Car plunges 250 ft off Devils Slide off Pacific Coast Hwy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to figure out which model Tesla this was model 3 or Y. I couldn’t tell.

Anyway, I am glad everyone survived.
Model S; the big sedan. Correction; I thought the news reported it as a Model S, but I may be wrong. That looks like a Model Y Performance, because of the door handle and Turbine Wheels.
Do you think the wreckage will remain where it is, or that the vehicle, or parts of the vehicle, will be salvaged? Perhaps at least the batteries?
The wreckage is being pulled up with a crane. I am not sure of the current status.

MOVX444JTVHTLFGP7QYB32NY3E.jpg

Last edited:
A common Coastal CA thing is bald tires... maybe the family could afford the status symbol of a Tesla, but couldn't afford to buy new tires, so it's safer in the rainy weather we have been having... and add speed to it.

A common Coastal CA thing is bald tires... maybe the family could afford the status symbol of a Tesla, but couldn't afford to buy new tires, so it's safer in the rainy weather we have been having... and add speed to it.
Tires are good, but may be performance rubber and not so good on wet pavement. With the black door handles, that is a newer car; older cars had chrome. Plus, that car is likely AWD making it pretty stable. This was a case of an idiot driving dangerously and paying the price. He is lucky the car did whatever it did to save the lives of that family.

Tires are good, but may be performance rubber and not so good on wet pavement. With the black door handles, that is a newer car; older cars had chrome. Plus, that car is likely AWD making it pretty stable. This was a case of an idiot driving dangerously and paying the price. He is lucky the car did whatever it did to save the lives of that family.
He was probably just trying to adjust the fan speed and had to go through 6 steps on the touch screen at the wrong point in the drive.

He was probably just trying to adjust the fan speed and had to go through 6 steps on the touch screen at the wrong point in the drive.

This is not time for a Tesla joke. Plus, the fan is adjusted with a voice command; there is no need to take your hands off the wheel or your eyes off the road.

Even if the driver was messing with whatever, he picked a stupid time and place to do it.
This was excessive speed.

Where do you come up with this nonsense? It's a common thing in Madison County, Iowa for pickup trucks to have non-working turn signals ...

Wow! That's quite a wild crash. I'm impressed the car held up as well as it did and that the occupants survived. While it's hard to draw conclusions as there are an infinite number of variables in such a crash, it does seem the car was pretty tough.

Vehicle dynamics are often misunderstood by non capable drivers. A "supercar" really can't go much faster through a corner than a Camry. The idea that you can go twice as fast is absolutely incorrect. A Camry that can pull 0.9G in a 60MPH corner is only 4-5 MPH slower than a supercar.

I've driven there a few times in the past. Always at reasonable speeds. I don't find canyon and cliff driving stressful. My wife can't handle it.
Yeah but not all Camrys have all of the front end parts in decent shape and are equipped with decent tires. Your average neglected Camry with a hundred and twenty thousand miles on it and cheap tires that don't match and one or two of them not worthy of
passing inspection, that a lot of people who are struggling financially to just get by drive on the road nowadays won't even come close to pulling the kind of G's something with good front end parts a proper alignment and good tires that are properly inflated can pull even if it is not a super car.

By the way just because everybody in the vehicle survived the accident doesn't mean that some of them may not have physical problems for the rest of their life from the damage they incurred. I haven't seen anything stating that one way or the other but that is something that is often neglected when they talk about people surviving a bad accident.

By the way just because everybody in the vehicle survived the accident doesn't mean that some of them may not have physical problems for the rest of their life from the damage they incurred. I haven't seen anything stating that one way or the other but that is something that is often neglected when they talk about people surviving a bad accident.
The info is sketchy but apparently the children were in good shape. The parents were air lifted out but did not have life threatening injuries. Let's hope this is accurate and they come out OK

Where do you come up with this nonsense? It's a common thing in Madison County, Iowa for pickup trucks to have non-working turn signals ...
It’s actually true. Why do you think when it rains there is so many accidents? Even after the initial asphalt oil rise to the surface. But the oils theory don’t apply to concrete highway

Even Elon puts cheap no name tires on security Teslas

I did not appreciate the posts suggesting the possibility this horrible accident was intensional. Unfortunately, they may be accurate. From the CHP - San Francisco:

"CHP investigators worked throughout the night interviewing witnesses and gathering evidence from the scene. Based on the evidence collected, investigators developed probable cause to believe this incident was an intentional act. The driver of the Tesla, [I removed name], of Pasadena, California, has been placed under arrest for attempted murder and child abuse. There has been no determination as to what driving mode the Tesla was in; however, that does not appear to be a contributing factor in this incident. Mr. [removed] is being treated for his injuries and will be booked into San Mateo County Jail upon his release from the hospital. This remains an ongoing investigation and no further information is being released at this time"

Unbelievable. Insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back