50 AMP Dual Fuel Generator Choices

Well, my bubble just got busted. The propane company just came by and won’t run a permanent propane line to a portable generator. Fiddle gadfly jumping Jehoshaphat.

They will run a permanent line if it is 10 feet from tank and the portable tank remains outside and stays connected.

$750 for the 15 foot buried line and $157 for the permit. Assuming I put the generator under my deck. Long story…

I’m depressed. 😔

I’m now leaning towards a 30-40 gal tank. I already have two 20 gal Blackstone grill tanks.

Can anyone talk me down?

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind. We have a 120Lb.. but I wonder in an extended outage that isnt going to last long, even worse what if it is between fill-ups?, yet if you have a gas can you could extend that time forever by switching over.

One thing for sure, your NG is an unlimited supply and a nice option (one that I wish we had) as you stated as long as you compensate for the BTU difference.
Im still on the fence if we get one, wife wants one but we are starting to calm down on the idea. New home on the coast this year, still, I hear outages are rare. But you can count on one big one every ten years or 2 moderates.
Our last home couple hundred miles inland, never had a black out lasting longer than 4 hours in 16 years.

Now in the new home my wife was the big push in this, until she made it through hurricane season will nary a breeze. *LOL* Santa gave her a Coleman propane lantern for Christmas *LOL* Kind of as a joke, as she was ready with candles every threat of a tropical storm.
We're on the Chesapeake Bay so I get the heavy weather prep concerns. We're building the retirement home now and it is directly on the water. I'll have a 500 gallon propane tank there so will most likely go with a permanent backup gen solution for that place since it is just easier to prebuild that into the initial electrical install. Have been looking at the Kohler 14Kw ones but the salt air environment really has me concerned about the lifespan of a permanent install, neighbors have a big generac that isn't 6 or 7 years old and looks like it is 50.

I'm not aware of a 120Lb propane tank, but if it is a 120 Gallon tank you should be able to go a while on that if you figure 1-2 gallons an hour(depending on load) and that you wouldn't need to run it 24/7.

You might want to look into the bigger Yamaha or Honda inverter generators, they aren't cheap but they can run on propane or gasoline and have the Eco mode, can also wheel them out when needed and not have to leave them exposed to the salt air all the time.

I am looking for a portable dual fuel generator that has a 50 amp connector. There are many choices and the prices are all over
the place. In my limited research I have sorta got to the point of choosing between Westinghouse and DuroMax. The
Westinghouse is a lot cheaper and has great reviews. I am assuming the DuroMax is higher quality? IDK??? Maybe this
is too subjective of a question? I will accept any anecdotal input.

My max is $1500. I will be using propane that has a hard line run from tank to side of house.
You'll have to come up with your own extension line for the gen as you can't "legally" have a permanent gas line going to a portable gen. I think you can have a line to an outside grill though. The gen will need low pressure anyway, so you can just attach the LP regulator onto the propane line and rune a hose to the gen.
I assume you have a propane tank at the house that is 120-500 gal?

Also, everything with that NEMA 14-50 plug/receptacle is expensive.

You'll have to come up with your own extension line for the gen as you can't "legally" have a permanent gas line going to a portable gen. I think you can have a line to an outside grill though. The gen will need low pressure anyway, so you can just attach the LP regulator onto the propane line and rune a hose to the gen.
I assume you have a propane tank at the house that is 120-500 gal?
Either 500 or 600 gal underground tank.

We're on the Chesapeake Bay so I get the heavy weather prep concerns. We're building the retirement home now and it is directly on the water. I'll have a 500 gallon propane tank there so will most likely go with a permanent backup gen solution for that place since it is just easier to prebuild that into the initial electrical install. Have been looking at the Kohler 14Kw ones but the salt air environment really has me concerned about the lifespan of a permanent install, neighbors have a big generac that isn't 6 or 7 years old and looks like it is 50.

I'm not aware of a 120Lb propane tank, but if it is a 120 Gallon tank you should be able to go a while on that if you figure 1-2 gallons an hour(depending on load) and that you wouldn't need to run it 24/7.
Wow, never thought about that, I get the "salt air" effect. We are a few miles from the ocean and intracoastal. When down at the water you look at the AC units that are a little older. Some units the aluminum fins are completely gone, corroded away in places and you can see the copper tubes. *LOL*

I made a huge error, bear with me, we are new to propane for a home, never had it before until this year 2023.
It is a 120 gallon tank referred to as a 420 lb. It's used to hot water, gas cooktop and fireplace. I did want to get a line run for the gas grill so I dont have to deal with the small ones, not sure if I will or not. Thanks for that correction.

IMG_6545.JPG

Either 500 or 600 gal underground tank.
Yeah, so you can run a long time on that, assume 1-2 gal per hour depending on load.

Can you not pull your own permits in your county? Its not like transplanting a kidney type of work, have the utilities marked, rent a ditch witch and get after it.

But I am so tired of dragging my old generator around the house to get it where it needs to be and then running cords everywhere. Filling up Gasoline cans that are hateful as heck to pour. Lol.

I decided to bite the bullet but not go all the way to a whole house generator.
Whole house is better , that being said I just put my portable in a close my shed and ran a 220V 30amp back feed circuit with lockout breaker in Main to it. The gas is not fun I concur.

I’d get whatever Costco has and utilize their lifetime warranty if/when needed.

Just get a long rubber propane hose to plug in like a barbecue connection. Hook up the hose when needed.

That firman is on sale here for 700$ currently
(if you have one near you its regional)

If its winter it may not run off a small tank long they can get too cold.. you can gang a couple tanks together.

Last edited:
Well, I got the Duromax Dual Fuel 15000. Ordered direct from Duromax. Got it this Wed. Shipping was quick. I got the cover as
well. Now, that was a joke. Flimsy thin. Nothing like the cover on my Blackstone or Kamado Joe.

Gonna get a 100 lb propane tank for $139 and propane for $2.49/gal. Then I gotta figure out the connectors.

Running Advanced Lubes break in oil 5W-30 for the first 6-8 hours.

So far, so good.

Back