cap monthly student-loan payments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary,

The reason why I asked about the trade school (vocational) training cause I worked with medical equipment/electronics for 16 years (GE Clinical Services and Dräger Medical) due to my military training in electronics, I got an AAS degree (electronics) from the Community College of the Air Force. Many opportunities in Biomed if you have a decent understanding of electronic principles.

Some colleges are 'degree mills' pumping out students with business degrees that couldn't run a lemonade stand on Miami Beach during the hottest summer days.
frown.gif

Yes but that is mainly due to the "value" of business degrees. THere is the tempt for money, but the money is few and far between. The lack of a grasp of the underlying "physics" (i.e. calculus, chemistry, etc.) of why the world works, or the hands-on experience which you cite, makes all the difference in the world.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Some colleges are 'degree mills' pumping out students with business degrees that couldn't run a lemonade stand on Miami Beach during the hottest summer days.
frown.gif

I think that might be the quote of the year!

When in doubt, get your degree in business. I did! At least I had the math skills to tough out an accounting degree. I'd be up [censored] creek (as are LOTS of kids) with degrees in general business, management, or marketing.

Quote:
frown.gif

Well, college for some is just a socialization process. For some it's merely for an MRS. Degree ..which is going with the socialization process. Mainly, current surpluses taken out of the mix for the moment, it's been an ante one needs to pay for a "good job". It's much like the former high level entrance exams that were deemed too white oriented in things like civil service/police/etc.. There we had an abundance of well educated people and you had to filter them somehow for the "good jobs".

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with a person who isn't college material to seek vocational schooling. Vocational schools are incredibly underrated, yet so important to our economy and well-being as a country.

Vocational training like what ?????
21.gif

truck driving, technician training (medical, electrical, power, mechanical, etc.) as just a few.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
There's an Indian cashier at the local 7-11. He's starting his residency in oncology soon. In our discussions he brought up how soon there will be 1000 patients per doctor. He asks, "Who will care for these people" ..meaning the lay people to do all the "rest of the story". I immediately replied "Mexicans" ..which made him laugh out loud.

This gives me an idea for my next career path.

Well, they are just about the only exemption and exception from our demographic trap. Most immigrants ..legal or illegal, aren't retiring any time soon. The advantage we have with diversity visas is that we can somewhat cherry pick those that we let in. Illegals, due to passive restrictions upon them, will eventually (w/costs) integrate into the mainstream on some of the lower strata in demand jobs. 2 or 3 generations later, I don't think it will quite make a difference where anyone came from.

I was talking to a kid that will graduate next year from Embry-Riddle with an engineering degree. I asked him what he expects to make right out of college if he can find a job.

He told me that he won't work for less than $80,000 a year.
shocked2.gif

I chuckled to myself cause his attitude is that he is entitled to a good paying job just cause of his degree, he doesn't have a clue just how tough the job market is for someone with zero work experience. He expects to land a job with Boeing.
21.gif

I was talking to a kid that will graduate next year from Embry-Riddle with an engineering degree. I asked him what he expects to make right out of college if he can find a job.

shocked2.gif

I chuckled to myself cause his attitude is that he is entitled to a good paying job just cause of his degree, he doesn't have a clue just how tough the job market is for someone with zero work experience. He expects to land a job with Boeing.
21.gif

LOL, see that every day these days.

I LOATHE the "pass" attitude that I'm seeing every day these days.

"51% is wasted effort, 49% is a wasted year" is the motto of a lot of them.

When I paid for (the last 2 years of) my degree, I wanted every bit of knowledge and insight I could get from my lecturers.

I wish my loans would be wiped clean. At the rate i'm going it won't be paid off until 2022. I'm 28 now, i'll be 40-41 when it's paid off
frown.gif

Sounds like my wife. Has to get med school loans to do what she loves, but doesn't get paid MD rates. Alas, no boat for us.

I want it zapped away. I'll call em and say "2 bucks is all I have, take it or leave it and close the account". See if they bite.

