car won't upshift during hard acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
the car is a 2000 ford focus 2.0L SPI. under hard acceleration the transmission will not upshift unless I let off the throttle. it will literally just keep revving past the redline. i'm guessing the problem is the transmission is not getting the signal from the car to shift. i don't know what would cause this though. any help?
confused.gif

Is this 1-2 or 2-3 shift as well?
If you put it in manual 1 will it upshift there?
It more than likely is getting the signal, but something inside is preventing a timely shift. Another possibility is it is shifting, but is slipping too bad to catch the engine.

it happens during every shift while accelerating. it also happens if i am already traveling at speed and downshift into another gear.

so are you basically saying my transmission is going out? if that is the case i'll just continue to drive the car without fixing it, it's not worth enough to worry about it.

This is left-field goofy, but I've heard good things about changing the PRNDL range sensor switch. It's a potentiometer that tends to get scratchy.

IDK why this would only kick in at WOT though. There's a scantool that reads what gear the computer thinks the trans is in, but gaining access to it is probably as expensive as simply changing the switch.
01.gif

Our Jeep did this on the last transmission for some reason. I don't think it was adjusted properly or something, but you quickly learned to pump the throttle at redline so it would shift.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
You dont have any codes?

no codes

Originally Posted By: eljefino
This is left-field goofy, but I've heard good things about changing the PRNDL range sensor switch. It's a potentiometer that tends to get scratchy.

IDK why this would only kick in at WOT though. There's a scantool that reads what gear the computer thinks the trans is in, but gaining access to it is probably as expensive as simply changing the switch.
01.gif

do you know where this switch would be located?

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
You dont have any codes?

no codes

Originally Posted By: eljefino

01.gif

do you know where this switch would be located?

Usually on the trans: great idea, sees lots of corrosion there. Look near where the shifter cable linkage meets it. Will be a source of/ destination for about half a dozen wires: makes the reverse lights and starter interlock work too.

So you basically just foot shift it then.....
grin.gif
Seriously though, does it have some sort of detent/tv cable that can be adjusted? or is it 100% electronic?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back