Man buys Building to Evict Car Dealer!

This happened years ago, in my old home town. Old hermit went to buy a car. Dealer told him that he could not afford a car. The old boy went to the bank and bought the building, then evicted the Dealer! Here is the old boy standing outside after he bought it.:)

1699979962745.jpg

In banking, car dealerships, and jewelry stores, good salespeople understand not to “judge a book by its cover”. You never know who has money.

But that judgement happens often.

Just happened to me last week.

Dressed quite casually, I walked into a local jewelry store, where my wife and I had been good customers, including getting some pieces made, buying some, and having repairs done. I was looking for a watch, and I could not get anyone of the six sales people who are on the floor at the time to look away from their computer or their phone. I noted the time and date and contacted the owner of the store.

He was very apologetic, and has offered me a store credit, along with the promise that his employees will be retrained.

I’m not quite in a position to pay cash for his building, but I could have paid cash for every one of the watches they had on display. I’m not sure I’ll take him up on the store credit, but I do appreciate the apology.

In banking, car dealerships, and jewelry stores, good salespeople understand not to “judge a book by its cover”. You never know who has money.

But that judgement happens often.

Just happened to me last week.

Dressed quite casually, I walked into a local jewelry store, where my wife and I had been good customers, including getting some pieces made, buying some, and having repairs done. I was looking for a watch, and I could not get anyone of the six sales people who are on the floor at the time to look away from their computer or their phone. I noted the time and date and contacted the owner of the store.

He was very apologetic, and has offered me a store credit, along with the promise that his employees will be retrained.

I’m not quite in a position to pay cash for his building, but I could have paid cash for every one of the watches they had on display. I’m not sure I’ll take him up on the store credit, but I do appreciate the apology.
Did you ask for help? Good customer service means you shouldn't have to, but I'm curious. Sadly the retraining I'm sure will change nothing unless there is enforcement with his employees.

Reminds me of women trying to buy a car and being ignored by the salespeople.
Checkered Flag Toyota in Virginia Beach. Made that exact mistake several years ago.

The buyer was my mother-in-law. My wife, at the time a Navy Captain, and Chief of Staff of a Navy-wide Task Force, was the decision-maker. I was merely the driver of the car shuttling the principals from dealership to dealership.

But the salesman kept directing the questions, and attention, to me.

Big mistake.

When the Captain had had enough, the manager was called, and the Captain dressed him down, gently, but publicly, in front of his staff, and we walked out. We bought the car, that day, at Charles Barker (now Hall) Toyota, a few miles away.

She had me send a picture of her mom, and the new car that was bought at their competitor, to Checkered Flag just to be certain that they knew she was serious, and they truly had lost the sale.

You never know who has the money, who is calling the shots, or exactly who you are dealing with. Smart salespeople know this. The ones who don’t - lose the sale.

Did you ask for help? Good customer service means you shouldn't have to, but I'm curious. Sadly the retraining I'm sure will change nothing unless there is enforcement with his employees.
I did ask for help. “Excuse me” was said a couple of times. As I stood in front of the Rolex display.

I was interested in a watch of similar price, not a Rolex, per se, but hey, whatever TikTok video was engrossing them was clearly more important than the guy in a flannel shirt and jeans.

A guy who was in my high school class now owns a excavation and demolition company. He wears grubby clothes all of the time. He's a 'hands-on' type of business owner, and it is impossible to him to be neat and tidy (he never really was). He doesn't go from job to job in a King Ranch Super Duty. He's on the job site, working alongside his guys.

He went into a local dealer to buy three new 3/4 ton trucks... and you can guess how it ended.

Reminds me of women trying to buy a car and being ignored by the salespeople.
My wife did her due diligence { she looked for just the right one } on a one owner car she was interested in back in February. She contacted the dealership, set up an appointment for the next day. We drove 2 hours to the dealership, she met with the salesperson, worked out a deal, she wrote the check, then she drove the car home. { She’s a pit bull dressed up as a poodle } ! I hate to deal with sales people, she seems to relish it. Pics are from a day trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway last week.

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpeg
    IMG_2281.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2280.jpeg
    IMG_2280.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 46
Mrs DuckRyder got ignored at a Harley dealer once then talked down to. She quite literally had $25,000.00 in her pocket, all they had to do was treat her with respect and tell her when they could have the bike she wanted.

She bought it elsewhere and the Dealer Principal was notified...

I like stories even remotely akin to these.
Vote with your feet, is one expression which comes to mind.

What's in the building in post #1 now?
Think they tore it down and built a new Community Center there. Not sure as I no longer live there.

Years back I was shopping for a new truck. Had stopped in to a chevy dealer closest to my shop and spoke with some sales woman about what I wanted. She said she'd get back to me in a couple of days. I was totally cool with that. Anyway, two days later, I was helping a friend after work in my shop. We were installing a ZZ4 and a Tremec 5 speed into a 1991 Camaro and needed the ball thing for the clutch that threaded into the bellhousing. I called the same dealer, asked for parts. He had it. I asked how long til you close? He says thirty minutes. I was in there in fifteen. Said Hi, I'm here for that clutch pivot. He says sorry, I just shut down the computer. Can't sell it to you. I said I have cash. I NEED that part. He replies sorry, can't help you. As I was walking out, the sales woman spots me and says I found your truck. I said go ask your parts manager why I won't be buying it here.
By the time I got back to my shop I had already secured the part from a local parts place. I get back and my dad says the chevy dealer is on the phone. Come back and they'll give you the pivot ball. I went under the car, installed the clutch, bellhousing and trans and bought a Yukon somewhere else.

In retail you learn quick - state of dress is not a deciding factor in who is a potential client.

The owner of my company is a 9 figure guy but routinely dresses like his 20 year worn out company shirt cant be replaced.

Every customer is important.

Every... Single... One...

This morning I had a young fellow and his mom come by to look at a truck we got as a trade-in. The young man was 17 and the mom barely spoke any English.

I spoke to her in Spanish and answered the fellow's questions in English along with showing how everything worked on the truck. I treated him no different from anyone else. Kindness and mutual respect go a long way in any business.

At the end of the day he was too young to sign a contract (17), the mom didn't have a driver's license, and they will require the help of an aunt to get the deal done. The truck? That actually came from a customer who bought a Ford Taurus earlier in the year. When he had trouble with the Taurus a few months later, I bolted from the dealership with a scanner on the ready. I don't remember if it was a loose battery cable or a coil pack, but I got it to where it needed to be and made his life easy.

Long story short, he traded in one truck for $500 and last week called me to see if I would buy the other for $300. Super nice guy. Has more money than he needs, Like everyone else, he just wants to be treated like someone important in that moment of need.

Good story!

How does one walk into the bank and buy a building? Was it common for banks to own rental properties?
I really have no idea, I was a kid at the time. The old man lived just across a bridge over a creek on the edge of town, just outside of city limits in a run down old house. I had a friend that lived on the last block in town. We saw him walking past many times.

One day we were riding bikes and stopped out on the bridge by his house.
He came out with a shotgun and told us to "get". We Got! :)

Back