Car plunges 250 ft off Devils Slide off Pacific Coast Hwy

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a wide directional tire mounted wrong way would hydroplane even easier than a regar width directioal mounted the wrong way. And that looks like a very wide tire.

Looks like a Michelin Pilot AS4 that comes the Model Y Performance comes with from the factory, according to google. The tread direction looks okay if comparing the 2nd outer-most treads with pictures off tirerack.

Model S; the big sedan. Correction; I thought the news reported it as a Model S, but I may be wrong. That looks like a Model Y Performance, because of the door handle and Turbine Wheels.

The wreckage is being pulled up with a crane. I am not sure of the current status.

MOVX444JTVHTLFGP7QYB32NY3E.jpg
Serious environmental pollution if they don't get it outta there.

I found the reporting of this story to be a good example of media bias and subliminal messaging against Tesla, which isn't at all surprising. Why was it necessary in the initial reports to point out that it was a Tesla ? Would they have mentioned the make of car had it been just a ubiquitous Camry ? Nope. They needed to plant a seed in readers minds that it may have had something to do with autopilot and a dumb-a** Tesla driver.

We now know that the driver has been charged with a criminal act.

By the way I live in the Sou. Cal. mountains and regularly traverse the State highways that have many hairpin curves and no guard rails which could easily mean a long drop down a steep rocky mountainside. I don't even take my Jaguar out of the garage in wet, snowy, icy or even very cold temperatures as the tires are high performance summer types and get hard and slippery below about 40 degrees.

However I am looking forward to a trip up the PCH in the spring and driving on those types of highways is a joy rather than a panic inducing task.

Regarding the tire posts, the CHP has been performing a through investigation of the accident and tire issues have not been mentioned, so far.
It is true however, that Performance Teslas come with summer tires, could be Michelins, Contis or Bridgestones I believe.

This crash appears to be no accident.

The Tesla Model Y saved 4 lives that day. Incredible structure and engineering.
“We were very shocked” to discover that people in the car had survived the crash, said Brian Pottenger, battalion chief with Cal Fire’s Coastside Fire Protection District.
“Accidents on that cliff are not rare. We do respond to a lot of vehicles on that cliff,” he told CNN. “What’s rare is that we do not get a lot of survivors – surviving this type of accident is very rare.”
Pottenger said the car contained an adult male, an adult female, a 9-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl. The children were both secured in car seats, which remained intact and in place, he said.
Crews freed the two children and used a rope to lift them up the cliff in baskets. Later a California Highway Patrol helicopter hoisted the two adults to safety.

I did not appreciate the posts suggesting the possibility this horrible accident was intensional. Unfortunately, they may be accurate. From the CHP - San Francisco:

"CHP investigators worked throughout the night interviewing witnesses and gathering evidence from the scene. Based on the evidence collected, investigators developed probable cause to believe this incident was an intentional act. The driver of the Tesla, [I removed name], of Pasadena, California, has been placed under arrest for attempted murder and child abuse. There has been no determination as to what driving mode the Tesla was in; however, that does not appear to be a contributing factor in this incident. Mr. [removed] is being treated for his injuries and will be booked into San Mateo County Jail upon his release from the hospital. This remains an ongoing investigation and no further information is being released at this time"

Unbelievable. Insanity.
This made me extremely emotional. My heart goes out to those children.

I found the reporting of this story to be a good example of media bias and subliminal messaging against Tesla, which isn't at all surprising. Why was it necessary in the initial reports to point out that it was a Tesla ? Would they have mentioned the make of car had it been just a ubiquitous Camry ? Nope. They needed to plant a seed in readers minds that it may have had something to do with autopilot and a dumb-a** Tesla driver.

By the way I live in the Sou. Cal. mountains and regularly traverse the State highways that have many hairpin curves and no guard rails which could easily mean a long drop down a steep rocky mountainside. I don't even take my Jaguar out of the garage in wet, snowy, icy or even very cold temperatures as the tires are high performance summer types and get hard and slippery below about 40 degrees.

However I am looking forward to a trip up the PCH in the spring and driving on those types of highways is a joy rather than a panic inducing task.
I did that drive up the PCH and 101 last year

The drive up to Big Bear, as also an example of the hairpin curves and no guard rails, which is why Caltrans is overly cautious with the chain controls in the winter.

1672852508918.jpg

And the Angeles Crest highway, is also notoriously dangerous... people driving too fast in a car they have not enough skills for.

IMO, doesn’t matter what CHP says or how thoroughly they conduct their investigation, the driver is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
It’s a very serious accusation.
Agreed. I did not appreciate the thought that this might be true. It is a serious accusation and a serious accident. The driver has been charged and arrested. He will be booked into San Mateo County Jail upon release from the hospital.
I hope it is not true, because if it is, it is pure insanity.

It is not. You can find numerous articles of: driver of Porsche, driver of Toyota etc.
What will make people focus is the fact that Tesla has history with auto pilot etc.
Deservingly so.

It is not. You can find numerous articles of: driver of Porsche, driver of Toyota etc.
What will make people focus is the fact that Tesla has history with auto pilot etc.
Deservingly so.
Actually, this is a testament to the Tesla's safety.

If true, this will have lifetime effects on those two kids. LIFETIME. I really hope it was an accident because the trauma of the accident and now arrest of their "daddy" (if he was a good dad otherwise) will continue this terrible nightmare for them.

My 5 year old is my life and like everyone here, i will do anything to protect him.

It really sounds like there is a smoking gun, a dash cam or something.

CHP is immediately speaking in strident terms, dare I say, like Idaho.

Agreed. I did not appreciate the thought that this might be true. It is a serious accusation and a serious accident. The driver has been charged and arrested. He will be booked into San Mateo County Jail upon release from the hospital.
I hope it is not true, because if it is, it is pure insanity.

It really sounds like there is a smoking gun, a dash cam or something.

CHP is immediately speaking in strident terms, dare I say, like Idaho.
If they have brought charges this soon, I'm sure he admitted it or got testimony from the wife and kids. Mental issues need to be dealt with so this doesn't happen. Looks like the guy was a medical doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back