Car Seat Install: LATCH vs. Seat Belt?

Just saying, the safer way is using the latch system.
If I had to guess, every manufacturer instruction probably says something like "Use the LATCH system if available. If not available, use the vehicle's seat belt."

We always used the LATCH option unless it was temporary, i.e. using someone else's car, grandparents took the kids, etc.

LATCH is always superior. When I worked at the dealership, I saw so many improperly installed child seats. to use a seat belt properly with a child seat, you have to ensure the belt is in full lock and snug. I showed customers how to use LATCH.

LATCH anchors are right into the body or the seat frame that’s anchored to the floor. It’s a foolproof system. I think part of the FMVSS/DOT/CPSC testing spec for child seats is that it must allow for seat belt and LATCH mounting. No such thing as LATCH on an airplane.

The seatbelt mounting will work - just make sure the tensioner is at full lock and let the slack wind in. The pretensioners are still active but shouldn’t matter.

So the due date is coming soon huh? Congrats.

The safest way IMO is to do both the anchor "latch" and the seat belt combo, you know this means at least double the strength for sure. The biggest safety concern you should have is likely how well the basket click to the base on the infant seat, and how snug the 5 point harness is instead of being loose and comfy. Keep the infant basket carrier seat in the middle of the car will reduce side impact damage better than on either left or right side main seat, I would do that over debating the use of latch or seatbelt.

Maybe it is just me but it doesn't look quite "intruded" into the seating area at all from the center.

Make sure seat sits properly. Sometimes you have to role towel or blanket to make seat sit right.
I found anchors to be sturdiest, but I would say it depends on seat manufacturer.
Allow one inch movement at most!
And I cannot emphasize this enough: get good quality seat! All are approved, but trust me, there is huge difference in comfort and with that fussiness!
Stick to Chico, Britax etc. Use Graco only as around the town option in another vehicle. Unfortunately Recaro pulled out of the US market. They had best seats IMO. My kids would do 800-900 miles a day in it. Put them in Graco and game over.

Make sure seat sits properly. Sometimes you have to role towel or blanket to make seat sit right.
I found anchors to be sturdiest, but I would say it depends on seat manufacturer.
Allow one inch movement at most!
And I cannot emphasize this enough: get good quality seat! All are approved, but trust me, there is huge difference in comfort and with that fussiness!
Stick to Chico, Britax etc. Use Graco only as around the town option in another vehicle. Unfortunately Recaro pulled out of the US market. They had best seats IMO. My kids would do 800-900 miles a day in it. Put them in Graco and game over.

I like Chico's infant basket seat a lot, along with the caddy system that you can just bring a small light stroller with you. Graco's usually made out of heavy steel and their "system" are not easy to use and weight a ton, but Graco's front facing back supporting boosters are designed well. IMO Britax is only good if you want those extra side protection and you never wants to remove the seat ever. They are heavy but they seems to be overbuild and not user friendly. Yes, I buy a lot of used car seats (I check them thoroughly and I usually buy the best used seat in each category after a lot of research on what works for me), and I would never build those one size from infant to booster, they all have too much compromise if buying that way.

Also don't forget how easy it is to clean the seat. They will need to be cleaned because babies have accidents. I loved my Safety 1st but they were pain in the butt to take apart and clean.

I found I could usually get the seat tighter using the seat belts and my knee on the seat, as there were more grab points on the seat belt. Also when switching to G&G's cars, I could install the seat faster with belts than looking for latch loops and adjusting the latch strap, as ours was always a PITA to release to lengthen it...
Yes, the latch straps are very difficult to adjust. Went through this two days ago.

I like Chico's infant basket seat a lot, along with the caddy system that you can just bring a small light stroller with you. Graco's usually made out of heavy steel and their "system" are not easy to use and weight a ton, but Graco's front facing back supporting boosters are designed well. IMO Britax is only good if you want those extra side protection and you never wants to remove the seat ever. They are heavy but they seems to be overbuild and not user friendly. Yes, I buy a lot of used car seats (I check them thoroughly and I usually buy the best used seat in each category after a lot of research on what works for me), and I would never build those one size from infant to booster, they all have too much compromise if buying that way.

Also don't forget how easy it is to clean the seat. They will need to be cleaned because babies have accidents. I loved my Safety 1st but they were pain in the butt to take apart and clean.
I have seats in each car plus in in laws car here and Vegas. IMO Graco is a ok, a mediocre option comfort wise.
Best seat I ever had was Recaro that I still use in Sienna bcs. that is our road trip car. Big, heavy, but kids sleep in it like crazy.

Seat belt will work good if you kneel hard and put all your weight on baby seat and then tighten. If done right it will be very solid. Only downfall, is it presses hard on seat cushion, and can deform it over time

Latch anchors are NOT safer than seat belts. They're not any LESS safe, either. A car seat properly strapped down with a seat belt is AS safe as a seat properly strapped down with LATCH. Key words being "properly strapped down." The one and ONLY advantage of LATCH is it's easier to install the seat and get it tight. That's all. Think about it: what is the LATCH strap made of? A nylon webbed strap that looks REALLY similar to a...seat belt. What is the purpose of the LATCH strap, and what is the purpose of using a seat belt on the baby seat? (Hint: the answer is the same) It's to keep the baby seat secured to the vehicle's seat so it doesn't flop around, or worse, fly around the vehicle or eject from the vehicle in a crash. If a seat belt is capable of keeping a fully grown adult that weighs 200 lbs, 300 lbs, even 400 lbs in the seat, it can surely keep a baby and a baby seat held tightly to the vehicle seat.

I have 3 kids and I've installed baby seats in every vehicle in my signature below, except the Bronco. I've also installed seats in my in-law's cars, as well as two vehicles I no longer own. I've dealt with LATCH anchors and almost every type of seat belt. Almost any type/configuration of seat belt can hold a child seat securely and safe. Some seat belts have a self-locking ratcheting mechanism that will keep the seat tight. If your seat belts don't have that, you'll need to buy a locking clip like this:
71mR9IzSE7L._SL1500_.jpg

Those are the most difficult to install, but once it's installed, it's every bit as safe as using LATCH. Whichever method you use, make sure the seat can't wiggle more than an inch side-to-side at the front of the child seat (the end where the strap/seat belt is).

Back