Car Seat Install: LATCH vs. Seat Belt?

As shown in the pictures:

The rear seat bottom is a 60/40 split due to the underseat storage. The LATCH anchors for the center position is on the "60 side." As a result, when the infant seat is installed into the center position, the seat intrudes into the seating area for one of the outboard seats.

One potential solution is to skip the LATCH anchors altogether and to just use the seatbelt. This may allow me to better center the car seat on the rear bench and allow for two normal sized adults to sit on each side of the car seat.

However, a number of folks have warned me against this idea because the LATCH anchors are "safer." Not sure why? I appreciate any thoughts on this situation.

76000D6F-AB5E-445D-8C52-E03448B8131F.jpeg

79FB6EAC-B9CD-41FA-A968-10C5161C6FE4.jpeg

Some seats dont cinch the belt well. And sometimes people dont lock the belt correctly, or double lock it.

We have a number of Britax seats, which self-lock on the seatbelt. They are super convenient and work really well. Much easier than using Latch. Other seats dont have as good a way to lock in the belt, and then LATCH may be better. Im not sure that LATCH is intrinsically safer, seatbelts do hold morbidly obese people in their seats when cars get into accidents and flip... An infant in a carrier is no problem strength-wise. User error is a different consideration. I think most everyone I know has done something wrong with install at some point...

I like the anchors if the car is compatible. I have used the lap belt with success (no accidents to test this but shaking the car seat shook the entire car). I never used a shoulder belt with a car seat like pictured.

If installed correctly, per the seats installation requirements, using the seat belt is fine. The major problem is that a majority of installs aren't done correctly - leading to the latch system that takes out a good chunk of the guessing.

We installed car seats in vehicles with no latch provisions and had them checked at a local PD that offered the service. The message there was the install was as good if not better than many achieved with the latch systems.

If your seat allows it, I'd try it and get a feel for how secure you can make it versus the latch setup. It may actually be better..

The belts have retractors that allow movement.

Not when the seat is shut down onto the seat belt. You have to leave slack in that case, or else you won't be able to latch the seat down. I find these to be just as good as with the built-in latches. In fact, the tighteners for the latches are sometimes hard to max out, leaving a lot of wiggle room with the latches.

I guess if you want the seat to protect your child "as designed". I wouldn't bypass the manufacturers instructions.
Why can't you mount the seat correctly in one of the outboard seats instead of the center?

The latch anchors are solid. The belts have retractors that allow movement.
Not if you install them correctly. The seats may require the belt to be retracted, or locked with a metal buckle, or the seat clamps it by itself.

I personally love the Britax system.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 4.14.00 PM.jpg

It is so easy and so tight, never an issue. Love it because I switch seats between cars when I drive multiple.

But that's not what the OP has. Ideally, OP needs to see which gives a tighter, more consistent fit. Ive used both. Some seats have great latch connectors that are easy to tighten down, while others have latch connectors that are as hard as anything else.

And it can take an adult sitting in an infant seat almost, pressing it down and in, to get a tight install with everything cinched tight....

I guess if you want the seat to protect your child "as designed". I wouldn't bypass the manufacturers instructions.
Why can't you mount the seat correctly in one of the outboard seats instead of the center?
Center is safest. Has mostly to do with side impact - statistically center is furthest away from entry. On a rear facing seat, its designed to close the child in tight against the seatback shielding the child in all directions.

Dodge was good enough to provide three latch sets in OP's truck. Good on them! Our VW had only two sets and wouldnt you know, we used one from each side and failed the audit... We hadnt read the owner's manual's (clear) instruction...

If installed correctly, per the seats installation requirements, using the seat belt is fine. The major problem is that a majority of installs aren't done correctly - leading to the latch system that takes out a good chunk of the guessing.

We installed car seats in vehicles with no latch provisions and had them checked at a local PD that offered the service. The message there was the install was as good if not better than many achieved with the latch systems.

If your seat allows it, I'd try it and get a feel for how secure you can make it versus the latch setup. It may actually be better..

Agree. We failed our first time. Reading the manuals is important foe the seat and vehicle combo... Agree also that with a good seatbelt cinching system built in the seat, it can be an excellent install.

And if the manufacturers allow for either installation, how are they bypassing the manufacturers instructions?

And as was mentioned, with the belt install, it sometimes took a good amount of force to get it all installed correctly. I literally put nearly all my weight on the seat to get it snugged into the seat with the belt method.

And if the manufacturers allow for either installation, how are they bypassing the manufacturers instructions?

And as was mentioned, with the belt install, it sometimes took a good amount of force to get it all installed correctly. I literally put nearly all my weight on the seat to get it snugged into the seat with the belt method.
Then do the way you choose best fits your needs. Just saying, the safer way is using the latch system.

Not when the seat is shut down onto the seat belt. You have to leave slack in that case, or else you won't be able to latch the seat down. I find these to be just as good as with the built-in latches. In fact, the tighteners for the latches are sometimes hard to max out, leaving a lot of wiggle room with the latches.
Once the seat is in place & the latches are hooked to the car, I place 1 knee in the seat & use my body weight to press the carseat in to the car & then pull on the tightening straps. I'm 6'2 & could do this with a bulky Recaro childseat in the back in my E46 coupe with ease

Once the seat is in place & the latches are hooked to the car, I place 1 knee in the seat & use my body weight to press the carseat in to the car & then pull on the tightening straps. I'm 6'2 & could do this with a bulky Recaro childseat in the back in my E46 coupe with ease

I do the same thing with my 6'0" 330# body. The adjuster just doesn't allow for it to lock SUPER tight. It's safe, of course, but still a little wiggly.

That's exactly what I used to do for my kids. You could shake the entire vehicle, the seat was so tight. They weren't going anywhere.

It’s my understanding that LATCH is only “safest” because it’s the least messed up installation, it makes it more dummy proof.

My kids are big and I had to switch to seat belt install due to weight earlier on than normal.

I used latch for my infant seats because I could really get them cinched down tight with the britax base and carrier systems.

I used seat belt style install when they got out of the infant carriers because I could achieve less movement in the seats.

I had to switch to seatbelt install when they got bigger in their front facing car seats as well as getting to upright boosters because their height and weights.

There are some very informative child safety seat Facebook groups with certified installers.

Belt is fine if seat does not move with jerking and jostling to it. If it moves or loosens then latch or skip the center.

We never used center for our three kids as it would have been a serious hassle and also when/if you have another they end up in outboard seat.

I found I could usually get the seat tighter using the seat belts and my knee on the seat, as there were more grab points on the seat belt. Also when switching to G&G's cars, I could install the seat faster with belts than looking for latch loops and adjusting the latch strap, as ours was always a PITA to release to lengthen it...

Back