Car plunges 250 ft off Devils Slide off Pacific Coast Hwy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local news is covering an incredible, horrifying story of a Tesla being driven off a dangerous part of the Pacific Coast Hwy, south of SF.
The drop is 250 to 300 feet. All survived. I can tell you I CRAWL when driving this area.
This family needs to thank their lucky stars and the driver needs to be held responsible for endangering his family's lives.

I used to ride my motorcycles up and down the coast, Devil's Slide always got my adrenaline pumping. I've always had a bit of a fear of heights and am always cautious when there's a drop-off along a road. Glad to know everyone has survived.

Wow! That's quite a wild crash. I'm impressed the car held up as well as it did and that the occupants survived. While it's hard to draw conclusions as there are an infinite number of variables in such a crash, it does seem the car was pretty tough.

Vehicle dynamics are often misunderstood by non capable drivers. A "supercar" really can't go much faster through a corner than a Camry. The idea that you can go twice as fast is absolutely incorrect. A Camry that can pull 0.9G in a 60MPH corner is only 4-5 MPH slower than a supercar.

I've driven there a few times in the past. Always at reasonable speeds. I don't find canyon and cliff driving stressful. My wife can't handle it.

Looks like the car held up pretty well. Unless he was drunk or on drugs I'm not sure what could be done to hold him any more responsible.

I once took a drive on the coastal highway in northern California. I stopped at a turnout to admire the view. Looking down I saw a number of old automotive carcasses down the hill. They've been there for years.

The local news is covering an incredible, horrifying story of a Tesla being driven off a dangerous part of the Pacific Coast Hwy, south of SF.
The drop is 250 to 300 feet. All survived. I can tell you I CRAWL when driving this area.
This family needs to thank their lucky stars and the driver needs to be held responsible for endangering his family's lives.
Can't help but wonder if the heavy bottom of the car kept it from tumbling and twisting a lot. Glad it didn't catch fire.

That happens on a regular basis. I used to ride motorcylces there often, I don't see how it happens.

The female witness said the Tesla was going way too fast (eye test) and the barrier was intact. At this point, without more information, it sounds like a reckless driver...especially with the children in the car. Let's hope everyone is healthy and that my judgment is off base.

Looks like the car held up pretty well. Unless he was drunk or on drugs I'm not sure what could be done to hold him any more responsible.
The car's event recorder would be interesting to see. They could charge the driver with dangerous driving as a start. He could have easily gone across lanes to collect other vehicles and go over the cliff.

i drove the pch 5-6 years ago, south to north, in a hertz chevy impala, as a favor to an old friend sightseeing from taiwan with his new, second wife. the first hour was pleasant and interesting, the rest of my wheel time (and his trophy wife) wasn’t. i wouldn’t do the pch again, either as the driver or passenger. the impala wasn’t bad at all, actually, and i would consider one if searching for a sedan cruiser.

Last edited:
Reckless driving at the minimum. It's nothing short of a miracle anyone is alive. That car is built like a tank.
Latest reports say the 2 kids in the back are fine; hard to believe.
“We were actually very shocked when we found (survivors) in the vehicle,” the firefighter said. Two adults in the vehicle had non-life-threatening injuries and two children were not hurt, the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office reported.

There is also a taxpayer cost to this. Heck, the rescue alone probably cost $1M.

Last edited:
I was trying to figure out which model Tesla this was model 3 or Y. I couldn’t tell.

Anyway, I am glad everyone survived.

There is also a taxpayer cost to this. Heck, the rescue alone probably cost $1M.
Do you think the wreckage will remain where it is, or that the vehicle, or parts of the vehicle, will be salvaged? Perhaps at least the batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back