Car running fine on 8 year old gas.

Bought this '05 New Jetta back in 2012 and soon parked it since the transmission was acting up. Probably needs a valve body. With car prices what they are, I figure now is the time to get it done and maybe I can at least break even on it. I see I filled it up December 27, 2012 and it has 3/4 of a tank. Been driving it around since yesterday and cant tell there is any problem with the gas, as so many posts here would suggest.

8 years! WOW.

There is a youtube video buy a guy named Terryl Dactyl or something like that. He as at the end of a 18 month long test with 10 different small engines and different gasoline additives including none at all. Gell showed up in the bowel of the ones that did not start. these are vented tanks not sealed so it s worse case then yours.

There's hope for our Honda in Florida that's been parked since March 2020 :ROFLMAO: .

The mold is another story; any tips @atikovi ?
Mold on interior "leather" is a job or Magic Eraser. it is truely like magic. I use it for my boat seats and it cleans deep into the texture of the seats. I do a quick spray with tilex first to make it work faster but plain water works fine too just takes more scrubbing.

Don't scrub too hard since this pad is a little abrasive. I also wear nitrile gloves because they irritate the thin skin around my finger nails.

Mold on interior "leather" is a job or Magic Eraser. it is truely like magic. I use it for my boat seats and it cleans deep into the texture of the seats. I do a quick spray with tilex first to make it work faster but plain water works fine too just takes more scrubbing.

Don't scrub too hard since this pad is a little abrasive. I also wear nitrile gloves because they irritate the thin skin around my finger nails.
Thanks for the tip; the Honda interior is predominantly fabric.

Back in 2019 @atikovi suggested a battery maintainer but I could only disconnect the battery at that time. However, I did add just over 3oz. of TWC-3 to the tank with REC fuel.

How bad does it smell? I would have drained or siphoned most of it and slowly (1 gallon at a time, maybe) mixed it with fresh gas in another vehicle. It’s never happened to me, but old gas can make valves stick.

How bad does it smell? I would have drained or siphoned most of it and slowly (1 gallon at a time, maybe) mixed it with fresh gas in another vehicle. It’s never happened to me, but old gas can make valves stick.
Didn't stick my nose in the tank so can't tell. Most modern cars don't have drain valves and it's almost impossible siphon fuel out with the rollover valve. Or at least you would get the siphon hose back out.

Glad it hasn’t trashed your fuel system. A family member’s 98’ S10 is sitting, 5 year old gas trashed everything. Will barely even run.

I managed to drive the MG on the gas that was in it when it had been parked 18 years earlier. I can't say it ran really well, but it started and I could drive it before I rebuilt the carb.

9 years obliterated the fuel system in a pulsar we bought for …. Nothing? and then put back on the road. It was carbuerated engine. Tank had to be removed and cleaned, carb fully rebuilt. fuel smelled like paint, not gas.

fuel injection is pretty forgiving and the engine can accommodate for a decrease in octane without knocking via the knock sensor and alter the ignition timing to a certain extent.

Haha this reminds me of a time I drained an old K30 Chevy truck that had one of the tanks go bad. No idea how old the fuel was but when we drained it, I swear is was wood varnish. I added to a half tank of gas that was in the 2001 Corolla and it ran... I had to keep giving it gas at every light and stop sign to keep it from stalling. Probably not a recommended best practice but it got me a few miles...

Back