Car stranded me on the highway today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
What's a mutual fund and how does it work?

A mutual fund is a way to invest in the stock market without buying individual stocks. For instance the Vanguard Index 500 buys shares of stocks listed in the S&P 500. Over the last 10 years, it's returned an average of 6.5%. Over the last 5 years, it's been 13.85%. Over the life of the fund since 1976, it's returned an average of 10.98%. Minimum investment in this fund is $3000, but there are other funds that have lower minimum investments. So if you spend $3000 buying shares of this fund, if it goes up 10% after a year, you'll have $3300 worth of shares in your account. At one point I was putting in $2k every year in an IRA so after about 7 years, instead of 14k, the account was worth 40k because the market took off in those years. Then there was a crash, but the account was still worth about 25k afterwards.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundIntExt=INT&FundId=0040#tab=1

Drive the Malibu till it's no longer drivable. I don't believe in garage queens,why stare at it when you can drive it and enjoy it. Life's short and and we can't take our cars with us. Drive that thing,don't keep it mint for the next owner!!

My 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6 is a garage queen with 53K on the clock, still runs and looks brand new, only driven occasionally on the weekends, yeah it's nothing special, my DD is an 83 Chevy Silverado and the wife has a 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI that we go everywhere in
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
My 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6 is a garage queen with 53K on the clock, still runs and looks brand new, only driven occasionally on the weekends, yeah it's nothing special, my DD is an 83 Chevy Silverado and the wife has a 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI that we go everywhere in
cheers3.gif

i love the 3.6, very powerful and a amazing cruising machine.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I still can't understand for even a second why you have er car when you have a 2015 Malibu. You've posted before how many miles you do in a year, it isn't much.

I'd rather not be stranded on the side of the highway.

LOL. This.

You're dealing with the hassle of beater to keep the miles low on a 4 banger rental-grade Malibu?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I still can't understand for even a second why you have er car when you have a 2015 Malibu. You've posted before how many miles you do in a year, it isn't much.

I'd rather not be stranded on the side of the highway.

I got confused after the 'going to the bank to open a CD' part. People still do that? What are they paying these days? Maybe turn $1000 into $1030 in three years?

LOL!

This thread is full of fail. So much fail. Unbearable amounts of fail.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Spending $150 and having something to show for it (new parts), doesn't sound bad to me. It could cost $100 just to have it towed, then a mechanic's fee for diagnosing the problem, Then parts with the mech's markup added to the bill, That could cost you well over $150 with no problem.,,

Thats what I was thinking too!

You've got the right idea here.

I suppose whatever rotates your ratchet is fine by all of us, but for goodness sake! Send that toad Taurus down the road. When your new Malibu wears out you can always buy another new one. You only live once and life is too short to be driving a 2003 Taurus. Trust me, I USED to have one.

Think you guys are a little too common sense here with this....you're talking to a car guy in training (loves his malibu), and that's okay. No reason needed when it becomes your hobby and brings you joy. We all have to find our fun stuff too....
cool.gif

I might be a but older and wiser and good with money, but I also have a 15k mile chevy Cavalier in my garage with dreams from the F&F days that didn't happen.(car is still stock-life happened) Doesn't mean that I won't throw a few bucks into a maybe 1800 dollar car to make it quite fun to drive.
wink.gif

I'm a car guy too......so maybe I just understand. That, and I'd think i would run a fleet of cars if I could.....

Gabriel, glad you got your problem solved.

I drive my Roadmaster wagon everyday, and I have a '15 Cruze sitting in the yard with just under 7K miles on it. Is it logical? No. Most things we do in life aren't logical, such as fall in love, have kids, renovate a perfectly functional bathroom....but those things get done anyway, and cost much more than $150 to do.

If you enjoy the Taurus, good for you. Enjoy it and do what suits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back