Car plunges 250 ft off Devils Slide off Pacific Coast Hwy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not appreciate the posts suggesting the possibility this horrible accident was intensional. Unfortunately, they may be accurate. From the CHP - San Francisco:

"CHP investigators worked throughout the night interviewing witnesses and gathering evidence from the scene. Based on the evidence collected, investigators developed probable cause to believe this incident was an intentional act. The driver of the Tesla, [I removed name], of Pasadena, California, has been placed under arrest for attempted murder and child abuse. There has been no determination as to what driving mode the Tesla was in; however, that does not appear to be a contributing factor in this incident. Mr. [removed] is being treated for his injuries and will be booked into San Mateo County Jail upon his release from the hospital. This remains an ongoing investigation and no further information is being released at this time"

Unbelievable. Insanity.
Nothing surprises me anymore. No matter how many laws etc we try to pass to keep people safe , you can never stop a crazy person from doing stupid things to hurt people. Glad all the kids are ok.

I used to ride my motorcycles up and down the coast, Devil's Slide always got my adrenaline pumping. I've always had a bit of a fear of heights and am always cautious when there's a drop-off along a road. Glad to know everyone has survived.
Me too.
Least faves I've driven are Route 12 (in a 71 Chinook)

and the Shafer Trail (in a Dodge 4x4)

That is where the training pays off. You get into situations that are lousy but you go anyway.

I couldn’t tell which agency that was.
Cal Fire and Rescue with assistance from others.
I've attended one of their meetings years ago. They are dead serious and disciplined. All business.

I was just on that road the other day, doing a delivery to Half Moon Bay via Pacifica.

Actually, since the tunnel was built, the scariest part of Devil's Slide is gone.

I prefer this improved route over Highway 92 now, which by the way has been closed at times lately with flooding.

The place is well named, as OP can attest.

What a picture of that crumpled Tesla !

It has been raining lately. But excessive speed was a factor. Driver error was likely the cause, as it is in the high percentage of accidents.
I recently encountered two one-car spinouts within a mile of each other on Highway 280 near Crystal Springs Reservoir.

It was definitely raining heavily, and I started hydroplanning myself, even at a mere 45 mph.

The factory tires are 3/4 gone, and I am getting new Michelin Defender 2's tomorrow !

I zoomed in on the back tire in the picture and from what I could make out the sipes on the outside of that tire are oriented so that when it contacts the ground they channel the water toward the center of the tire. I cannot see how the Sipes on the inside of the vehicle side are facing. But I'm starting to wonder whether that might be a directional Tire that is mounted incorrectly so that it would Channel the water towards the center of the tire making it easy to hydroplane instead of preventing hydroplaning?

Does anybody else know if the sipes on the inside section of that tire would be in the appropriate Direction to remove water from the center of the tire?

If you zoom in on the picture of that back tire and look at the direction of the Sipes and think about the fact that the outermost Edge of each sipe is going to contact the ground first as it comes down onto the ground that would mean that it is going to channel the water toward the center of the tire making it easy for it to hydroplane.

Last edited:
If my suspicion is correct that that back tire that is showing in the picture is a directional tire that is mounted incorrectly and would cause the water to accumulate in the center of the tire causing it to hydroplane that would be very similar to someone having the pit maneuver performed on their vehicle causing the back to slide out and lose complete control of the vehicle. And I wonder if any of the other tires on that vehicle are also directional tires that are mounted incorrectly?

If there are more than one directional Tire mounted incorrectly that would make it even easier for a driver to lose complete control of that vehicle.

If my suspicion is correct that that back tire that is showing in the picture is a directional tire that is mounted incorrectly and would cause the water to accumulate in the center of the tire causing it to hydroplane that would be very similar to someone having the pit maneuver performed on their vehicle causing the back to slide out and lose complete control of the vehicle. And I wonder if any of the other tires on that vehicle are also directional tires that are mounted incorrectly?

If there are more than one directional Tire mounted incorrectly that would make it even easier for a driver to lose complete control of that vehicle.
@UG_Passat is correct about tires, although they seem not to be contributing factor. State of tires on vehicles in CA is absolutely abysmal. Also, take into consideration that many vehicles in CA, vehicles like this, have high performance tires that are not suitable for “winter” there. I have been in CA for last 5 days and weather in SoCal, let alone up North, is far from suitable for performance tires. Rain, weather in high 40’s low 50’s, will make any good performance tire iffy business.

Will a few of you please zoom in on the back tire of that vehicle and comment about whether you think it looks like the sipes on that tire are incorrectly oriented and that is a directional tire that is mounted incorrectly?

If there was any water or snow, or slush on the road at all even one incorrectly mounted directional tires would be a major problem for any driver.

Last edited:
And a wide directional tire mounted wrong way would hydroplane even easier than a regar width directioal mounted the wrong way. And that looks like a very wide tire.

And a wide directional tire mounted wrong way would hydroplane even easier than a regar width directioal mounted the wrong way. And that looks like a very wide tire.
I zoomed earlier to see what kind of tires they are.
It could be both ways. Depends on design of tires.

Model S; the big sedan. Correction; I thought the news reported it as a Model S, but I may be wrong. That looks like a Model Y Performance, because of the door handle and Turbine Wheels.

The wreckage is being pulled up with a crane. I am not sure of the current status.

MOVX444JTVHTLFGP7QYB32NY3E.jpg
97prism is calling this a Model 3, not a Model S or Y. I don’t know, I don’t have a Tesla.

If my memory is correct, wasn’t the Tesla Model S the one that reportedly broke the IIHS roof strength testing equipment?

The latest news snippet . The driver purposly ran the car over the cliff. Tesla seems to build a safe car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back