Can't Get My Michelins

Status
Not open for further replies.
All depends on the mechanic right? Pa has inspections done by licensed shops/mechanics whatever. I had a trusted indie who didn't cheat and I didn't want him to. There were probably mechs with loose standards, didn't know or care.

I wish Az had inspections, it's unbelievable what you see on the roads.

So you're saying you buy stickers from a shady mechanic?
The tuning market is huge in the US as there are thousands of performance cars running around on the street with cat-less downpipes. People in that community always "know a guy".

You've already ordered the Contis...but how long were the Michelins on back order? If it was that important to you, you could have simply driven on old tires with an expired inspection sticker, or gone in and failed the last day of the month and gotten the pink sticker which is good for another 15 days after issue.

Not to mention there are shops where your tires may have passed.
My dealer said something about 60 plus days after talking with Michelin.

These tires are unsafe. We just purchased the car from our son. He hadn’t driven it since 2019.
I had never looked at the tires until this month prior to having it inspected.

Also, lights, horn, wipers, etc.

The inspection stations are inspected by the State Police. Where I go, the owner says he is sure they have had undercover troopers
come in as regular "customers" to check up on how the inspection station is doing their inspections. They will jerk your "license" for
a certain period of time if they deem you are cutting corners in the inspection.

A long time ago, I went to a different shop and he was doing
an inspection every 15 minutes (or so) as he wasn't doing a thorough inspection.
So word of mouth got "everyone" going there. He got busted for not pulling
the cars into the bay as the State Police was watching him from across the road.
He would be doing 2 cars at a time with one in the bay and one in the parking lot.
He lost his license for one year. Therefore, I had to find another inspection station.

Like Astro14 said, they don't play here in VA.
According to an article I read, it takes about 45 minutes to do a proper inspection in my state. Pretty much all the local station take about 5-10 minutes and a couple of those minutes are just for scraping off the old sticker and putting on the new one. So a guy taking 15 is being more through than inspection stations in my state.

You already bought the Contis but you show 4 other vehicles, are none of them drivable until your preferred tires show up?
I can drive all my cars. Actually I should sell a few. I don’t like leaving a wounded soldier in my driveway. Especially after just paying too much money for it. :oops:
I am very meticulous with my cars as has been noted.

Michelin Corp told dealer something about a minimum of 60 days but that was no guarantee. Seems weird to me?

Last edited:
Well, I am depressed. The tires I need for my IS350 are on backorder. I cannot pass state inspection with current tires.
State inspection is due this month. I feel like I am committing adultery. I'm gonna have to cheat on my life long Michelin
relationship (30+ Years). My Michelin dealer tried to locate them but to no avail.

Please don't tell me I can get them from here or there or Amazon. I am loyal to my dealer. I can't commit 2 adulteries back
to back.

I have chosen Continental Extreme DWS 06 + as my mistress.
Is the dealer also an installer? If that’s the case I’d buy online and let him know it’s ok to charge you an appropriate upcharge to install tires you sourced yourself. I do that when I have to use an Indy mechanic for stuff. Pay a little extra to use my parts I prefer like ball joints with grease zerks. Win-win since he probably can add his margin for the tires and doesn’t have to source anything for it, and you get to keep the relationship happy.

Is the dealer also an installer? If that’s the case I’d buy online and let him know it’s ok to charge you an appropriate upcharge to install tires you sourced yourself. I do that when I have to use an Indy mechanic for stuff. Pay a little extra to use my parts I prefer like ball joints with grease zerks. Win-win since he probably can add his margin for the tires and doesn’t have to source anything for it, and you get to keep the relationship happy.
That is a very good idea. I never considered that. If I am in this situation again, I will go that route. I wonder how much margin is on a $200 tire?

Thank you! I’ll ask him tomorrow to get his feelings on it.

Also, lights, horn, wipers, etc.

The inspection stations are inspected by the State Police. Where I go, the owner says he is sure they have had undercover troopers
come in as regular "customers" to check up on how the inspection station is doing their inspections. They will jerk your "license" for
a certain period of time if they deem you are cutting corners in the inspection.

A long time ago, I went to a different shop and he was doing
an inspection every 15 minutes (or so) as he wasn't doing a thorough inspection.
So word of mouth got "everyone" going there. He got busted for not pulling
the cars into the bay as the State Police was watching him from across the road.
He would be doing 2 cars at a time with one in the bay and one in the parking lot.
He lost his license for one year. Therefore, I had to find another inspection station.

Like Astro14 said, they don't play here in VA.
I have new appreciation for VA :)

I had to get BF Goodrich instead of Michelin CC2 for my in-laws Pilot.
Getting WS90 for wife’s Tiguan as soon as Costco get them on discount next week bcs. they have more tires on back order than available.

I’ve run both conti DSW’s and PAS+3s on my Scion tCs. Just got the Mich AS4s on my Scion last Friday at Costco. I think I like the Contis in the snow better. Some pepole say they have a softer sidewall, so watch out for potholes.

I agree. But the State doesn’t. They have to log in each inspection over the Internet as they are done. So…you better not be logging in one inspection every 15 minutes. The two stations I am familiar with make you wait 30 minutes minimum. That’s how they have learned to play the game.
We're slackers in this state. There's a computer print out after you get your inspection so it'd be pretty easy for them to figure out which stations are taking 5-10 minutes per inspection. But it's been like that for years.

I had to get BF Goodrich instead of Michelin CC2 for my in-laws Pilot.
Getting WS90 for wife’s Tiguan as soon as Costco get them on discount next week bcs. they have more tires on back order than available.
BTW: Michelin owns BFG... so don't feel too unfaithful, you're still in the family. some Michelins are made in BFG plants, and vice versa.

Continental owns General Tire. The OE Conti's that came on Dad's Escape were made at the General tire Plant in Marion, IL.

BTW: Michelin owns BFG... so don't feel too unfaithful, you're still in the family. some Michelins are made in BFG plants, and vice versa.

Continental owns General Tire. The OE Conti's that came on Dad's Escape were made at the General tire Plant in Marion, IL.
Yeah, I am aware of all that.
My point was about back orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back