Can't seem to find Super Tech 5w-20 at Wal-Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that Wal-Mart no longer carries Super Tech 5w-20, which I've used for a few years now on my 130k mile '01 Ford Taurus 24v. According to a few employees that I've asked, it's no longer on the 'order' list for a few of the stores in my area.

Two questions: 1) Am I completely out of my mind for using Super-Tech oil?
smile.gif
(I've been using it since I ran Auto-Rx through it...and maintain it with LC20. The results: stellar!)

Second question: Is there any negative effect of me switching to SuperTech 5w-30,even though the manufacturer calls for 5w-20? Or, as my wife tells me, she I stop being so cheap and pony up for the 'name brand' 5w=20?

Question 1: No you're not out of your mind if you're seeing good results.

Question 2: I also have the 24v Duratec in my Taurus. I've used 5w-30 and 10w-30 without any problems whatsoever. In fact 5w-30 was originally speced in this engine before the whole 5w-20 movement began at Ford.

Greggy D,

Did you ever notice a drop in gas mileage with 10w-30 on the Taurus? I remember reading that one of the factors in the whole 5w-20 transition was to raise the CAFE standards at the various automakers.

-DavidM

Nothing that I could blame on the 10w-30. There's so many other factors that affect mileage (weather, hwy/city ratio, winter gas, tire pressure, etc). I saw the same type of mileage readings with all 3 grades (5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30). And when I say the "same type" I mean my mileage was slightly up and down from tank to tank with all 3. BTW the 10w-30 I run (and is currently installed on my Taurus) is TropArtic's Syn Blend (rated SM). I bought case upon case of it when Dollar Tree had it last year for $1 a quart. This oil appears to slightly quiet the engine at idle also.

G-MAN,

I'm not sure how they figure out what to carry, but the two Wal-Marts nearest me always had it. It was a great deal, too, since they normally retailed it at $1.24/qt. Had I known, I would have stocked up before they dropped it!

-DavidM

Quote:

The Wal-Marts in my area have never carried ST 5w20.
dunno.gif

NO KIDDING! I would have stocked up on ST 5W20! Never, ever seen it!
shocked.gif

I've run 30 weights plenty in my Honda since that's usually what's on the sale table. I've never seen a difference in mpg.

Have they got Motorcraft? It's not that much more expensive. Of course, neither is the Quakerstate.

I don't think they have Motorcraft, but I have seen Quakerstate around $1.90 a quart. Sometimes they have the gallon jug of QS on sale, which usually brings it into the $1.70 range.

CharBaby: "I've never seen ST 5W30 in my neck of the woods either!

OOPS! I meant, that I've never seen ST 5W20 at WalMart only 5W30, 10W30, (10W40, 15W40 non deisel and straight 30). The last 3 I only see on occasion.

I've seen Tech 2000 (Canadian version of Supertech) 5W20 up here. Costs quite a bit more than the other viscosities though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back