up to the idea of taking two vehicles if need be. Which is a shame as I had gotten myself ready to trade out of my truck!

I have those stats. Minivans have approximately 13-16 reservations per month (about 300 total in a busy month excluding assigned vehicle). For comparison, SUVs are in the low 20s and are use more, average length of a reservation is just over a day, travel about 60-90 miles per reservation. For minivans, average occupancy is 4.3 (lots of group trips), with a lot compared to the sedan and SUV (1.6 and 2.1). We put about 20-30K on them a year, average 21mpg.

Hard but not extreme use like the DPS aka Protective Services or Prisons. Those are rough vehicles.

Supton/OP,

Search your local craigslist/autotrader/cars/etc etc for used minivans: look at the pictures for the 100k+ miles examples.
There is your answer....

Fleet/trades use may be different than residential...

Also, re: wife long driving neck pain: change sleeping pillow and mattress.
Also re-check adjustments of seat for her?
Maybe a massage from time to time? to relax those tight shoulders and neck.

Would a mazda5 fit the bill for a small mom-mobile in your area? should be enough space for mom, 2 kids and a beagle with third seat down.
Like that you get to keep your '97.

If not, I would still keep looking for a caravan/T&C and just adjust your expectations to 5 years/100k miles. If you get to more (10years/200k miles) is the cherry on top!

We lease them through Enterprise Rideshare for our vanpool. We had a 2015 model and they took it back when it got to 48K miles. We now have a 2018 model.

Seems to be a decent van and gets about 20 mpg during our daily commute. Our 2017 held up pretty well considering there are 6 adults riding in it and each one drives a different day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back