Car amp request

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Looking for a car amp that takes line level inputs, self-turns on based upon the presence of those inputs, and has good quality sound.

Suggestions?

Tired of the slew of wires with an llc with turn on capability and all the rest of the mess.

I have one for sale that meets your requirements. I'll PM you a link so as not to break any rules. I don't list things here anymore....too many Yada Yada posters that don't respect that someone is trying to sell an item and doesn't want a world of opinions.

PM Sent

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
to power what?

sorry, 2-channels for some small speakers (5 1/4 type).

You can, of course try online places like Crutchfield. Also, there is a company called Elemental Designs that builds their own audio equipment, it's not expensive and they often have excellent sale prices.

Parts Express is another place you could try. They also have a monthly sales flyer.

You could purchase a really nice, high quality amp from any of these sources.

IMHO get a class-D amp (aka "tripath"). highly compact and performance (efficiency) is great! best of all: no need to do it like the traditional class "A" or "AB" or cheep class "B" type SS amps where it would require a built-in step ups to up the power rail in order to get enough drive for the driver stage (remember: 12V is not enough in this case).

Q.

Having competed in caraudio competitions for a number of years I'll run off a few brands that I would prefer over others.

Sundown audio, Digital Designs, RE audio, Fi Audio, Atomic, Mmats, Kicker.

You cannot go wrong with Sundown, DD, FI, and or RE for their equipment. Its top notch stuff that will last you the life of the car.

Here are a few of the trophies that I've acquired....

DSCF0378.jpg

Last edited:
So my issue is that what I am still not finding is an amplifier that allows me to connect high-level inputs and NO remote turn-on. Line-level converters are sold that provide a 12V signal to an amplifier when voltage is sensed on a speaker wire.

For simplicity sake Im looking for an amp that has that utility built in.

Really, the connections I want on this amp is the main power in and ground connections, and then the lines in and lines out. In other words, no remote turn-on connection and no need to send RCA cables into it, creating the need for a line-level converter elsewhere in the circuit.

Wait, do you want line level or speaker level inputs?

I think I've seen amps that do auto turn-on with speaker level inputs.

For line level, does such a unit exist?

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Wait, do you want line level or speaker level inputs?

I think I've seen amps that do auto turn-on with speaker level inputs.

For line level, does such a unit exist?

I think I used the wrong term. I want speaker-level inputs. I want to take the wires that right now come from my HU directly to the speakers, and feed them to the amp instead. Let the amp use the presence or lack thereof of voltage on the speaker wire to turn itself on or off.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I have no experience with an amp that fits your requirements. You can use a line-in converter on any with unputs.

Currently I have a line converter that takes a +12V, ground, and speaker-level inputs, and outputs to the RCA cables and a remote turn-on line.

I want to simplify wiring. No reason this couldnt all be integrated into the amp itself. That is what Im looking for.

For speaker level inputs, the Kicker DX amps are what I had in mind as well. I don't know how good they are. The DX125.2 (2-channel) and DX200.4 (4-channel) are both $100 shipped from Sonic Electronix.

Edit: I checked out that Alpine MRX-F30 ($165). Looks nice as well.

Last edited:
DX amps have the remote input to turn on. The alpine looks like it might have te setup Im looking for...

Alpine MRX-F30:

For the “Speaker Level Input System” setting, connecting the
Remote Turn-On Lead is not required due to the “REMOTE
SENSING” function of this product. However, the “REMOTE
SENSING” function may not work depending on the signal
source connected. In such a case, connect the Remote Turn-
On Lead to an incoming power supply cord (accessory power)
in the ACC position.

Sounds like it to me!!!

Thanks!

The kicker dx website had "Additionally, a choice of three automatic turn-on modes (remote, DC offset, signal sense) provides ultimate flexibility." I don't know if it says different in a manual or not, I don't have any of these amps or their manuals, just going by what's on the websites.

I was under the impression that just about any amp with speaker-level inputs would turn on and off automatically without a remote turn-on wire, when the speaker inputs are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back