Caravan, new or used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I overthink things.

Is it worth buying used? Looking at what shows up for a few years old, they seem to depreciate around 10c/m. If it has 80k on the clock it's $12k. If it has 100k it's $10k. Etc.

Buying a used one is making me nervous. People bad talk Caravan for various reasons. Yes I've heard of internet amplification, but, I'd hate to shell out money and then have to shell out more money. I'm seeing new SE's for $23k (sto&go with rear a/c) ($24k out the door?). I see Chrysler is listing 1.9% APR. I can use my truck as a trade in, finance the rest and pay off over a couple years. Not what I want but everything will be done "right", I get the best years and I *should* get good lifespan. But then I have a loan.

Finding some used ones but often they have no powertrain warranty left. I did find this 2015 SXT former rental that I liked, has new brakes, new RT43's and a year left of powertrain (go figure, in 2015 Dodge was 5yr/100k, in 2016 they dropped to 5yr/60k). Power doors etc. Florida refugee so it's clean. But still costs money. But it costs less than new. But it won't give me as many miles (that much closer to the end). But...

21.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They're a steal new, I'd just do that.

+1

I would buy new and purchase the lifetime powertrain warranty from a Dodge online.

Last edited:
"people bad talk Caravan" Yet you are thinking of buying one new or used?

Originally Posted By: CT8
"people bad talk Caravan" Yet you are thinking of buying one new or used?

I have a tough time disassociating emotion from decision making. But yes, I would still consider this "bad" vehicle. Sienna is $10k more. $10k buys a lot of repairs. Plus not everyone has bought a lemon Dodge. Some did, and they clearly had bad years. But a number of people had good versions of this vehicle.

As much as I want to plan for a 10c/m depreciation and 230k lifespan, I have to remember that this is a larger vehicle that does more than an econobox. I suspect buying new my expectations should be about 5yr/100k of relatively trouble free driving (tires and brakes and fluids). Followed by another 2-3 years and 50k with a couple grand of repairs. At that point it's "done its duty" and can be given away. [Hopefully it feels wonderful at that point and can be driven for more years to come! in which case I'll evaluate vehicle status and my vehicle needs.]

It should be all about TCO but I'll admit to being a sucker about not wanting to deal with vehicle problems.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

+1

I would buy new and purchase the lifetime powertrain warranty from a Dodge online.

Huh, I had missed that. Depending upon cost that could be a real tipping point. I will look into that.

Originally Posted By: supton

+1

Huh, I had missed that. Depending upon cost that could be a real tipping point. I will look into that.

There are a few sellers online. One site wants $1460 for the lifetime powertrain plan with $100 ded. The all inclusive is $3260.

Last edited:
There are a few sellers online. One site wants $1460 for the lifetime powertrain plan with $100 ded. The all inclusive is $3260.

I got that impression, around $2k or so. Which isn't bad, although I'm guessing around 150k it would kick out, when a repair exceeds vehicle value. Guessing here. But still. I'd be on the hook for brakes and tires and I bet struts (all wear items), but a/c and heater leaks would be covered? Hmm.

Do have 12 months to buy at the lowest price, then I guess if I waited the price goes up a bit more. But most importantly, it doesn't have to be bought right off the bat. Pretty wild.

+1

Is that available for all Dodge vehicles? When I was buying my SRT, I was told by the dealer lifetime powertrain warranty was not an option.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

+1

Is that available for all Dodge vehicles? When I was buying my SRT, I was told by the dealer lifetime powertrain warranty was not an option.
No, it appears they are a bit selective.
https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm
Quote:
All Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge vehicles within 48 months of the in-service date and currently having less than 48,000 miles are eligible for Lifetime Maximum Care Plans, regardless of how many owners there may have been. Excluding Viper, Sprinter, diesel equipped, some high performance vehicles and all Ram Cab/Chassis vehicles as well as vehicles used for police service, taxi, limousine, postal delivery or ambulance service.

Oh--quoting that text I now see that second owners are covered? I'm going off the first website I came across, so I don't know if that is legit or not.

