Car Battery recommendation - Size 124R

Looking to replace the battery on my daughter's 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. It appears that the part stores are no longer the best option (can't use coupons at AAP).

I was looking at Sam's Club, Walmart, and Menards. They all have a 124R battery for the same price--about $120.

Sam's - Duracell
Walmart - Everstart Maxx
Menard's - AC Delco Advantage

Any one of these stand out over the others?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Last battery we purchased was for wife's F150. Got it at Sam's Club. Duracell is made by East Penn, as I understand it. Have had best luck with East Penn batteries. We got her jumped and less than one hour later, she was on the road again. Sam's did the install.

If one of them is made by Deka/East Penn, get that one
It looks like the Duracells are; however, the reviews on the Sam's site are less than stellar, some saying they die within two years.

The Everstart Maxx is made by Johnson Controls. The AC Delco made by Middle East Battery Company.

East Penn branded. I have seen the poor reviews on their site though. Makes you wonder if many had underlying charging/ low use cycles/ those that never charged them with an external charger. But thinking about it, did they have manufacturing outside the US some now? I know that’s pretty common these days. Most Johnson controls leaked early that I’ve used.

of those you mention...near ChicagoLand the Everstart Maxx and the Costco Interstate appeared to be the same battery with the same specs and were both made by Clarios (the former Johnson Controls Inc)...the Menard's AC Delco was made by a South Korean firm and had slightly lower CCA/CA RC (three numbers I always check along with warranty) and if it makes a difference to you the AC Delco/Menard's warranty is serviced by Menard's and NOT by AC Delco...

if it were me, I'd get whichever is less money between the Walmart Everstart Maxx and the Costco Interstate while remembering which might be easier to get service/warranty from should you ever need that...

Bill

I gave up on batteries. Buy the most locally available, or cheapest with the warranty you want, and get on with life. Whether it lasts or not is now irrelevant and like a 'box of chocolates'. Take a picture of the receipt since it will fade away to dust. SamsClub couldn't find my battery purchases with their membership card lookup and receipt was blank. Manager overrode the 'denial' from the battery department. Got my free battery swap. No menards or costco around here. So, its either autopart store(overpriced), sams/wallyworld, or online delivery(with cracked case and leaks). Walmarted doesn't require a membership and has pretty good customer service. I'd start there. Everstart for $120 gets the vote!

Average battery life photo from a battery seller/manufacturer:

battery life.jpg

I have the 124R Everstart Maxx in both my cars. Slightly too big for the Accent but it fits.

As far as South Korean batteries, both mine came with OE S Korean made and both never did give it up all the way. 8 years anyway. I took the OE battery out of the Gen Coupe and out it in the Accent for two years. OE Accent one lasted 9 years.

Accent had a Solite and the Gen Coupe Rocket for battery manufactures.

in the last year i’ve replaced original batteries with aaa at-home delivery ($165, 2013 vw passat, in coastal ne) and walmart evermaxx ($125, 2014 toyota yaris, in desert sw) after much research. i would have tried costco but it isn’t an option for me. i’m happy with both choices.

my sister’s 2006 toyota highlander 4cyl seems to eat batteries. she has benefited from aaa’s fine warranty coverage.

I gave up on batteries. Buy the most locally available, or cheapest with the warranty you want, and get on with life. Whether it lasts or not is now irrelevant and like a 'box of chocolates'. Take a picture of the receipt since it will fade away to dust.
Exactly! In fact, I purchased the cheapest AAP battery in an emergency and it's been fine. Every bit as good as my Costco purchases. Correct on the receipt too.

Looks like the battery in my 83 Silverado is on it's death throes, the truck is parked most of the time and only driven every couple of weeks, went on it's drive to keep the fluids circulated, I'll drive it for 45 min's and on the way home stopped for some gas, battery died, got it jumped by O'Reillys and took her home. 2 hrs later it started right up, battery has a date code of 07/18. Battery is a Group 78. :unsure:

My last 2 Interstate batteries have lasted 21 and 22 months. Both replaced under warranty.

I always thought Interstate was the best. Now I’m not so sure.

Interstate became splotchy - hit and miss. Some still stay with them. JCI for me has been consistent but not infallible. They seem to provide reliable results, with more issues coming from how long it’s sat on the shelf. JCI AGM have been good for us, with life typically well beyond the warranty period. I’ve moved to East Penn / deka since they are sold locally here and have theirs in a deep cycle which is holding up great.

It looks like the Duracells are; however, the reviews on the Sam's site are less than stellar, some saying they die within two years.

The Everstart Maxx is made by Johnson Controls. The AC Delco made by Middle East Battery Company.
Johnson Controls got out of the battery business years ago.

Back