Caravan, new or used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13

Also, re: wife long driving neck pain: change sleeping pillow and mattress.
Also re-check adjustments of seat for her?
Maybe a massage from time to time? to relax those tight shoulders and neck.

Wife changes pillow every month--she has like three that she circulates through. Her neck seems better these days, but she does have spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the nerve canal. Means she is apt to lose feeling in her pinky finger, which is a problem when playing violin. Sitting still isn't something she likes. And IIRC she was told not to.

Quote:
Would a mazda5 fit the bill for a small mom-mobile in your area? should be enough space for mom, 2 kids and a beagle with third seat down.
Like that you get to keep your '97.

I recall looking into the 5's a while ago, and while small they suffer from being Mazda's (aka rustmobiles). I guess 5 and done changes the equation around a bit.

Needs to be family-mobile. 2 parents, 2 kids, beagle, great Dane, luggage. Add friends as necessary. Wife's Camry will work for when I'm not traveling with them.

Quote:
If not, I would still keep looking for a caravan/T&C and just adjust your expectations to 5 years/100k miles. If you get to more (10years/200k miles) is the cherry on top!

I guess. Seems an alien concept to me, buy new and only expect 5 years out of it.

No, I think I'm better off avoiding. 10c/m depreciation target has served me well in the past, might as well stick to my guns. This is after all just a temporary stage of life. Besides, traverse motors are a pain to work on.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

If you are going to talk engine preferences, when why not talk about the engines within their respective family. It isn't like the minivans are the only source for the engine/tranny combo.

Because applications matter. Take my 2007 Escape. The CD4E ATX was horrible for everyone with a V6. The CD4E is absolutely bulletproof when matched to the 2.0L or 2.3L. In other cars, the CD4E was also bulletproof.

You said you had a fleet of vans with the Pentastar 3.6 and the 6spd ATX since this thread is talking about those vans. I would have liked to known what problems you were seeing first hand since you were saying they were problematic. I thought you would have good insight specifically with this application. Turns out you dont and moved on to other platforms to paint a poor picture of a setup that you personally were not seeing problems with yourself despite having several.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Because applications matter. Take my 2007 Escape. The CD4E ATX was horrible for everyone with a V6. The CD4E is absolutely bulletproof when matched to the 2.0L or 2.3L. In other cars, the CD4E was also bulletproof.

Not everyone. Maintenance matters too. The wife got 160k out of her original CD4E in an 03 Escape V6 before it started occasionally slipping on WOT 2-3 (or 1-2) shifts. We did 30k fluid changes. Perhaps it was maintenance or luck.

The CD4E was never considered "bulletproof", cars or SUVs. I say that as a Ford guy.

Last edited:

If you are going to talk engine preferences, when why not talk about the engines within their respective family. It isn't like the minivans are the only source for the engine/tranny combo.

You missed the point. You changed the engine tranny combo. You can find the SAME Pentastar and TEXX transmissions in different offerings. The Caravan, Avenger, 200, Journey, 200/Sebring, etc (aka the JC/RC platforms) have had the same combo... it may not always be the same within the model (for example the I4 vs V6 trim difference) but you can follow developments with the TE40, TE41, and TE62 as well as the future Pentastar variants.

I won't say the TE family of transmissions are "bad" but they are not anywhere near "bulletproof". If you want a bad transmission, I will say the 4T65 from GM. That has a 75% failure rate before 100K in my fleet before we went with Fusions over Impalas. They are known to be a bit wonky and not completely smooth and prone to sensor failure. The can burn through a clutchpack towards the end of their life. I do live in a rather mountainous region so Tranny issues seem to bubble up more than in other areas.

You said you had a fleet of vans with the Pentastar 3.6 and the 6spd ATX since this thread is talking about those vans. I would have liked to known what problems you were seeing first hand since you were saying they were problematic. I thought you would have good insight specifically with this application. Turns out you dont and moved on to other platforms to paint a poor picture of a setup that you personally were not seeing problems with yourself despite having several.

I already did.... see the last page of this thread. Post #4822190 - 07/24/18 02:51 PM Re: Caravan, new or used [Re: badtlc]

We have had the 'common' an issue with a failed/defective solenoid pack repaired under warranty. Another issue was a bit more challenging. It was kicking us into a limp home mode and often giving us an issue with a speed sensor. However, it would also have an intermittent issue with shuddering. It took our dealer and they "played with it" the corrected the sensors issue but something just isn't right with that van as it is prone to be a bit more lethargic about shifting (up/down). I think there is either something flawed within that slushbox or it was a botched repair.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
How would Honda, Toyota or a Kia minivan fare in fleet use? I believe Overkill posted his Toyota Sienna rental experience and it did not fare too well with interior wear and tear.

Our friends sienna isn't that great, they've had. A number of issues making me glad that we went Honda.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: The Critic
There are a few sellers online. One site wants $1460 for the lifetime powertrain plan with $100 ded. The all inclusive is $3260.

I got that impression, around $2k or so. Which isn't bad, although I'm guessing around 150k it would kick out, when a repair exceeds vehicle value. Guessing here. But still. I'd be on the hook for brakes and tires and I bet struts (all wear items), but a/c and heater leaks would be covered? Hmm.

Do have 12 months to buy at the lowest price, then I guess if I waited the price goes up a bit more. But most importantly, it doesn't have to be bought right off the bat. Pretty wild.
I would be surprised if repair cost exceeded vehicle value before 200k. Also to my knowledge the vehicle will still be repaired under warranty at the point that the cost exceeds the value, but that will be the last warranty repair. You mentioned back up camera, I believe that of a couple months ago it is now federally mandated that all new cars will have back up cameras. As a tech at a CDJR dealer, I would not buy a vehicle without the lifetime warranty unless I wasn't going to keep it past the factory warranty. It is amazing how long these vehicles can run without any major repairs, but when they do break it tends to be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back