Car plunges 250 ft off Devils Slide off Pacific Coast Hwy

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...issues need to be dealt with..."
* no $ for that,
* low priority,
* stigma attached
etc. All unfortunate as national policy and resources are needed for much, much more than just this one, one's like it. I see anger - usual way males express depression (w/the other signs'n symptoms) all over the place. Was that it seen on Jan 6th? May B for some, feeling a loss of sense of control?

A lot of cars protect their occupants from death in accidents that they shouldn’t survive.
It is safe car, no doubt, like all cars on the market today.
Agreed, modern cars are the safest ever made; this crash is on another level.
Using the words "Tesla" or "Musk" gets attention; it sensationalizes otherwise the more mundane...
If anything, this crash and the survivors is the best advertising for safety Tesla could ask for.

"...issues need to be dealt with..."
* no $ for that,
* low priority,
* stigma attached
etc. All unfortunate as national policy and resources are needed for much, much more than just this one, one's like it. I see anger - usual way males express depression (w/the other signs'n symptoms) all over the place. Was that it seen on Jan 6th? May B for some, feeling a loss of sense of control?
I'm sorry.........what?

If they have brought charges this soon, I'm sure he admitted it or got testimony from the wife and kids. Mental issues need to be dealt with so this doesn't happen. Looks like the guy was a medical doctor.
More will come out. Who knows what evidence they have? But I can tell you, Cal Fire is an incredible group, highly skilled and recognized as such.
We do know he has been arrested. And we do know they are lucky to be alive; unfortunately whatever the outcome these people are scarred for life. Heck, I still shakie thinking about it.

Agreed, modern cars are the safest ever made; this crash is on another level.
Using the words "Tesla" or "Musk" gets attention; it sensationalizes otherwise the more mundane...
If anything, this crash and the survivors is the best advertising for safety Tesla could ask for.
Well, it was about time for people to survive something Tesla was involved in.

Yep, you said it yourself. Had they been in an Escalade or something, this post and 5 pages with of replies would not have existed. But somehow this sick tragedy has turned into a bizarre Tesla sales pitch. These people were LUCKY to survive.

I walked away completely unharmed from this crash because of the engineering superiority of my TR6.

Scott

TR6 3.jpeg
TR6 4.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, you said it yourself. Had they been in an Escalade or something, this post and 5 pages with of replies would not have existed. But somehow this sick tragedy has turned into a bizarre Tesla sales pitch. These people were LUCKY to survive.

I walked away completely unharmed from this crash because of the engineering superiority of my TR6.

Scott

View attachment 133955View attachment 133956
All over the news was, "Tesla in horrific crash off Devils Slide." The newpapers were the same. Sensationalism galore.
Today's page 1 headline of the San Jose Mercury-News was more of the same.

You will notice I did not use the vehicle make in the title of my thread.
You will also notice the Tesla naysayers quickly chimed in. Big surprise, right?

The bottom line is, the vehicle absorbed the crash incredibly well. The occupants are alive because of it and our Cal Fire and Rescue heroes.

Last edited:
All over the news was, "Tesla in horrific crash off Devils Slide." The newpapers were the same. Sensationalism galore.
Today's page 1 headline of the San Jose Mercury-News was more of the same.

You will notice I did not use the vehicle make in the title of my thread.
You will also notice the Tesla naysayers quickly chimed in. Big surprise, right?

The bottom line is, the vehicle absorbed the crash incredibly well. The occupants are alive because of it and our Cal Fire and Rescue heroes.
That is because you are the first to dismiss any news of fires in Tesla, auto pilot issue etc. And somehow, you skip on other accidents.
As for media, media is paying attention on those who seek attention. Elon’s pitch to sell Tesla is to seek controversy. Works both ways.
No you didn’t mention Tesla in first thread, after that it is Tesla galore.
They are lucky. It just happened they are in Tesla. Same like numerous other people are lucky, and it just happened they are in VW, Toyota etc. My friend was in Nissan Patrol when 120mm mortar round landed on the hood while he was driving. He is deputy sheriff now.
And somehow people die when they really should not.
It is life.

That is because you are the first to dismiss any news of fires in Tesla, auto pilot issue etc. And somehow, you skip on other accidents.
No you didn’t mention Tesla in first thread, after that it is Tesla galore.
They are lucky. It just happened they are in Tesla. Same like numerous other people are lucky, and it just happened they are in VW, Toyota etc. My friend was in Nissan Patrol when 120mm mortar round landed on the hood while he was driving. He is deputy sheriff now.
And somehow people die when they really should not.
It is life.
Tell me where I dismiss news of Tesla fires, AP, etc. I don't. I take issues seriously. When I am wrong I promptly admit it.

Tesla worked out however none of that crash was ever considered in its design or safety.

I would consider it to surviving a jetairliner crash with breakup where maybe 3-8 live while the other 100-300 die.

Can Tesla dig out the camera footage I understand on these vehicles for investigation or even their own curiosity?

The IROC has front/rear offset wheels. At the time, I was still running the original, directional tread Gatorbacks (245/50-16). In an attempt to get a few 1k miles of wear out of them, I rotated the wheels/tires left to right, essentially running the tires "backwards". I made an off-throttle, damp corner at slower than normal speed and I was sideways.

These days, I either seek out non-directional tread tires or just fork out for rotation - demount, remount and re-balance.

I'd say that Tesla did a hell of a great job saving that family! (y)

The car and the child care seats both. My understanding is the kids were basically unharmed. Amazing. Count your blessings, as they say.
Cal Fire, Pacifica Fire, CHP, and the rest live for this stuff. These heroes will put their own safety on the line without a thought. They were repelling down within minutes of the 911 call. Then they saw an arm moving; they instantly went from recover to rescue.

Last edited:
The local news is covering an incredible, horrifying story of a Tesla being driven off a dangerous part of the Pacific Coast Hwy, south of SF.
The drop is 250 to 300 feet. All survived. I can tell you I CRAWL when driving this area.
This family needs to thank their lucky stars and the driver needs to be held responsible for endangering his family's lives.
In Indian newsportals it is said the man did it intentionally.

Last edited:
It is not. You can find numerous articles of: driver of Porsche, driver of Toyota etc.
What will make people focus is the fact that Tesla has history with auto pilot etc.
Deservingly so.
I have not noticed a lot of articles pointing out specific vehicles like Toyotas but have seen quite a few that pointed out Corvettes. And I believe that is due to Corvettes being the highest number of single vehicle accident models, often due to excessive speed or the drivers running out of talent.

Regarding Tesla's history (of accidents is what I assume you are alluding to) with auto pilot the number is so small as to be statistically irrelevant. Sure, there have been a few reports of knuckleheads taking a nap while driving or using the auto pilot feature in a way that it was never intended but not enough to be "deservingly so". Unless of course you are a reporter who hates Tesla and Elon.

Last edited:
I have not noticed a lot of articles pointing out specific vehicles like Toyotas but have seen quite a few that pointed out Corvettes. And I believe that is due to Corvettes being the highest number of single vehicle accident models, often due to excessive speed or the drivers running out of talent.

Regarding Tesla's history (of accidents is what I assume you are alluding to) with auto pilot the number is so small as to be statistically irrelevant. Sure, there have been a few reports of knuckleheads taking a nap while driving or using the auto pilot feature in a way that it was never intended but not enough to be "deservingly so". Unless of course you are a reporter who hates Tesla and Elon.
When you seek media attention to push your products, you get one eventually. Problem is, attention works both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back