Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to Get Good Car Repair Advice

Automotive Forums

Another source of information many people use on the internet are automotive forums. There are hundreds of forums dedicated to specific vehicle makes and models as well as more general automotive forums. Forums contain a wealth of information, but also a lot of misinformation and conflicting information.

The typical forum user will post a question in hopes that other forum users will respond and offer an answer or advice on how to solve the problem. But with all forums, there is no guarantee that anyone will respond or that any responses they do receive will be accurate or helpful. It all depends on the other forum members and who posts a response. Many forum users are quite knowledgeable and can provide exactly the kind of answer you are looking for. Other forum users want to be helpful and may venture a guess or offer an opinion that may or may not be accurate or may be totally wrong. In other words, it may be hard to distinguish good advice from bad advice.

Most forums are moderated to delete spam, rants and off-topic posts and comments that don't belong on the forum. But in most instances, the accuracy of the posts and responses is left up to the forum users. There's no editing or vetting or review of the comments that are posted. Consequently, if inaccurate or incorrect responses are posted to a question, other more knowledgeable users may or may not challenge a post or offer additional information.

We've seen many forum responses degenerate into endless bickering between conflicting points of view. We've also seen a lot of posts that totally contradict one another. There's nothing wrong with a good debate provided the people involved know what they are talking about. But unless there is some resolution to the debate, or some serious fact checking involved, the person who posted the original question may be left confused and no closer to finding an answer than when they started.

Yes it is cut and past from my personal files. I have posted this many times over the years on several forums under several different user names.
Today seemed like a good time to start a thread on the subject.

EDIT: I did find where I originally got part of an already posted informational:
Here you go:

Car Repair Advice​

by Larry Carley
It is not copyright protected only implied that it is.

Last edited:
Automotive Forums

Another source of information many people use on the internet are automotive forums. There are hundreds of forums dedicated to specific vehicle makes and models as well as more general automotive forums. Forums contain a wealth of information, but also a lot of misinformation and conflicting information.
Umm, was this written for people who just woke up from a 20 year coma?

Have you ever had a different username on here before?
Not sure how this applies to my topic and thread? Is there something wrong with my participation that bothers you? However to answer you question NOPE ! And that has been asked before. The moderator can freely check my IP. As I answered on another thread regarding the exact question , I found this forum while trying to found a good resource of empirical Data and information regarding motor oils.

Is this really news to anyone? Anyone who has been around the internet knows this.

There are a lot of qualified mechanics, or former mechanics on this board.

If you have a problem with the thread I started please feel free "report" it.
Other wise.
You are assuming that every members reads every thread on forums they join? At times things that are repeated or simply old topic brought up are often brand new to member that are not as old a member as you!
You do realize that this forum is not yours right? And that the interest of the owner(s) is to make some income to continue its existence which is from more new members joining and participating?

BTW mechanic's are "OLD SCHOOL" and to work on most vehicles successfully you either need to be a factory trained Technicians or a specialize Automotive Technician.

Your cautionary post applies to all forums, including this one.
Yes very much so. After participating in a few threads to help members and reading responses that members are just pulling information directly from the internet and rewriting in their words with no direct real world experience (not DIY but professional) I thought it was time me to start this thread for perhaps some member's mainly newer member's to consider when getting advise on this forum. And yes this even include what I post. I will say that I NEVER recomend anything that I have not personally tried ,tested had analyzed of can sight empirical Data to support my responses. And if I post it I **** sure will likely have pictures to go along with my information. Can't say that this seems to be very common practice here that I have read so far with some members having very high response counts. Time may prove different?

Not sure how this applies to my topic and thread? Is there something wrong with my participation that bothers you? However to answer you question NOPE ! And that has been asked before. The moderator can freely check my IP. As I answered on another thread regarding the exact question , I found this forum while trying to found a good resource of empirical Data and information regarding motor oils.

This does sound familiar.

You’re very confrontational when people call you out on your wonky posts. Why is that? Ignore what you don’t like and move on with your life or stop posting. Your choice
That's your personal opinion. Really if my posting style bother you don't respond or read them. So you are like those that censor people because they don't like what they say. I don't feel I am confrontational which is really an opinion unless you are a physiatrist by profession or think you know all about me personally. In most every case I respond a member like your self has some negative to say. Perhaps maybe you should take your own advise? I will say every member that has less then a friendly response to me response I look into their past responses on this forum like yours just to see what they are like how the respond to other members and what they actually say. And yup I did look into yours.

Its funny one big thing that seems to be lacking in this forum or I can't find a designated thread specifically that people if they want post what they do or did for a living?
As a couple have pointed out I am really bad at my writing skills , so what do I really know. ;)
lol

This does sound familiar.
PimTac....
well IMHO you are one of the best at finding information on the internet ;) I really don't hide like a few key board warriors and often freely give out my number and other contact information to member I like or need one on one help better served by a better media the Q&A on a PM or forum thread.

If you have a problem with the thread I started please feel free "report" it.
Other wise.
You are assuming that every members reads every thread on forums they join? At times things that are repeated or simply old topic brought up are often brand new to member that are not as old a member as you!
You do realize that this forum is not yours right? And that the interest of the owner(s) is to make some income to continue its existence which is from more new members joining and participating?

BTW mechanic's are "OLD SCHOOL" and to work on most vehicles successfully you either need to be a factory trained Technicians or a specialize Automotive Technician.

Chill buddy. My comment was just an observation. Not a personal criticism.

You've been here a couple of weeks, so you may not know that there are a lot of qualified mechanics, or former mechanics, on THIS board. I agree, there is a lot of misinformation posted all over the 'net. Blatant misinformation posted here is usually corrected in short order.

Signed, a former ASE Master Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back