+1

+2. No brainer.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
If you're going new look no further:
https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sedona/2018

You can get some good deals ($4k off) and a decent powertrain warranty (100k) and not deal with FCA's "Quality".

What qualityconcern can you objectively assess and provide? The pentastar v6 seems like a decent design, and any vendor has “quality” challenges when they get too fancied up. Many vendors have slipped in quality due to infotainment warranty issues, for example.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

What qualityconcern can you objectively assess and provide? The pentastar v6 seems like a decent design, and any vendor has “quality” challenges when they get too fancied up. Many vendors have slipped in quality due to infotainment warranty issues, for example.

This says it all and gathered from 2015 MY vehicles:
2018016a.jpg

I'd rather roll the dice on Kia than Dodge.

Last edited:
Be wary on that price. I noticed a ton of * and disclaimers. I found that buying my VW website prices was missing all sorts of additional things. Sheer guess another $1000.

How long do you really need a minivan with your family? I would use that to dictate used or new. If used involves paying cash lots to be said there. I prefer lower priced used/some mileage as you don't feel like you have to own it forever to make up depreciation. I have grown tired of brand new cars for 9-12 years.

I went through the same thing when I was shopping for a minivan, but since my plan is to keep it at least 10 years, new made sense to us.
I'm very happy with my 15 GC so far. It did need a new navigation system (it was freezing) and front blower motor (made noises on long trips), all covered under warranty with no hassle.
I saved about $15k over a similarly equipped Sienna or Odyssey and for my family's needs it is more versatile then the Toyota or Honda.

What about 2 year old ones?

My grandma's 14' SXT was $16k in 2016 with 27k miles. 2 years should give good depreciation.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What about 2 year old ones?

My grandma's 14' SXT was $16k in 2016 with 27k miles. 2 years should give good depreciation.

There's some 1-3 year old ones around $16-17k. Probably were $26-27k new (well, for non-fleet anyhow). So big depreciation, but, I don't need SXT. Base models seem to be more rare. Plus then you get into warranty coverage--are you really saving on a per mile basis? If the plan was to buy and own for only 2 years, then cheapest to buy is probably best--but if one were to run into the ground, or for the most miles, then it tips the other way.

Unsure how long we will own/need. Kids are 11&13, the Great Dane hasn't materialized yet but we're hoping for that. And we still have our beagle. Running stuff to college, van could come in handy. But would we need one after that? Hard to say. Does seem like it's really only necessary for the next 5 years.

We do load the truck up on occasion for family events, so moving stuff is important to us. Every couple months it seems we use it for moving "lots" of stuff. Yeah a trailer would work with a sedan, but those have drawbacks too. Yeah renting a van could work too, I should go price out what each trip could cost (pick up Fri, return Mon, leave my car at the rental place?).

I broached the subject of not buying a minivan with the wife, and just use two cars if we run into space issues. She thought that'd get old in a hurry. That sort of thing would be happening every other or every month, and not just for 10 minute drives across town. Personally I'm rather open to that idea, could stick with simple I4 FWD cars (luddite alert!) but my wife does prefer me to do the driving when I can (bothers her neck).

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

This says it all and gathered from 2015 MY vehicles:
2018016a.jpg

I'd rather roll the dice on Kia than Dodge.

Fair enough, everyone has an opinion. Took a quick look, Kia runs about $26k to Dodge's $24k; and that's about the same if one loads up the Dodge with that lifetime warranty. At that point it's all about functionality, and it seems few fault how Dodge pulls off theirs.

Moving on: Dodge is 166, Lexus is 99. Less than 2x from best to Dodge(y). And even less from industry standard average of 142. Not quite a smoking gun. What's more surprising is that all cars have problems (99 out of 100 of the best will have a problem?). Methinks we need to find what the median is here and not the average. And how many were big vs small. Heck my 2011 Camry had a problem--the parking brake handle got loose. Had it tightened up during maintenance inside of warranty period. Egads has Toyota gone downhill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back