Car plunges 250 ft off Devils Slide off Pacific Coast Hwy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that Tesla did a hell of a great job saving that family! (y)
Luck was the primary factor. Crash standards do not include flying over a 250 foot cliff at high speed and landing on the rocks below. Simulate that crash 100 times using crash test dummies and those crash test dummies would die 99 times. Their chances of survival would be the same in any modern car.

Scott

Last edited:
Luck was the primary factor. Crash standards do not include flying over a 250 foot cliff at high speed and landing on the rocks below. Simulate that crash 100 times using crash test dummies and those crash test dummies would die 99 times. Their chances of survival would be the same in any modern car.

Scott
You may be right, at least about luck. The car could have landed on its roof, side, whatever.
But the same in any modern car? That is speculation. Teslas earn the highest crash ratings by NHTSA.

You may be right, at least about luck. The car could have landed on its roof, side, whatever.
But the same in any modern car? That is speculation. Teslas earn the highest crash ratings by NHTSA.
Jeff, I definitely agree with you on this. The car having a high crash test rating was surely a factor in their survival. It makes one want to pay more attention to the likes of NHTSA and IIHS when purchasing a car.

Scott

I found the reporting of this story to be a good example of media bias and subliminal messaging against Tesla, which isn't at all surprising. Why was it necessary in the initial reports to point out that it was a Tesla ? Would they have mentioned the make of car had it been just a ubiquitous Camry ? Nope. They needed to plant a seed in readers minds that it may have had something to do with autopilot and a dumb-a** Tesla driver.

We now know that the driver has been charged with a criminal act.

By the way I live in the Sou. Cal. mountains and regularly traverse the State highways that have many hairpin curves and no guard rails which could easily mean a long drop down a steep rocky mountainside. I don't even take my Jaguar out of the garage in wet, snowy, icy or even very cold temperatures as the tires are high performance summer types and get hard and slippery below about 40 degrees.

However I am looking forward to a trip up the PCH in the spring and driving on those types of highways is a joy rather than a panic inducing task.
Don't drive like an idiot and all will be good. That road is as safe as you make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back