I hear ya on the mentality. I myself went through 4 years of school and at the least year was kicked out of Business school and university(two grades below C, was retaking the classes THAT semester, suffice to say, fighting etc I lost). So i'm paying my tuition for an education I didn't complete(i was a 3.0 average except that previous semester). While at school they filled your head with that nonsense that you will MAKE MORE than a person without a degree, and yes for some they will.

For me, my experience is what landed me a job in a field totally unrelated to what I had been going to school for. My hobby, became my career(I'm a system's support analyst for pharmaceutical companies.).

I didn't say or expect anything, I am confident, and I think that has more to do with landing a good job. Confidence and experience. Looking back at my days at the University, I want to go back just to learn about the subjects that interested me but I'll never go back with the expectation that it is better for me.

School is a business, a good one, with high profits and low investment. They try to manipulate you, break you and hammer it into your head that if you don't come to this place of higher education you will amount to NOTHING. And for some it works, they work a dead end job getting paid minimum wage for the rest of their lives. Then there are people who take what they have, what they know and push into opportunity.

If I owned a company, the last thing I would want, is a NO EXPERIENCE, book educated baboon. I want the guy that went to the school of life, learned life's lessons and learned what it means to work along side his education. If you only have the book education get the life education and come back to me. If you have life education, then your golden. Life education will teach you far more than a book ever will(unless its one of the big sciences).

Business School, or Business Experience? I went to school for administration and management and I learned nothing important. A diagram about decision making and how to make a decision, all common sense but somewhat deemed important and to be followed at all times. Business is a beast, unpredictable. You do not predict it, you adapt and conform to it. Analyzing countless corporation studies and performing lecture upon lecture about their faults and how they could have turned around. In Business school they literally tried to make you into an elitist, Starbucks drinking, I'm better than you snob. Work for big brother and get big gains.

I had to deal with so many "educated" kids that had such a [censored] poor work ethic and wanted to get paid more than I was getting paid.

It's ridiculous. This is the elitist [censored] that gets drummed into their heads. This mentality is what makes loan companies thrive. Don't be egotistical, be human. If your human, you get your degree and you stand out from the rest of your peers because you know something about the real world they don't. The world gives you what you put into it, nothing more and nothing less.

Goto school, get your education, but pair it with other useful opportunities.

Last edited:

shocked2.gif

21.gif

It depends on how good he is and what kind of degree. In our field it is very reasonable to start at 70k-75k without experience, unless you need green card sponsorship, then they can gouge you for a very low salary (i.e. 40k)

Originally Posted By: Anies
In Business school they literally tried to make you into an elitist, Starbucks drinking, I'm better than you snob. Work for big brother and get big gains.

Well said. MBA is really just a fashion show and at most it teaches you accounting, finance, HR, and marketing etc that really doesn't do much to real products and solution to what our world needed. It is there to get "connection" and "look professional" rather than learning the hard core technical aspect of the businesses.

Hint: the trading algorithm and complex math that wall street uses for trades are all written by scientists and engineers from MIT, rather than those men in suits from Harvard and Yale.

thumbsup2.gif
I am a supporter.

I understand though an educated population across all income/class groups can make some(uneducated, elite, conservatives) uncomfortable.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
thumbsup2.gif
I am a supporter.

I understand though an educated population across all income/class groups can make some(uneducated, elite, conservatives) uncomfortable.

If you are so educated, please tell me what right do you have to take money that I earned and pay-off someone else's school loan??? Do not forget to site a relevant Article of US Constitution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
thumbsup2.gif
I am a supporter.

I have no problem with the educated. I simply have a problem with those who think they are in a better position to determine how to spend my money than I am.

Folks can be as smart, educated, whatever as they want. Just don't demand that I pay for it beyond the high school diploma.

Let them get scholarships, get jobs like I did. Don't just take money out of my pocket in higher taxes to pay other peoples debts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back